V8 Solistice

Started by Fire It Up, June 04, 2005, 05:25:29 PM

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Catman

I'm sure the weight bias will be perfect! :rolleyes:  

giant_mtb

That thing would probably tip up onto its nose without massive shock/spring stiffening.  :rolleyes:   Probably handles a lot worse too.  Fast, though.  B)  

Fire It Up

HOw much does that V8 weigh?

TBR

Actually, weight distrubution probably won't be bad at all. Even with more than twice the displacement, the LS2 probably doesn't weigh just a whole lot more than the 2.4l DOHC (that is the important part) I4.

Fire It Up

How much is not a lot though?

TBR

QuoteHow much is not a lot though?
Not enough to matter, especially since, if I remember correctly, the Solstice has FM engine placement.  

Fire It Up

Not enough to matter, especially since, if I remember correctly, the Solstice has FM engine placement.
Oh. But I think its way to expensive, unless it can way outperform the Vette.

bobwill

According to the guys over at LS1tech, an LS1 V8 weighs about 400lbs completely assembled with oil.  A 2.2L L61 Ecotec according to GM Powertrain built, but dry of all fluids weighs 291.7lbs.  So figure 400lbs versus 300lbs between the two engines.
To put it into perspective, having Kate Moss in the seat next to you would throw off the handling more than this conversion.

Raza

QuoteAccording to the guys over at LS1tech, an LS1 V8 weighs about 400lbs completely assembled with oil.  A 2.2L L61 Ecotec according to GM Powertrain built, but dry of all fluids weighs 291.7lbs.  So figure 400lbs versus 300lbs between the two engines.
To put it into perspective, having Kate Moss in the seat next to you would throw off the handling more than this conversion.
Actually, you'd think she'd even the loads on the sides.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Oh. But I think its way to expensive, unless it can way outperform the Vette.
I have a hard time believing that it wouldn't, less weight and more power equals more speed.

SJ_GTI

It was also pointed out that when comparing to the Vette, the proper comparison is actually with the Vette convertible, which is a bit heavier than the coupe.

As for weight distribution...it won't get better but it will probably go from something like 51/49 to 53/47. Implying this will be a nose heavy car is just silly.

280Z Turbo

QuoteThat thing would probably tip up onto its nose without massive shock/spring stiffening.  :rolleyes:   Probably handles a lot worse too.  Fast, though.  B)
They're not dropping in an all iron 454! The LS2 is actually quite light and efficient with a better hp/lb ratio.

Raza

100 per year?  These guys can go fuck themselves.  They should be built to order.  What a bullshit tactic.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

They wont' sell 100 a year... :rolleyes:  

BMWDave

Quote100 per year?  These guys can go fuck themselves.  They should be built to order.  What a bullshit tactic.
Cars like that should be made to order already...I agree.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

I think they will have no problem selling a 100 of these things.  

BMWDave

QuoteI think they will have no problem selling a 100 of these things.
They wont have any problem, I dont think.  How much will they cost?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

It will probably be ridiculously expensive and overpriced... <_<   Typical...

850CSi

QuoteAccording to the guys over at LS1tech, an LS1 V8 weighs about 400lbs completely assembled with oil.
How can someone not love the LS1?

Think I could fit one in my A4?

I mean, it doesn't weight that much, and my A4 is already a bit nose-heavy, and since its AWD it won't matter if its a bit more nose-heavy...

Raza

Do we even have reviews of the regular Solstice?  Are these on sale?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

You know what, every car should have an LS1 in it.

Raza

QuoteYou know what, every car should have an LS1 in it.
No.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteDo we even have reviews of the regular Solstice?  Are these on sale?
I believe the regular model is, but this Callaway version isn't.  

Raza

QuoteDo we even have reviews of the regular Solstice?  Are these on sale?
I was in a Pontiac dealer on Friday, and they said fall-ish.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

In that case I guess I am wrong. Comparos between this and the new Miata will be interesting,  but I am still putting my money on the Miata for sure, Mazda simply has more experience with small 2 door roadsters.  

Raza

In that case I guess I am wrong. Comparos between this and the new Miata will be interesting,  but I am still putting my money on the Miata for sure, Mazda simply has more experience with small 2 door roadsters.
Well, the Solstice is heavier, and I think the MR-2 with a little more horsepower would be a better car than the both of them.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Well, the Solstice is heavier, and I think the MR-2 with a little more horsepower would be a better car than the both of them.
I think it would be a better car in sports car terms, but its complete lack of practicality makes it almost impossible to use as a daily driver.  

mazda6er

QuoteDo we even have reviews of the regular Solstice?? Are these on sale?
I think it would be a better car in sports car terms, but its complete lack of practicality makes it almost impossible to use as a daily driver.
The Solstice and Miata aren't exactly utilitarian either.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SJ_GTI

QuoteDo we even have reviews of the regular Solstice?? Are these on sale?
The Solstice and Miata aren't exactly utilitarian either.
Relative to an MR2 they are though.

Actually when I bought my Z3 the nice sized trunk was a big point since it was going to be my only car. I needed to be able to fit luggage for overseas trips at a minimum.

I think this is a big selling point of the Vette as well. As good as it performs, its actually a practical car (other than the fact it only has two seats).