Alarming sound with brakes

Started by SVT_Power, December 09, 2006, 10:18:41 PM

SVT_Power

Okay I think it probably is a simple issue, but whenever I press the brakes, I hear metal on metal grinding sort of sound. Initially I thought brake pad, but apparently that's been changed this year sometime. So what could it be
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

MX793

Might still be the brake pads.  I had the slide pins on my rear calipers seize, causing the pads to constantly rub on the disk, and it wore the rear pads down to the backing plate within a couple of thousand miles of when I changed them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

heelntoe

which side is the noise comming from? is the explorer a drum/disc setup?
@heelntoe

JWC

If this is an Explorer, be sure to check the inboard pads, especially rear.  They wear quicker and go metal-to-metal before the outer pads. 

And, like mentioned previously, make sure the slide pins are cleaned and lubricated when the brakes are serviced.  They will stick, but not usually to the point of seizing.  Instead, you'll hear a popping noise every time you hit the brakes, which should be considered kinda of a warning to check them.

SVT_Power

I think it's mostly coming from the left front. The rears seem to be fine, although I may be wrong. I didn't bother taking the wheels off since I don't have a torque wrench at home. Upon visual inspection, there doesn't seem to be any kind of physical damage to the rotors themselves. My mom is gonna take it in to a shop tomorrow

SVT_Power

Quote from: heelntoe on December 10, 2006, 05:59:25 AM
which side is the noise comming from? is the explorer a drum/disc setup?

disc/disc

r0tor

probably a worn pad and seized up caliper... although once on my old car i had a slim get loose and it somehow managed to bend its way and make contact with the rotor and squeal like crazy
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raghavan

If your rotor is really wavy and shiny, then you have problems.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raghavan on December 10, 2006, 06:22:04 PM
If your rotor is really wavy and shiny, then you have problems.

Not that

SVT_Power

And also, it takes alot more braking to slow the car down now

AutobahnSHO

My only experience with grinding noise and loss of braking power was when my wife's grandparents gave us a Cavalier, and the pads just WORE OUT and damaged the rotors.  We went on a couple hour drive and right when we got to our destination GRIIIIIIIINNNNNNND and pedal on the floor. 
Needed pads, rotors, and the shop said the calipers were damaged as well.  At the time I didn't have a clue about autos, so we shelled out big $$$ for all 3...
Will

SVT_Power

Okay well we took to a shop and saw what was wrong. The inside pad for the right front brake was worn out to the point where it was grinding against the rotor and the rotor had to be replaced

Comparing the fine rotor on left, damaged on right

MX793

I hope the shop made sure to check that the caliper slide pins weren't seized (and applied some lube if they were) or else you'll have a repeat of this scenario in the near future.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

J86

I so called that in the Chat Thread :lol:

I did the EXACT same thing two years ago...miserable

SVT_Power

Quote from: MX793 on December 11, 2006, 05:41:27 PM
I hope the shop made sure to check that the caliper slide pins weren't seized (and applied some lube if they were) or else you'll have a repeat of this scenario in the near future.

well ill go complain to them if the same thing occurs soon :lol:

280Z Turbo

Sorry but...

This reminds me...I need to repair the brakes on the Z.

When I first start driving the car they're fine, but they stick a little bit and make a horrible squeeling noise after some driving. It turns out they're heating up as I drive down the road and fading, I guess. They otherwise work flawlessly, but it's getting worse.

I'm going to bleed the brakes and lubricate the pins in the calipers. Maybe I should clean out the whole braking system for the front. Not sure if the rear drums do it or not. Anything else I should do?