This may seem like a dumb question...

Started by J86, December 10, 2006, 10:21:35 AM

J86

How the hell do you drive a tiptronic shift, or even an automatic that you can tap the shifter to go up or down?  I ran into this problem the other day.  Do you stay on the gas when it shifts, let your foot off, or partially in between?  I had occasion to drive a nice automatic car the other day that had this feature and it confused me. :lol:  Damnit I'll stay with stickshifts...

Submariner

I just keep on the gas and nudge it when the RPM's get up there. 

I guess you can take your foot off the gas, but you dont have too.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TheIntrepid

I leave my foot on the gas and shift. When I drive my cousin's 2001 Passat 1.8T, he insists I let off the gas. In all honesty I have never checked the owner's manuals so I have no idea how it's meant to be done.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

MX793

You can just leave your foot on the gas.  It's still an automatic gearbox and it's designed to be shifted while under power.  Regular automatics (or tiptronics in full auto mode) don't require that you let off the gas to shift and the computer doesn't cut the power for you during shifts.  The transmission simply shifts.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

J86

the Teuton

Maybe it's the fact that I had never driven it before, but when I drove a 530i a few months ago, the Steptronic was jammed or wouldn't let me shift it into the manny mode.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

cawimmer430

Keep your foot on the gas pedal and just shift up or down. Simple as that. :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

TurboDan

J86:  I was going to post that EXACT same question today!  The Passat came with it and I was kinda afraid to try it out without knowing what to do.  And real men don't read the owner's manual, they ask on car forums, so....   :praise: :ohyeah:

Raghavan

Quote from: MX793 on December 10, 2006, 10:48:48 AM
You can just leave your foot on the gas.  It's still an automatic gearbox and it's designed to be shifted while under power.  Regular automatics (or tiptronics in full auto mode) don't require that you let off the gas to shift and the computer doesn't cut the power for you during shifts.  The transmission simply shifts.
I have to in t3h accord, or else the tranny shifts so hard the whole car jerks.

Raza

Quote from: J86 on December 10, 2006, 10:21:35 AM
How the hell do you drive a tiptronic shift, or even an automatic that you can tap the shifter to go up or down?  I ran into this problem the other day.  Do you stay on the gas when it shifts, let your foot off, or partially in between?  I had occasion to drive a nice automatic car the other day that had this feature and it confused me. :lol:  Damnit I'll stay with stickshifts...

You can keep your foot on the gas when you shift, but timing is important.  Depending the transmission, if you get into it too late, you'll bounce off the limiter or jump two gears.

Downshifting in most of them (other than the new XK's gearbox) is best down with a slight blip of the throttle.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza on December 10, 2006, 12:35:06 PM
You can keep your foot on the gas when you shift, but timing is important. Depending the transmission, if you get into it too late, you'll bounce off the limiter or jump two gears.

Downshifting in most of them (other than the new XK's gearbox) is best down with a slight blip of the throttle.

Meh.  I don't think I've ever used that silly manual function in my car, but I have in my parents.  I've never had a problem with that. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

850CSi

I don't even know the point of it. It's useful for downshifting, but it's no fun for normal driving.

J86

Quote from: TurboDan on December 10, 2006, 12:34:29 PM
J86:? I was going to post that EXACT same question today!? The Passat came with it and I was kinda afraid to try it out without knowing what to do.? And real men don't read the owner's manual, they ask on car forums, so....? ?:praise: :ohyeah:

:lol:

I must say, I agree with Faris.  If you want a manual, buy one!  Otherwise, enjoy the ease of use that the automatic provides.  The manual shift thing, in my very limited experience, seems more gimmicky than anything, and is only frustrating in that it reminds you that the car really isn't a stick.

Pancor

So I'm not the only that finds driving newer automatic cars harder than stickshifts!

mazda6er

As someone that drives a car like that every day, I can honestly say...they're kinda shitty.  :lol: At least mine is. The fact that it's only 4 speeds and thinks it's smarter than I am doesn't help. Surprisingly enough, you can make it lurch, just like an actual manual if you don't shift at the right rpms. My car used to catch very frequently on upshifts from 2nd to 3rd, but I guess I've got the sweet spot down now because it doesn't do that anymore. Foot on the gas, foot of the gas, it works either way. I usually keep it planted.

It's a pain in the ass though when you think you've downshifted and you stomp on it, then realize it hasn't downshifted, and tap it again, only to find that it was just taking its sweet time, and all the sudden you're in 1st gear going 25.  :lol:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

850CSi

Quote from: mazda6er on December 10, 2006, 02:40:00 PM
As someone that drives a car like that every day, I can honestly say...they're kinda shitty.? :lol:

I've tried it out in my sister's 6 (which has a 6-Speed auto) and it's still not really any fun.

850CSi

Quote from: J86 on December 10, 2006, 02:01:33 PM
:lol:

I must say, I agree with Faris.? If you want a manual, buy one!? Otherwise, enjoy the ease of use that the automatic provides.? The manual shift thing, in my very limited experience, seems more gimmicky than anything, and is only frustrating in that it reminds you that the car really isn't a stick.

It also depends on the car, some tiptronics are worse than others. The STEPTRONIC in my dad's X3 is just terrible, it takes too long to shift. Some of them will just shift for you if you don't do it when the trans wants you to.

It is very gimmicky IMO.

TurboDan

Now the SMG - that's different than a regular tiptronic, right?

J86

Quote from: Pancor on December 10, 2006, 02:25:39 PM
So I'm not the only that finds driving newer automatic cars harder than stickshifts!

Join the club!

J86

Quote from: TurboDan on December 10, 2006, 03:26:22 PM

I think so, but I couldn't tell you how!  Hopefully someone mechanically inclined can enlighten us...

Raghavan

Quote from: TurboDan on December 10, 2006, 03:26:22 PM
Yeah, that's an automated manual, supposed to be faster or something.

r0tor

my parents 6 actually shifts when you want it to shift if you get off the throttle like you would a manual... otherwise it will shift when it feels like shifting

SMG is a regular manual tranny with the clutch controlled by a computer.  Tiptronic is just an automatic tranny with a manual shift mode.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT_Power

The manumatic function on my aunt's X5 was terrible last time I tried it
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Like I've said hundreds of times before, I use the manual shift function exclusively.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

J86

Quote from: Raza on December 10, 2006, 05:11:10 PM
Like I've said hundreds of times before, I use the manual shift function exclusively.

Once you've actually lived with the stick on a day to day basis, you'll realize how not worth it that is.

ro51092

Automatic sucks, period. Manumatic can kiss my ass.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ro51092 on December 10, 2006, 06:54:05 PM
Automatic sucks, period. Manumatic can kiss my ass.

I agree with you. Unfortunately domestic full-size barges don't come with sticks. :(

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 10, 2006, 08:23:15 PM
I agree with you. Unfortunately domestic full-size barges don't come with sticks. :(
Not anymore anyways...

(Insert SHO troll phrase here...)

I could NOT STAND the SMG (ForFour) I drove in Germany.  A 1.1L engine w/ 6 speeds= whiplash.
Will

the Teuton

I think cars should come with either autos or sticks.  I think that the manumatic was just created to serve the "I'm cool because I still can shift my car" niche of people who never have even learned how to drive stick, but still want to be seen as cool.  There is something cool and fun about driving stick, and while I don't in my own personal car (yet), I've driven an E36 M3 that was a stick and I know how. 

Manumatics are illusions of grandeur for people who don't have enough self-confidence to either be stuck with an automatic or skill to drive a stick, IMHO.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on December 13, 2006, 10:04:45 PM
I think cars should come with either autos or sticks.  I think that the manumatic was just created to serve the "I'm cool because I still can shift my car" niche of people who never have even learned how to drive stick, but still want to be seen as cool.  There is something cool and fun about driving stick, and while I don't in my own personal car (yet), I've driven an E36 M3 that was a stick and I know how. 

Manumatics are illusions of grandeur for people who don't have enough self-confidence to either be stuck with an automatic or skill to drive a stick, IMHO.
:rolleyes:

I know how to drive a stick just fine, however both of my cars have been manumatic. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i