Buicks to be killed

Started by Fire It Up, June 05, 2005, 09:06:16 AM

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

BMWDave

I dont know if this is the right idea...GM should spend time making Buick a unique division, instead of displaying their usual "dump it" strategy.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

QuoteI dont know if this is the right idea...GM should spend time making Buick a unique division, instead of displaying their usual "dump it" strategy.
They're only dumping the Ranier, which is just one of many clones, and the Rendezvous, which does have the potential for improvement, but only when a better platform arrives. And if GM develops a good SUV platform, the Rendezvous would only be one of many vehicles on it anyway.

Neither of those models are particularly important to Buick.  

BMWDave

QuoteI dont know if this is the right idea...GM should spend time making Buick a unique division, instead of displaying their usual "dump it" strategy.
They're only dumping the Ranier, which is just one of many clones, and the Rendezvous, which does have the potential for improvement, but only when a better platform arrives. And if GM develops a good SUV platform, the Rendezvous would only be one of many vehicles on it anyway.

My point was that Buick should have more vehicles than GM is giving them...I personally think they should kill the clones, but hell, you should replace them with something that makes Buick unique.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

My point was that Buick should have more vehicles than GM is giving them...I personally think they should kill the clones, but hell, you should replace them with something that makes Buick unique.
I agree...

ifcar

A unique Buick SUV wouldn't be worth the expense.  

BMWDave

QuoteA unique Buick SUV wouldn't be worth the expense.
Would making Buick a unique brand be worth the expense?

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteA unique Buick SUV wouldn't be worth the expense.
Would making Buick a unique brand be worth the expense?
Depends on how far unique you need to go. I'd say that platform sharing is fine, as long as other aspects change. For example, I don't think anyone would say that the Grand Prix and LaCrosse are cannibalizing each others' sales, but they share a platform and powertrain.

Fire It Up

I still dont understand what GM is tryin to do with Buick...its for old people and middle aged people at the same time. Its wannabeluxury yet mainstream at the same time.  

Fire It Up

:cough:ifcargivemeanexplanation:cough:

ifcar

Buick has basically settled in between Chevrolet (mainstream) and Cadillac (luxury), and is attempting to attract buyers of all ages who shop there. By killing off the very low-priced Century, they are trying to work their way upmarket to basically Cadillac levels, where Cadillac will be sporty luxury and Buick will be mainstream luxury for less money.
To put this in SAT form for BMWDave's benefit, Cadillac:BMW::Buick:Lexus.

Fire It Up

QuoteBuick has basically settled in between Chevrolet (mainstream) and Cadillac (luxury), and is attempting to attract buyers of all ages who shop there. By killing off the very low-priced Century, they are trying to work their way upmarket to basically Cadillac levels, where Cadillac will be sporty luxury and Buick will be mainstream luxury for less money.
Doesnt Lexus:BMW?

Fire It Up

Ah double post.

ifcar

QuoteBuick has basically settled in between Chevrolet (mainstream) and Cadillac (luxury), and is attempting to attract buyers of all ages who shop there. By killing off the very low-priced Century, they are trying to work their way upmarket to basically Cadillac levels, where Cadillac will be sporty luxury and Buick will be mainstream luxury for less money.
If I'm wrong, please forgive my limited memory of those worthless analogies, but I believe "Cadillac:BMW::Buick:Lexus" would be the same as "Cadillac:Buick::BMW:Lexus".  

BMWDave

If I'm wrong, please forgive my limited memory of those worthless analogies, but I believe "Cadillac:BMW::Buick:Lexus" would be the same as "Cadillac:Buick::BMW:Lexus".
Nope.  By writing it the second way you are saying that Cadillac is to Buick, as BMW is to Lexus.  The first way you wrote it was correct.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Nope.  By writing it the second way you are saying that Cadillac is to Buick, as BMW is to Lexus.  The first way you wrote it was correct.
Cadillac is to Buick as BMW is to Lexus, both sides have a higher-priced sportier brand, and both sides have a lower-priced luxury-oriented brand.  

Tom

So long, mediocre "SUVs"

R33 GT-R

Crap on the utes, Buick needs to bring back the Grand National.  Boo Ya!
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

GMPenguin

Exactly, they're the two crappiest cars in Buicks lineup, not too big of a deal if they discontinue them.