R&T Road Test: CLS500

Started by Fire It Up, June 05, 2005, 10:19:42 AM

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

TBR

It has been a month since I read that so I really don't have any comments. But, I will say that the though the CLS is a good looking car, it isn't one I would buy. It is just too daring for my tastes, I prefer more conservative designs.  

BMWDave

I saw the CLS500 in person and loved it.  I know many people who dont like it though.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

I'm going to go look at one tomorrow.  A CLS55 AMG, though, not a 500.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteI'm going to go look at one tomorrow.  A CLS55 AMG, though, not a 500.
Nice!

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteI'm going to go look at one tomorrow.  A CLS55 AMG, though, not a 500.
Nice!
Dad finally thinks it's time to replace the W140.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Nice!
Sweet, there is quite a contrast between the W140 S320 and the CLS55.  

BMWDave

QuoteI'm going to go look at one tomorrow.? A CLS55 AMG, though, not a 500.
Nice!
A CLS55 would be amazing!  Post pictures when you get it :praise:  

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Nice!
I pushed him towards the A8, because I thought that's the most W140 like of any car on the market, but he didn't really like it.  Liked the 750i better.  But he's obsessed with the S600, but I think the CLS might be a better fit.

Dave:  IF we get it!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

R33 GT-R

I think the car is beautiful, I sat in one when I was in for service last time.  It would be good for us if it had a full backseat instead of the center console.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

TBR

Nice!
I pushed him towards the A8, because I thought that's the most W140 like of any car on the market, but he didn't really like it.  Liked the 750i better.  But he's obsessed with the S600, but I think the CLS might be a better fit.

I would think both the LS430 and current S-class would be closer than the A8.

TurboDan

These things are selling like crazy already.  Haven't seen TOO many around here, but when I was in South Beach in Miami last week I saw probably no less than six in an hour.  I think the CLS is going to be very popular.

On another note, I did see an SLK 55 AMG in NYC last night!  

Damn, I gotta get a camera phone.

BMWDave

QuoteThese things are selling like crazy already.  Haven't seen TOO many around here, but when I was in South Beach in Miami last week I saw probably no less than six in an hour.  I think the CLS is going to be very popular.

On another note, I did see an SLK 55 AMG in NYC last night!  

Damn, I gotta get a camera phone.
Do you have a camera?  Yesterday I saw a Smart (in NYC)!, a BMW 6 Series, a Karman Ghia, a Maybach 62 (camera ran out of batteries :angry: ) tons of Porsches and all.  When the weather gets nice, I see nice cars a lot more.

2007 Honda S2000

TurboDan

Hmm, haven't seen any Smarts in NYC yet.  I see Maybachs daily, however.  They're all over midtown, and there are always a few parked on 59th St. since the Mandarin Oriental Hotel uses them as limos.  

I usually see a few RRs and Bentley's every day too.  The Continental GT obviously sold pretty well around here.  It seems they're more popular than the exotic sports cars, which I usually see only a few a week.

I do have a camera, but don't usually carry it with me.  If it wasn't so expensive, I'd buy the Motorola i860 camera phone.  

Raza

Nice!

No.  The LS430 is far more isolated from the road and has a much floatier, uncontrolled ride, and the current S class is harder than the W140.  The A8 and/or Phaeton are the two cars on the market that are most like the W140.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Nice!

No.  The LS430 is far more isolated from the road and has a much floatier, uncontrolled ride, and the current S class is harder than the W140.  The A8 and/or Phaeton are the two cars on the market that are most like the W140.
I always assumed that the W140 was also pretty isolated in character, but you would certainly know more about it than I do. And, doesn't the A8 at least have a harder ride than the S-class?  

Raza

Nice!

I always assumed that the W140 was also pretty isolated in character, but you would certainly know more about it than I do. And, doesn't the A8 at least have a harder ride than the S-class?
With the 19", but with 18" it should be the same.  He's decided on a different feeling, I think.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Nice!

With the 19", but with 18" it should be the same.  He's decided on a different feeling, I think.
How did the testdrive go, or have you guys even gone yet?  

Raza

If a Corvette will snap your head back, an S600 will break it off.  Holy shit, it's amazing.  S55 overnight test drive tomorrow.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteIf a Corvette will snap your head back, an S600 will break it off.  Holy shit, it's amazing.  S55 overnight test drive tomorrow.
Was it a S600 or CLS55? I was under the impression from your first post that it was a CLS55, but now it is sounding like you testdrove a S600.

Raza

QuoteIf a Corvette will snap your head back, an S600 will break it off.  Holy shit, it's amazing.  S55 overnight test drive tomorrow.
Was it a S600 or CLS55? I was under the impression from your first post that it was a CLS55, but now it is sounding like you testdrove a S600.
Yup, we drove an S600.  The original appointment was for the S600, but I was steering my dad to the CLS.  Now we're looking at the S55 (comparable performance, 20K less).  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteIf a Corvette will snap your head back, an S600 will break it off.  Holy shit, it's amazing.  S55 overnight test drive tomorrow.
Yup, we drove an S600.  The original appointment was for the S600, but I was steering my dad to the CLS.  Now we're looking at the S55 (comparable performance, 20K less).
I see. It is hard to legitimize the S600 when the S55 offers as much performance for so much less. So, this will be your dad's car I assume?  

Raza

I see. It is hard to legitimize the S600 when the S55 offers as much performance for so much less. So, this will be your dad's car I assume?
Yup.  I told him that I wanted to get rid of the Passat and get a 944 Turbo, that way he can put more towards the S.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Yup.  I told him that I wanted to get rid of the Passat and get a 944 Turbo, that way he can put more towards the S.
He should be glad that he has a son willing to make such a sacrifice for the sake of his father ;)

Raza

He should be glad that he has a son willing to make such a sacrifice for the sake of his father ;)
Chances are we won't even get rid of the S320.  He wants to stick it in the summer home in FL.  If he wants, they can take the Passat down since my mom wants a smaller car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i