Cnet.com Gives Lexus a Perfect 10/10

Started by Maksx, December 12, 2006, 10:21:43 PM

omicron

Quote from: SaltyDog on December 16, 2006, 08:33:07 PM
Let's all form an angy mob, acquire torches, and pay the Lexus factory a visit! Or are they all made over there?

Yes, I'll come *waves*

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

omicron

Quote from: SaltyDog on December 16, 2006, 08:48:51 PM
Good, we need a healthy dose of Australian fury.

I'll uproot a palm and throw a yiros at them :lol:

JYODER240

Quote from: TBR on December 16, 2006, 08:23:04 PM
Lexus has gone down the pooper of late. Actually, they've never been too far from it imho, but at least the IS and GS used to be good enthuisist cars, not anymore.

They've only gone downhill for enthusiasts. They're the perfect car for people who hate driving.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 16, 2006, 10:53:39 PM
They've only gone downhill for enthusiasts. They're the perfect car for people who hate driving.

The latest IS and GS aren't such great luxury cars either. They're cramped inside and not as smooth-riding as most competitors.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on December 17, 2006, 10:28:29 AM
The latest IS and GS aren't such great luxury cars either. They're cramped inside and not as smooth-riding as most competitors.

Not trying to be cocky or anything, just a question, Ifcar do you testdrive all these cars yourself? If so, how do you convince the dealer to let you?

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ifcar

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 17, 2006, 10:41:00 AM
Not trying to be cocky or anything, just a question, Ifcar do you testdrive all these cars yourself? If so, how do you convince the dealer to let you?

It's extremely easy. Just dress nicely, articulately explain what you want to drive, and be prepared to make a fuss if they say no. Sometimes, I bring along someone who is actually in the market for that car, or one like it. I never explicitely say "I'm interested in buying this car."

JYODER240

They're more isolated though. They're also so technology laden that it draws in alot of buyers.

ifcar

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 17, 2006, 11:17:31 AM
They're more isolated though. They're also so technology laden that it draws in alot of buyers.

Isolation isn't at MB level unless you count numb steering as more important than ride comfort and quietness. Technology in the IS and GS isn't anything fantastic compared to the competition either.

sportyaccordy

I dunno. My friend's 2000 GS300 was a pretty awesome car...smooth ride, very stable at high speeds, spacious, good stereo. And the 225HP motor was surprisingly strong. I'm a fan...

JYODER240

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 17, 2006, 07:18:05 PM
I dunno. My friend's 2000 GS300 was a pretty awesome car...smooth ride, very stable at high speeds, spacious, good stereo. And the 225HP motor was surprisingly strong. I'm a fan...

But compared to the competition they're not as involving to drive.

ifcar

"I dunno. My friend's 2000 GS300 was a pretty awesome car...smooth ride, very stable at high speeds, spacious, good stereo. And the 225HP motor was surprisingly strong. I'm a fan..."

I'm only talking about the newest models. For its time, the old GS was much better than the current one is for now, and the old IS was an outstanding sports sedan.

TBR

The IS300 was an excellent sports sedan, too sporty really for the market.

JYODER240

The IS300 still wasn't as involving or as sporty as a 3er.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on December 17, 2006, 09:04:06 PM
The IS300 was an excellent sports sedan, too sporty really for the market.

It sold reasonably well, and to a new batch of customers. (Customers who Lexus proceeded to alienate with the new IS.)

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 17, 2006, 09:33:11 PM
The IS300 still wasn't as involving or as sporty as a 3er.

It was up there. The relatively bare-bones nature of the IS300 also gave it a more hard-edged feel than the 3-Series, even if it really wasn't any more agile. And of course there's a significant price difference between the two.

Raza

I really want an IS300 5 speed.  I think people compared it too often to the 330i, when it could be had for 325i money.  Another of the actually small cars that have disappeared, the IS was good looking, handled well, and was a perfect example of a 3 box sport sedan, albeit a little rough around the edges.  It stands, to this day, as the only Lexus I would ever consider owning.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on December 17, 2006, 01:09:10 PM
Technology in the IS and GS isn't anything fantastic compared to the competition either.

It's simply overrated by idiot Lexus fanboys and the media like. Just like their "World saving hybrids".  :rolleyes:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 18, 2006, 07:15:37 AM
It's simply overrated by idiot Lexus fanboys and the media like. Just like their "World saving hybrids".  :rolleyes:

They technology in the LS460 has been praised extensively (as has the technology in pretty much every competitor), but no one really has anything significant that stands out from the rest at IS price point. And the GS450H's electric motor has most definitely not blinded the auto media.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on December 18, 2006, 03:45:01 PM
They technology in the LS460 has been praised extensively (as has the technology in pretty much every competitor), but no one really has anything significant that stands out from the rest at IS price point. And the GS450H's electric motor has most definitely not blinded the auto media.

As much as I like the new Lexus', mainly because of their styling, Ifcar makes a VERY good point. :cheers:

red_shift

Quote from: ifcar on December 18, 2006, 04:40:19 AM
It sold reasonably well, and to a new batch of customers. (Customers who Lexus proceeded to alienate with the new IS.)

It was up there. The relatively bare-bones nature of the IS300 also gave it a more hard-edged feel than the 3-Series, even if it really wasn't any more agile. And of course there's a significant price difference between the two.

I can tell you a thing or two about what you are terming as the 'bare boned feeling'.

The previous Lexus IS was tuned slightly for more responsive *low speed* turn-in, and this can be done by simply altering your tire pressures slightly. (Lexus might have chosen to do this by way of suspension geometry)
Drive it at a higher speed around corners though, that very nature of low speed sportiness turns into a less composed, and less satisfying ride through high-speed twisties.

Now if you ask me how I came to this conclusion : I drove the IS 3 times before I settled on my car. I noted the difference in personalities of the two cars, and decided I liked BMW's feel better. After taking delivery of my Bimmer, I altered the tire pressures to induce less understeer. (way less) It behaved almost like the IS300. Yes, my BMW had more low speed turn in response, (which feels more *sporty*) but lost it's high speed driving composure. I went back to the original tire pressures and have been very happy since then.

Sorry for the protracted explanation, but it's something I have dabbled first hand in, so I speak from experience.

EDIT: By no means do I feel IS is bad sports sedan. On the contrary, I felt it was a very good effort, much more so than Infiniti's G.
The latest IS on the other hand, is a less satisying sports sedan than it's predecessor.
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on December 18, 2006, 03:45:01 PM
And the GS450H's electric motor has most definitely not blinded the auto media.

Good to know. I can't stand it when people praise hybrids and claim they're the second coming of Christ.   :rolleyes: :banghead:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

TheIntrepid

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 18, 2006, 06:14:14 PM
Good to know. I can't stand it when people praise hybrids and claim they're the second coming of Christ.   :rolleyes: :banghead:

Says the guy with a gas-guzzling SUV in his sig. :praise: ;)

:cheers: That GL is one sexy beast though. :rockon:

cawimmer430

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 18, 2006, 07:33:24 PM
Says the guy with a gas-guzzling SUV in his sig. :praise: ;)

:cheers: That GL is one sexy beast though. :rockon:

That's a GL320 CDI!!!
:devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Andaluz

sportyaccordy

I don't think anybody has been getting hot in their pants for any hybrids...

cawimmer430

Quote from: Andaluz on December 19, 2006, 09:06:51 AM
320 CDI?

I much rather have the GL 420 CDI. :devil: :ohyeah:

That's overkill for me already. I like to keep it real.  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de