Early Morning Tranny Problems

Started by TurboDan, December 13, 2006, 06:34:08 PM

TurboDan

Just wondering what everyone's opinion was on this:

I have a family member with a '97 Dodge Caravan.  95K on the clock.  Everything runs perfectly, except on cold mornings, the transmission will really JUMP into reverse.  There is a huge thump with a loud noise to go with it.  For the rest of the day, the transmission will never do this again.  In addition, it only happens once to begin with.  If you put the car back in park the minute it happens and put it back into reverse, it won't happen again.  If you leave the car alone for a long time (meaning, an entire day while at work), it will not do it again.  It only happens in the morning when the car is first started.

Any thoughts?

AutobahnSHO

Is it parked on a hill?

A couple times the last week I had a weird problem with my '92-  I hopped in after class (around9pm) and it wasn't extremely cold, but chilly.  When I got going down the highway it wouldnt shift up to the top gear, even though it was in the right spot on the column.  Shutting the engine off and restarting fixed the problem, for whatever reason.

I would check the motor/tranny mounts- open the hood as you throw it into reverse that first time and see if the engine moves a lot (Compared to the van.)
-You can also rev the engine or throw it into N, then D, to see if it moves a lot.  It should barely move, if it moves a lot time for the mounts to be replaced.
Will

3.0L V6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 13, 2006, 06:51:45 PM
Is it parked on a hill?

A couple times the last week I had a weird problem with my '92-? I hopped in after class (around9pm) and it wasn't extremely cold, but chilly.? When I got going down the highway it wouldnt shift up to the top gear, even though it was in the right spot on the column.? Shutting the engine off and restarting fixed the problem, for whatever reason.

I would check the motor/tranny mounts- open the hood as you throw it into reverse that first time and see if the engine moves a lot (Compared to the van.)
-You can also rev the engine or throw it into N, then D, to see if it moves a lot.? It should barely move, if it moves a lot time for the mounts to be replaced.

Well, not shifting into high gear is common. The tranny stays in 3rd gear(?) until it reaches a certain temperature. You'll notice it more in the winter.

As for the original poster, does the van have the 3 speed automatic or 4 speed? The 4 speed is a tranny that has been known for issues. The 3 speed is much more reliable, but may just need a band adjustment.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on December 13, 2006, 07:14:06 PM
Well, not shifting into high gear is common. The tranny stays in 3rd gear(?) until it reaches a certain temperature. You'll notice it more in the winter.

It's always shifted into 4th no problems around town, even at lower speeds.  In those 2 cases though it was a cold engine and I drove 5 blocks then got on the highway...

Will

Rupert

Does it happen the first time the engine is started at any time in the day, or just the morning?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ifcar

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on December 13, 2006, 07:14:06 PM

As for the original poster, does the van have the 3 speed automatic or 4 speed? The 4 speed is a tranny that has been known for issues. The 3 speed is much more reliable, but may just need a band adjustment.

The 3-speed had died on the ex-Caravan at 90k miles.

TurboDan

Quote from: Psilos on December 13, 2006, 10:27:29 PM
Does it happen the first time the engine is started at any time in the day, or just the morning?

Just the morning, which leads me to believe it's related to the cold weather.  On one warmer morning this week, it apparently did not happen.

sandertheshark

Wimmer has tranny problems too.? You should see his therapist.

Oh, wait, I'm sorry.? You meant a car transmission.? NM.

r0tor

how long since the tranny fluid was replaced?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

I am with r0tor, check your atf level and condition.  Also, see if it happens if you let the car sit idling for a few minutes before attempting to shift out of park.  Low or cold fluid may be part of it, or crap fluid, or like 3.0L mentioned it could be a slipping Lo-reverse band, but I am not aware of whether those are adjustable on yours or not.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ifcar on December 14, 2006, 05:25:13 AM
The 3-speed had died on the ex-Caravan at 90k miles.

Yeah, I haven't heard good things about any Chrysler minivan trans.

Although, our '88 Voyager 3.0L 3 speed shifted fine when we sold it at 150k miles. :huh:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 14, 2006, 01:08:00 PM
Yeah, I haven't heard good things about any Chrysler minivan trans.

Although, our '88 Voyager 3.0L 3 speed shifted fine when we sold it at 150k miles. :huh:
Mine are both good (knock on wood).
Biggest problem seems to be people putting the wrong fluid in them- they're VERY PARTICULAR in that regard.
Will