Update on my new ride

Started by Car Zeus, December 17, 2006, 04:30:26 PM

Catman

I will not except a BMW.  It is a 911.  If it's a Cayman or Boxster I can live with it I suppose. :P

BMWDave

Quote from: Raza on December 31, 2006, 05:15:32 PM
If it's an R8, he's not getting it this January.

Well, I know that they will begin selling them the 'first half of 2007."  So if he pre-ordered his, it's conceivable that he could get his mid january, I suppose.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Colonel Cadillac

Nah, he originally was going to get it late December, but they moved it back IIRC.

gasoline

Quote from: ifcar on December 31, 2006, 01:51:25 PM
A small chance, but I think most here are pulling for it.
It will be a six-series. I am still predicting that.
-----------------------------------

ifcar

cawimmer430

Catman, what's that car in your signature? Looks hot. :mrcool:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

dazzleman

Car Zeus has already professed his preference for BMWs, so it could be that.

I could also see him driving a Porsche.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT666

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

850CSi

SVT666

TheIntrepid

I was the first to say 6-series IIRC and I got my ass flamed for it. I still think 650i or M6.

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 02, 2007, 12:09:11 PM
I was the first to say 6-series IIRC and I got my ass flamed for it. I still think 650i or M6.
I didn't flame you for it.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

TheIntrepid

Raza has extremist views against BMW. ;)

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

Quote from: Raza on January 02, 2007, 05:41:13 PM
Only the fat modern ones.?

Conveniently ignoring, of course, that they really haven't gained much weight, and most of it is attributed to larger engines - And that his beloved Audis and MBs are substantially heavier on the average.

But don't tell him that.

Submariner

Quote from: 850CSi on January 02, 2007, 06:19:30 PM
Conveniently ignoring, of course, that they really haven't gained much weight, and most of it is attributed to larger engines - And that his beloved Audis and MBs are substantially heavier on the average.

But don't tell him that.

It's the electronics.

I mean...I shouldn't be one to talk.  I own the BMW luxo-boat laden with all weight adding-performance sucking features available. 

But that dosen't mean I dont agree with him.  BMW's design has fell into the toilet (save for the 3 and 6) and I believe they are more focused on gizmos for driving, than the driver for driving.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Submariner on January 02, 2007, 06:42:59 PM
It's the electronics.

I mean...I shouldn't be one to talk.  I own the BMW luxo-boat laden with all weight adding-performance sucking features available. 

But that dosen't mean I dont agree with him.  BMW's design has fell into the toilet (save for the 3 and 6) and I believe they are more focused on gizmos for driving, than the driver for driving.

I do agree. The E90 3-sedan and the 6 are the most attractive current BMWs out there. I even like the 5, but that's it. The 7, the X3, X5, the E92 Coupe all look like complete ass.

Colonel Cadillac

Of the current BMW's, I only like the 3-series. The rest just don't do it for me. That said, I really like the 3-series though.

850CSi

Quote from: Submariner on January 02, 2007, 06:42:59 PM
It's the electronics.

I mean...I shouldn't be one to talk.? I own the BMW luxo-boat laden with all weight adding-performance sucking features available.?

But that dosen't mean I dont agree with him.? BMW's design has fell into the toilet (save for the 3 and 6) and I believe they are more focused on gizmos for driving, than the driver for driving.

Electronics? I know a lot of people hate I-Drive, but there are also a lot of technophobes who love it. And what about MMI and COMAND? BMW isn't the only company addicted to the gizmo craze - but somehow they've become the scapegoat.

Design is completely subjective. Personally, I still like the older models more, but I think a lot of the newer models are still great looking cars. [I still don't like the 7-Series very much, and the 6-Series is very unattractive from some angles]

And there's nothing to suggest that "they are more focused on gizmos for driving, than the driver for driving." The E90 is faster and handles better than the E46; the 5-Series has not gained a pound in over a decade; the 6-Series is lighter and handles MUCH better than any 8-Series ever did (except for MAYBE the CSi); the Z4 is a better car than the Z3; and the new M5 is lighter than the E39 and boasts an extra 2 cylinders and 100hp. The only car that has grown a lot and gained substantial weight is the 7-Series, and that's partially due to larger engines and a lot more interior room - by most accounts, it handles as well as its predecessor.

The one complaint that makes sense is that they've taken a price hike over previous years, and this is true. But that's economics and the laws of supply and demand at work - in addition to the fact that the standard equipment lists have grown pretty quickly .

I have absolutely no problem with people saying they liked the old ones more - I know I did - but all the anti-modern-BMW sentiment is built on a slightly loose foundation IMO. You can take issue with the fact that most of them are Autos, and most people that drive them aren't enthusiasts, yadda yadda yadda, but when it comes down to it, BMW still makes cars that are consistently at the top of their classes in powerplants, balance, and handling, and that's what matters IMO.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 850CSi on January 03, 2007, 01:17:34 AM
Electronics? I know a lot of people hate I-Drive, but there are also a lot of technophobes who love it. And what about MMI and COMAND? BMW isn't the only company addicted to the gizmo craze - but somehow they've become the scapegoat.

Design is completely subjective. Personally, I still like the older models more, but I think a lot of the newer models are still great looking cars. [I still don't like the 7-Series very much, and the 6-Series is very unattractive from some angles]

And there's nothing to suggest that "they are more focused on gizmos for driving, than the driver for driving." The E90 is faster and handles better than the E46; the 5-Series has not gained a pound in over a decade; the 6-Series is lighter and handles MUCH better than any 8-Series ever did (except for MAYBE the CSi); the Z4 is a better car than the Z3; and the new M5 is lighter than the E39 and boasts an extra 2 cylinders and 100hp. The only car that has grown a lot and gained substantial weight is the 7-Series, and that's partially due to larger engines and a lot more interior room - by most accounts, it handles as well as its predecessor.

The one complaint that makes sense is that they've taken a price hike over previous years, and this is true. But that's economics and the laws of supply and demand at work - in addition to the fact that the standard equipment lists have grown pretty quickly .

I have absolutely no problem with people saying they liked the old ones more - I know I did - but all the anti-modern-BMW sentiment is built on a slightly loose foundation IMO. You can take issue with the fact that most of them are Autos, and most people that drive them aren't enthusiasts, yadda yadda yadda, but when it comes down to it, BMW still makes cars that are consistently at the top of their classes in powerplants, balance, and handling, and that's what matters IMO.

:clap:

I couldn't agree more with that post.  :praise:

Tave

Yeah, that was well thought out and well written. Nice post.

I've come to appreciate the styling of the new BMW more and more as time goes on. In fact, one model I enjoy that everyone else seems to dislike is the 7-series. I think its presence is very commanding and authoritative. I also dig the design of the 6, and to a lesser extent the 5 and 3. If I was in the position to buy one, I would take the 3-series over any of its competitors (price be damned). And I would really love to own the new 335 coupe.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

I really like the 3 series and the 5 series but that's it.  As for the electronics like iDrive; I hate them all.  Anything that makes you take your attention away from driving just to change the climate control system of stereo is bad.  What ever happened to simple knobs?  I have the stereo controls on the back of my steering wheel right where my hands are and I don't need to take my eyes off the road to check if I am on the right menu.

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 03, 2007, 08:28:18 AM
I really like the 3 series and the 5 series but that's it.? As for the electronics like iDrive; I hate them all.? Anything that makes you take your attention away from driving just to change the climate control system of stereo is bad.? What ever happened to simple knobs?? I have the stereo controls on the back of my steering wheel right where my hands are and I don't need to take my eyes off the road to check if I am on the right menu.

Once the driver is accustomed to working IDrive, I hardly see how it would be any more of a distraction than conventional, dash-mounted cabin controls or newer devices such as navigation units.

As familiar as I am with my car, I still have to glance at my stereo/climate controls occasionaly, and if I'm in a position where the road demands my total attention, I just wait (and that rarely happens).
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ChrisV

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 03, 2007, 08:28:18 AM
I really like the 3 series and the 5 series but that's it.  As for the electronics like iDrive; I hate them all.  Anything that makes you take your attention away from driving just to change the climate control system of stereo is bad.  What ever happened to simple knobs?  I have the stereo controls on the back of my steering wheel right where my hands are and I don't need to take my eyes off the road to check if I am on the right menu.

Stereos and climate controls (or even just heater sliders) have almost ALWAYS required you to take your attention off the road momentarily, all the way back to the first installations of them in passenger cars. That's just a silly complaint. After you get used to a particular car during your ownership, it's easy to deal with. yeah, it's often hard in a test drive to figure it all out, but even after a day of ownership, it's much easier, and after a week, it's second nature.

Judging how hard it is to use by a half hour test drive is not an accurate reflection of ease of use during ownership.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

These electronics are not in the cars to make anything easier, they are there to make the price justifiable.  THey are there to make the guy spending $100K on his BMW feel like there is something special in his car that a $30K car doesn't have.  Personally I prefer knobs and buttons on the back of the steering wheel.  My hands rarely leave the wheel and my eyes don't leave the road.