Update on my new ride

Started by Car Zeus, December 17, 2006, 04:30:26 PM

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 850CSi on January 03, 2007, 01:17:34 AM
Electronics? I know a lot of people hate I-Drive, but there are also a lot of technophobes who love it. And what about MMI and COMAND? BMW isn't the only company addicted to the gizmo craze - but somehow they've become the scapegoat.

Design is completely subjective. Personally, I still like the older models more, but I think a lot of the newer models are still great looking cars. [I still don't like the 7-Series very much, and the 6-Series is very unattractive from some angles]

And there's nothing to suggest that "they are more focused on gizmos for driving, than the driver for driving." The E90 is faster and handles better than the E46; the 5-Series has not gained a pound in over a decade; the 6-Series is lighter and handles MUCH better than any 8-Series ever did (except for MAYBE the CSi); the Z4 is a better car than the Z3; and the new M5 is lighter than the E39 and boasts an extra 2 cylinders and 100hp. The only car that has grown a lot and gained substantial weight is the 7-Series, and that's partially due to larger engines and a lot more interior room - by most accounts, it handles as well as its predecessor.

The one complaint that makes sense is that they've taken a price hike over previous years, and this is true. But that's economics and the laws of supply and demand at work - in addition to the fact that the standard equipment lists have grown pretty quickly .

I have absolutely no problem with people saying they liked the old ones more - I know I did - but all the anti-modern-BMW sentiment is built on a slightly loose foundation IMO. You can take issue with the fact that most of them are Autos, and most people that drive them aren't enthusiasts, yadda yadda yadda, but when it comes down to it, BMW still makes cars that are consistently at the top of their classes in powerplants, balance, and handling, and that's what matters IMO.

QFT. :clap:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

The Pirate

Electronics don't do much for me either, it's just more stuff to break and cost money down the road.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

850CSi

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 03, 2007, 08:28:18 AM
I really like the 3 series and the 5 series but that's it.? As for the electronics like iDrive; I hate them all.? Anything that makes you take your attention away from driving just to change the climate control system of stereo is bad.? What ever happened to simple knobs?? I have the stereo controls on the back of my steering wheel right where my hands are and I don't need to take my eyes off the road to check if I am on the right menu.

i-Drive is really more of an entertainment system than anything else. Climate control settings are still independent of i-Drive and are controlled by buttons and knobs below it:

As for the stereo, I believe a multifunction steering wheel is standard on every BMW.

TheIntrepid

Is that your interior? Looks great.... I didn't know you had iDrive

TBR

He doesn't, that is another car. He also has a manual transmission ;).

TheIntrepid

Quote from: TBR on January 03, 2007, 12:35:26 PM
He doesn't, that is another car. He also has a manual transmission ;).

Oh true.. :praise:

850CSi

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 03, 2007, 12:32:28 PM
Is that your interior? Looks great.... I didn't know you had iDrive

No, this is mine:

I wish I had iDrive (if it was free, I'd take it - I love gadgets), but on the plus side, the E90s interior looks nicer without it IMO. I still like the E46s interior more, though, as far as layout. But the E90s feels bigger (and it is, even though the car itself is about the same size) and it's also better as far as materials, fit, and finish.

TheIntrepid

SJ_GTI

I actually like the new 3er interior better than the old one. The old one was perfectly functional and is put together well, but isn't much to look at IMHO. The new one actually has some design cohesion to it. Kind of reminds me of the A4 actually.

Raza

Electronics? I know a lot of people hate I-Drive, but there are also a lot of technophobes who love it. And what about MMI and COMAND? BMW isn't the only company addicted to the gizmo craze - but somehow they've become the scapegoat.

Design is completely subjective. Personally, I still like the older models more, but I think a lot of the newer models are still great looking cars. [I still don't like the 7-Series very much, and the 6-Series is very unattractive from some angles]

And there's nothing to suggest that "they are more focused on gizmos for driving, than the driver for driving." The E90 is faster and handles better than the E46; the 5-Series has not gained a pound in over a decade; the 6-Series is lighter and handles MUCH better than any 8-Series ever did (except for MAYBE the CSi); the Z4 is a better car than the Z3; and the new M5 is lighter than the E39 and boasts an extra 2 cylinders and 100hp. The only car that has grown a lot and gained substantial weight is the 7-Series, and that's partially due to larger engines and a lot more interior room - by most accounts, it handles as well as its predecessor.

The one complaint that makes sense is that they've taken a price hike over previous years, and this is true. But that's economics and the laws of supply and demand at work - in addition to the fact that the standard equipment lists have grown pretty quickly .

I have absolutely no problem with people saying they liked the old ones more - I know I did - but all the anti-modern-BMW sentiment is built on a slightly loose foundation IMO. You can take issue with the fact that most of them are Autos, and most people that drive them aren't enthusiasts, yadda yadda yadda, but when it comes down to it, BMW still makes cars that are consistently at the top of their classes in powerplants, balance, and handling, and that's what matters IMO.

Faster isn't better.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Tave on January 04, 2007, 03:05:56 PM
?

He never said it was.

Don't mind Raza. He decided not to like BMW's after his parents made him drive a Passat for 2 years.  :lol:

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 04, 2007, 03:05:56 PM
?

He never said it was.

He mentioned that the new 3er was both "faster" and a better handler than the outgoing model, which, to me, means nothing.  And I'm not even sure that it handles better, I just think it has higher limits because it has more grip.  I'd be interested to see how both cars perform subjectively with the same set of tires and same size wheels. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 04, 2007, 03:08:21 PM
Don't mind Raza. He decided not to like BMW's after his parents made him drive a Passat for 2 years.  :lol:

VWs are awesome, hippie!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Quote from: Raza on January 05, 2007, 05:13:10 PM
He mentioned that the new 3er was both "faster" and a better handler than the outgoing model, which, to me, means nothing.? And I'm not even sure that it handles better, I just think it has higher limits because it has more grip.

Ah yes, because the stock run-flats on the E90 are much, much better tires than the standard ones of the E46.? :rolleyes:

Do you have ANY proof that a stock E46 325i will outrun an E90 325i?

Raghavan

I think he bought a VW Eos actually...

VetteZ06

Raghavan

1 BAD 7

Well said :clap:

I have both the more classic E39 5 series and more modern E65 BMW 7 series. I think they both look good in their own ways. I have a soft spot for both newer generation and older generation cars. But if you ask me which ones I perfer more I would say without a doubt the new ones.

I have had a chance to drive multiple 2006/2007 BMW 5 series sedan loaners back to with my E39 5 series and I think without a doubt the new ones are more refined and smoother cars not to mention more roomy. I love the I-drive setup and would give up my E39 series full of buttons every where anyday for such setup. As far as acceleration and handling goes the 2007 5 series to me felt better and more composed. I didnot care for the run flat tires when it comes to more fluid handling. However, I do realize they have certain very valid safety advantages over non-run flats.

My only gripe of 2007 E60 5 series vs my old E39 5 series is that certain materials on middle dash feel a bit less higher in quality then those found in E39 5 series. Other then that overall their is no doubt that new  E60 5 series is better in every regard.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

VetteZ06

Quote from: Raghavan on January 15, 2007, 03:45:34 PM
Well, he's gone now...

Indeed. I mistook another member for Car Zeus, so forget that I asked. :ohyeah:

thewizard16

92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

Yeah, I'm confused.  How far did he go?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

Quote from: Raza  on January 16, 2007, 11:06:27 AM
Yeah, I'm confused.  How far did he go?
Whatever the distance is between the computer lab and his 7th grade classroom?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TheIntrepid

I thought he's proven that he has nice cars? :huh:

mazda6er

I'm kidding. I honestly don't care one way or the other. How's the Camry running?  :partyon:  ;)
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TheIntrepid

It's all right. The all-seasons it came with are SHIT in the snow though. I want to get X-Ice tires like I put on my Intrepid ... but that'll wait till next winter.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: mazda6er on January 16, 2007, 01:15:33 PM
I'm kidding. I honestly don't care one way or the other. How's the Camry running?  :partyon:  ;)

What Camry?

mazda6er

--Mark

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna