I had an idea for a project.

Started by TheIntrepid, December 21, 2006, 03:46:33 PM

TheIntrepid

I know NOTHING about this stuff... sizes of engine bays or costs for all of this... but would it be possible for me to squeeze a 6.1L Hemi [or even a 5.7L with MDS] into my Intrepid? Maybe I can find a decent-condition 300, Charger, Ram, Magnum, Durango at a junkyard.

Anyone have more info? :huh:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

280Z Turbo

*shakes head*

Anything is possible, but no.

The Pirate

Your main problem is going to be putting a RWD specific engine and transmission into a FWD car.  Even if you got the engine to fit, it would probably be transverse instead of longitudinal, and that gives you a problem with hooking a trasmission up to it that will power the front wheels.

I'm sure it's possible, but unless you are incredibly good at welding/fabricating, it's not likely.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: The Pirate on December 21, 2006, 04:15:43 PM

I'm sure it's possible, but unless you are incredibly good at welding/fabricating, it's not likely.

I know nothing about any of that. I figured I could pay a dealership to do it? How about an AWD or RWD conversion?

heelntoe

i have some crazy project ideas but none are this crazy. even if you do an awd conversion, it would be a fwd based awd setup whereby you still need to mate a longitudinal engine to an fwd transmission. if i'm not mistaken, there is a ford minivan that uses such a transmission.

okay, actually, one of my project ideas is even crazier.
@heelntoe

TheIntrepid

Rupert

Um, yeah, sure, you could do that. Or you could save money and buy a car that comes with the Hemi new...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: The Pirate on December 21, 2006, 04:15:43 PM
Your main problem is going to be putting a RWD specific engine and transmission into a FWD car.? Even if you got the engine to fit, it would probably be transverse instead of longitudinal, and that gives you a problem with hooking a trasmission up to it that will power the front wheels.

Actually, the chrysler LH platform cars are all longitudinal engines.

If I were Intrepid and serious about making a project car out of an Intrepid; I'd be looking at swapping a Mitsu twin turbo 6G72 into there; as far as I Know, thos have the same engine mounting and bellhousing bolt patterns as the 6G73s used in the LHs's.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 21, 2006, 04:21:19 PM
I know nothing about any of that. I figured I could pay a dealership to do it? How about an AWD or RWD conversion?

A dealership likely wouldn't have the know-how or the tools required to do any of those things.

Here are the problems with dropping a Hemi in an LH Chrysler.  First, there's the space issue, though it could probably be made to fit.  The bigger problem would be the fact that I doubt Chrysler FWD transaxle could hold up to the Hemi's torque output.  Even if it could, I doubt it would simply bolt right up to the V8 without some kind of custom fabrication work.  And then you have to ask yourself, why would you want a hemi powered FWD?

A RWD conversion would probably be a necessity if you were to put a Hemi in an Intrepid.  But, this would require some pretty extensive custom fabrication work.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 21, 2006, 04:21:19 PM

Ummm, no.

No dealership on earth is going to do that kind of work. You might find a Hotrod shop or fabb shop willing to take on the project, but they'll be billing you.

A lot. Figure 200+ hours at $70-$90/hr
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SaltyDog

Or you can buy yourself a 94-96 Caprice SS, LT1-optioned Caprice, or a Buick Roadmaster and save yourself mad money.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: SaltyDog on December 21, 2006, 04:35:35 PM
Or you can buy yourself a 94-96 Caprice SS, LT1-optioned Caprice, or a Buick Roadmaster and save yourself mad money.

I would but I don't want an old car. I'm not even planning on doing this Hemi conversion it was just an idea. PERHAPS if it was practical then down the road I might.

MX793

Quote from: SaltyDog on December 21, 2006, 04:35:35 PM

Roadmaster wagon with the faux wood sides like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-Roadmaster-Estate-Wagon-1995_W0QQitemZ120066853763QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6143QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Modded, it would be such an awesome sleeper at stoplights.

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

There are a few companies that offer V8 conversion kits for my Focus:

http://www.kugelkomponents.com/focus/focus.html

That's just to give you an idea of all the stuff you'd have to fabricate/adapt all by yourself. Plus, you'd need to find the motor, rear axle, driveshaft, trans. An Intrepid is not a good enough car to put all that work into.

Finding a way to turbocharge the 3.5L V6 seems like a much more practical way to go fast.

Danish

:rolleyes:

Its damn near impossible as the others have stated. The best thing to do is to modify the existing engine, or get a project car.

One other way you could make your car faster is to make it lighter
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Raza

I say do it.  I want to watch and laugh.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

Quote from: MX793 on December 21, 2006, 04:40:40 PM
Roadmaster wagon with the faux wood sides like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-Roadmaster-Estate-Wagon-1995_W0QQitemZ120066853763QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6143QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Modded, it would be such an awesome sleeper at stoplights.

It sure would.  I think The Bartender has one like that.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

The Pirate

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 21, 2006, 04:26:05 PM
Actually, the chrysler LH platform cars are all longitudinal engines.

If I were Intrepid and serious about making a project car out of an Intrepid; I'd be looking at swapping a Mitsu twin turbo 6G72 into there; as far as I Know, thos have the same engine mounting and bellhousing bolt patterns as the 6G73s used in the LHs's.

That I did not know.  What are the advantages of a longitudinal FWD setup?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

sparkplug

I'm sorry to say this - Are you out your mind?

Hehehe.  :loopy:

A far better idea would be to change the engine to one that runs off an alternative fuel source. Something that inspires people.

One that runs on Fart power.  :rockon:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: The Pirate on December 21, 2006, 08:43:08 PM

That I did not know.? What are the advantages of a longitudinal FWD setup?

Few and far between; which may be why you don't see it often. Chrysler was pushing 'Cab Forward' design at the time, and really those V6s are pretty cubelike anyways, so there may not be much difference in weight distribution. There are some that claim that they are smoother shifting and off the line because the engine does not pitch forward and back on its mounts like a transverse set up does. It also make it easier to have and AWD-optional vehicle line, although Chrysler never took advantage of that (except in the Stealth/3000GT).

The Toronados and Eldorados had longitudinal engines too.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: sparkplug on December 21, 2006, 09:14:18 PM

One that runs on Fart power. :rockon:

Nah, you'd end up shitting your pants on long trips.

sparkplug

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 21, 2006, 09:18:01 PM
Few and far between; which may be why you don't see it often. Chrysler was pushing 'Cab Forward' design at the time, and really those V6s are pretty cubelike anyways, so there may not be much difference in weight distribution. There are some that claim that they are smoother shifting and off the line because the engine does not pitch forward and back on its mounts like a transverse set up does. It also make it easier to have and AWD-optional vehicle line, although Chrysler never took advantage of that (except in the Stealth/3000GT).

The Toronados and Eldorados had longitudinal engines too.

3000GTs didn't have longitudinal mount engines, they were transverse.

IIRC, one advantage of longitudinal mount is that it's easier to get equal length half-shafts, which reduces torque steer.  I can't say I've ever heard much about torque steer in old Toronados, and those came with 455 cubic inch big blocks, so if a car was going to have torque steer it would be one of those.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on December 21, 2006, 09:39:31 PM
3000GTs didn't have longitudinal mount engines, they were transverse.

IIRC, one advantage of longitudinal mount is that it's easier to get equal length half-shafts, which reduces torque steer.? I can't say I've ever heard much about torque steer in old Toronados, and those came with 455 cubic inch big blocks, so if a car was going to have torque steer it would be one of those.

Well, I can say for certain that the Eldos did not have equal length half-shaft; and they had 500 CI motors. Torque steer wasn't engineering out as much as it was effectively crushed by a power steering box that would be at home on a Peterbilt.

Rupert

Quote from: sparkplug on December 21, 2006, 09:14:18 PM
I'm sorry to say this - Are you out your mind?

Hehehe.  :loopy:

A far better idea would be to change the engine to one that runs off an alternative fuel source. Something that inspires people.

One that runs on Fart power.  :rockon:

So... A Honda engine?

Had to be said... ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

850CSi

My crazy idea is to buy an E36 318iS and drop in an LS2.

That would be insane.

Danish

My crazy idea is to buy a rice rocket.... and restore it to stock :devil:

Like this:

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

280Z Turbo

My crazy idea was to drop a VG30ET (from an 80s 300ZX turbo) into my old Ranger.

I got damn close too! But, I didn't know if the oil pan would clear the crossmember/suspension, how to make motor mounts, tranny mounts, custom driveshaft, blah, blah, blah...

There are so many things on a motor swap that you wouldn't ever think of until you get there.

heelntoe

my crazy plan is to put a v6 into the rear of my car, like the renault clio v6.
@heelntoe

TheIntrepid

OR a 1990 Camry 4WD with an Audi V10...mid-engined. :lol: