BMW M5 vs Chrysler 300C SRT-8 (Top Gear)

Started by cawimmer430, December 22, 2006, 09:58:54 AM

Lebowski

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 24, 2006, 11:01:21 AM
I may be wrong but isn't the XLR-V fundamentally a Z06 in executive clothing?

No.? It's based on the base C6, only it is slower and significantly heavier than the base C6, yet is twice as expensive.? The engine isn't an LS2 or LS7, I believed it's a supercharged northstar that puts out less power than the LS2.? The interior has the same shitty hard plastic as all other GM products.? It's an inferior sports car to the C6 and it's also an inferior luxury/executive cruiser to the competition (I'm guessing they're targeting the SL?).

In summary, it's an overpriced piece of shit and anyone who would buy one would have to be either a) on crack, or b) utterly unknowledgable about cars.

MX793

Quote from: Lebowski on December 24, 2006, 11:07:35 AM
No.  It's based on the base C6, only it is slower and significantly heavier than the base C6, yet is twice as expensive.  The engine isn't an LS2 or LS7, I believed it's a supercharged northstar that puts out less power than the LS2.  The interior has the same hard plastic as all other GM products.  It's an inferior sports car to the C6 and it's also an inferior luxury/executive cruiser to the competition (I'm guessing they're targeting the SL with it).

In summary, it's an overpriced piece of shit and anyone who would buy one would have to be either a) on crack, or b) utterly unknowledgable about cars.

The XLR-V is more powerful and quicker than the standard C6.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Lebowski

Quote from: MX793 on December 24, 2006, 11:12:49 AM
The XLR-V is more powerful and quicker than the standard C6.

Sorry, it is a bit more powerful but it is most certainly not quicker.

0-60 in 4.7, 1/4 in 13.0, top speed 155.

Comparable figures for base C6 are 4.2, 12.8, and 186.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/10846/road-test-review-2006-cadillac-xlr-v-2006-cadillac-xlr-v-specifications-page3.html

I was wrong on the hp figure but regardless, my point remains it's slower than a C6, has a shitty interior, and is an utter ripoff at $100k.  I reiterate my opinion that you'd have to be either stupid or on crack to purchase one.

The Pirate

Don't underestimate the number of crackheads and stupid people with money.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

1 BAD 7

No surprise here M5 is the best midsize/large luxury sports sedan. I think just the fact that people are even seriously comparing a 300 C SRT-8 to M5 speaks volumes about how good this car is for its price. I think at its price no other midsize/large luxury sports sedan can compete head to head with 300 C SRT-8. It offers tons of performance and style for a $45K car.

If I was limited to $45K and wanted a super fast midsize/large luxury sedan with nice and upscale styling I would go for SRT-8 myself. However, for those that can afford a $80K car and want the best sports sedan in that class period I think M5 is the obvious choice.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Submariner

Quote from: Kayani_1 on December 26, 2006, 04:29:58 PM
No surprise here M5 is the best midsize/large luxury sports sedan.

C&D would disagree.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

sportyaccordy

My mom could have seen that outcome.

And just in watching the video I can tell how the SRT-8 handles and rides. Soft springs to mitigate the stiffness of the heavy handed dampers that have to control the 20" rims. Terrible combination. You get no handling or ride quality.

As far as the M5...it's a nice sedan with a very cool engine, but a sports sedan? Me thinks not. My experience with it is limited to GT4, but even in that it's painfully apparent that the M5 is overburdened by its own weight, whether it be in braking or turning. It's a sports sedan like my dad's M45 would be with a better sorted suspension...

TheIntrepid

Ah I posted that a couple days ago. I read an old C&D and I saw that it has a Supercharged Northstar 443hp. I see.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

1 BAD 7

I dont think C&D would disagree with 7-speed SMG M5 as the best sedan because it has previously beaten the Audi S6 and E55 AMG. I think they just didnot like the fact that the 6-speed makes M5 slower and causes its electro nannies to not be turned off. Keep in mind that it is the 6-speed manual M5 that failed to win the comparison where as 7-speed SMG in M5 in various automotive sources has not only beaten E55 AMG but also the CLS55 AMG .

Quote from: Submariner on December 26, 2006, 05:47:44 PM
C&D would disagree.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

Where you might have driven a M5 in a video game sportyaccord I have driven it in person and believe me when I say that M5 has more in common with a sports sedan then a normal driver would ever have with an experienced race car driver. Most normal drivers ability/talents to drive fast will reach its limits first before M5 would ever reach its limits.

By no stretch of imagination M5 is as small or light weight as an EVO MR or WRX-STi and neither should it be. But when you are behind the wheel the M5 size tends to shrink arround it self and car inspires great confidence that is hard to be duplicated in cars with far less mass that I have driven. I think M5 is a very decent size ultimate luxury sports sedan and nothing else. Where  EVO MR and WRX-STi are cramped tight little sedan with back seats that are no more roomy then some 2 door coupes. The M5 has dual personality of practicality, luxury and fun that is hard for those cars to duplicate. This is not just limited to M5 but also to cars like CLS 63 AMG or E63 AMG and Audi S6 or RS6.

I think overall everything is a compromise of one sort or another in life. The difference between M5 and EVO MR is the difference between Porsche Cayman S and Lotus Exige.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 26, 2006, 11:22:57 PM
As far as the M5...it's a nice sedan with a very cool engine, but a sports sedan? Me thinks not. My experience with it is limited to GT4, but even in that it's painfully apparent that the M5 is overburdened by its own weight, whether it be in braking or turning. It's a sports sedan like my dad's M45 would be with a better sorted suspension...

www.KayaniTravel.com

850CSi

It's a little too heavy, but the M5 is still the best sedan on the market right now, and the 2nd best ever built (behind the E39).

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on December 22, 2006, 05:48:45 PM
How many of those cars will seat four passengers in comfort, and be refined and practical enough to use as an everyday car?

BMW 335, for one. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on December 27, 2006, 12:33:59 AM
It's a little too heavy, but the M5 is still the best sedan on the market right now, and the 2nd best ever built (behind the E39).

Yeah, the day I believe that is the day BMW marketers cut my head open and just go to town.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

1 BAD 7

www.KayaniTravel.com

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=6858.msg318392#msg318392 date=1167272341
BMW 335, for one.?

An M5 will destroy a 335 around a fast track. I am saying this from personal experience riding in an M5 (with three other people) and simply destroying a 335i coupe around Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez. This even with the advantage that the turbo gets in Mexico City being almost 8000ft above sea level. So, I am waiting still for someone to mention a faster sedan than an M5 around a track........

I'd actually take an M5 easily over an M6 since I love the cool factor of being able to tell to the kids: "wave bye bye to the nice man in that Carrera S".
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

BMWDave

Quote from: MX793 on December 24, 2006, 11:06:00 AM
No.? Totally different powertrain.

Yup, it has the supercharged Northstar engine, while the Vette has the LS7.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Mak450

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on December 24, 2006, 07:35:39 AM
Of course, The GT.  That's what I would like to see more of!

Hmm there is the S7TT, its definitely fast but I don't think its been tested by many European magazines. There's also the Mosler MT900, although since Clarkson likes to argue that the GT is European, theres probably a few good reasons why the MT900 is European in his mind as well. There's that SSC Aero thing, but thats gotten so much flak for looking like a mangled Diablo in the past that I don't really think Clarkson would have many nice things to say about it.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Mak450 on May 14, 2007, 07:44:08 PM
Hmm there is the S7TT, its definitely fast but I don't think its been tested by many European magazines. There's also the Mosler MT900, although since Clarkson likes to argue that the GT is European, theres probably a few good reasons why the MT900 is European in his mind as well. There's that SSC Aero thing, but thats gotten so much flak for looking like a mangled Diablo in the past that I don't really think Clarkson would have many nice things to say about it.

The Callaway C16 on the latest R&T is also sweet.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 14, 2007, 07:04:31 PM
An M5 will destroy a 335 around a fast track. I am saying this from personal experience riding in an M5 (with three other people) and simply destroying a 335i coupe around Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez. This even with the advantage that the turbo gets in Mexico City being almost 8000ft above sea level. So, I am waiting still for someone to mention a faster sedan than an M5 around a track........

Wasn't the Maserati Quattroporte faster around a track in a recent magazine test with only 400 HP?  Now that is a sexy exclusive sports sedan. 

Mak450

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 14, 2007, 09:15:35 PM
The Callaway C16 on the latest R&T is also sweet.

Definitely! I don't care for the nose, but everything else looks amazing.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Lebowski on December 24, 2006, 11:17:17 AM

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/10846/road-test-review-2006-cadillac-xlr-v-2006-cadillac-xlr-v-specifications-page3.html

I was wrong on the hp figure but regardless, my point remains it's slower than a C6, has a shitty interior, and is an utter ripoff at $100k.  I reiterate my opinion that you'd have to be either stupid or on crack to purchase one.

stick vs. auto?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on December 24, 2006, 11:17:17 AM

I was wrong on the hp figure but regardless, my point remains it's slower than a C6, has a shitty interior, and is an utter ripoff at $100k.? I reiterate my opinion that you'd have to be either stupid or on crack to purchase one.

See, now that is irony.  :lol:  :devil:

SVT666

If I was being given one of these cars, I would take the M5.  If I had to pay for it, I would take the SRT-8.  80% of the performance for 50% of the price...and better looks.

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 15, 2007, 08:32:23 AM
If I was being given one of these cars, I would take the M5.? If I had to pay for it, I would take the SRT-8.? 80% of the performance for 50% of the price...and better looks.

Speaking of being given one of these cars.  Burger King has a Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT as part of a give away. 

I know the chances of winning are like nil, but I couldn't help fantasizing about having one of those sexy beasts while I was munching on my triple whopper.

Tave

Quote from: 565 on May 15, 2007, 08:48:07 AM
Speaking of being given one of these cars.? Burger King has a Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT as part of a give away.?

I know the chances of winning are like nil, but I couldn't help fantasizing about having one of those sexy beasts while I was munching on my triple whopper.

How much would you have to pay on taxes to "win" that? 20 grand, 30?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Quote from: Tave on May 15, 2007, 10:06:51 AM
How much would you have to pay on taxes to "win" that? 20 grand, 30?

No idea, but that sucks the government wants a piece of stuff we even win.  WTF right?  :cry:

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

SVT666

Quote from: 565 on May 15, 2007, 10:39:25 AM
No idea, but that sucks the government wants a piece of stuff we even win.? WTF right?? :cry:
Canadians don't pay taxes on prizes or lottery winnings. :P

Tave

Quote from: 565 on May 15, 2007, 10:39:25 AM
No idea, but that sucks the government wants a piece of stuff we even win.? WTF right?? :cry:

Yeah. The sad fact is whoever wins the Quattroporte won't even be able to afford the taxes he or she will have to pay. They'll have to sell the car to pay for their "prize," likely without ever even driving it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.