GM Threatens Lawsuit Against Chery

Started by GMPenguin, May 07, 2005, 10:16:53 AM

GMPenguin

source

General Motors warns may file suit against China car importer - report
05.05.2005, 11:10 PM

HONG KONG (AFX) - General Motors Corp has threatened the US-importer of Chinese-made Chery cars with legal action if it proceeds with plans to use the brand name in America, the Financial Times reported.

In its online edition the newspaper said that lawyers for GM wrote last month to Malcolm Bricklin, whose Visionary Vehicles plans to sell Chery cars in 2007, to warn that the brand is too similar to Chevy, the nickname for its Chevrolet brand.

Bricklin told the Financial Times he would use the Chery name anyway.

In its letter, GM said: 'We will oppose Chery's application to register the Chery name, as well as seek to prevent their importation, sale or use of the Chery name on or in connection with vehicles, their parts and accessories, or on . . .automotive dealerships.'

GM is already engaged in legal action against Chery in China over the QQ, a hatchback that GM claims is a copy of the Daewoo Matiz, sold in China under the Chevrolet badge, the Financial Times said.

Speed_Racer

Bricklin thought that GM would just let it slide? Hah. Everytime I see Chery, I think Chevy. NOt to mention their QQ is a near copy of the Spark. I even heard that if you took the doors from the QQ and put it on the Chevy Spark, the doors would seal tight (as in a perfect fit.)

Have they no shame?

giant_mtb

ifcar

QuoteBricklin thought that GM would just let it slide? Hah. Everytime I see Chery, I think Chevy. NOt to mention their QQ is a near copy of the Spark. I even heard that if you took the doors from the QQ and put it on the Chevy Spark, the doors would seal tight (as in a perfect fit.)

Have they no shame?
It's not Bricklin's problem, I don't believe that the QQ is one of the Cherys to be coming to the US.  

Speed_Racer

QuoteBricklin thought that GM would just let it slide? Hah. Everytime I see Chery, I think Chevy. NOt to mention their QQ is a near copy of the Spark. I even heard that if you took the doors from the QQ and put it on the Chevy Spark, the doors would seal tight (as in a perfect fit.)

Have they no shame?
It's not Bricklin's problem, I don't believe that the QQ is one of the Cherys to be coming to the US.
No, I mean that he is thinking that he can just bring over a company with a near similar name to an already established brand, and not get away with it.

SOrry about the confusion.  :)  

ifcar

Have they no shame?
No, I mean that he is thinking that he can just bring over a company with a near similar name to an already established brand, and not get away with it.

"Chery" only looks like the nickname for the brand Chevrolet, it doesn't even sound like that nickname. That shouldn't present a problem.

SJ_GTI

Have they no shame?

"Chery" only looks like the nickname for the brand Chevrolet, it doesn't even sound like that nickname. That shouldn't present a problem.
"Chevy" and "Chery" are way to close for such mainstream branding.

It would be like me starting a brand called Mercedes Bens, Nisan, or Puegat.

There is no way "Chery" will be a brand in the US. At least that is my opinion...

ifcar

Have they no shame?

There is no way "Chery" will be a brand in the US. At least that is my opinion...
Except that Chevy is only a nickname (like Bimmer or Caddie), and that they don't sound the same.

And Chery is certainly going to be a brand in the US. The vehicles have been designed and unveiled, dealerships have been signed up. It's not changing because of a few people whining about the name.  

SJ_GTI

Have they no shame?

Except that Chevy is only a nickname (like Bimmer or Caddie), and that they don't sound the same.

And Chery is certainly going to be a brand in the US. The vehicles have been designed and unveiled, dealerships have been signed up. It's not changing because of a few people whining about the name.
There is no way a new brand could come in and be called "Bimmer" or "Caddy" or "Caddie" either. The name is too recognized.

I have no doubt "Chery" will import cars, but I am thinking they will need to use a different brand-name.

ifcar

Have they no shame?

There is no way a new brand could come in and be called "Bimmer" or "Caddy" or "Caddie" either. The name is too recognized.

I have no doubt "Chery" will import cars, but I am thinking they will need to use a different brand-name.
I doubt that they will. I don't think anyone will have trouble distinguishing between "Chery" and "Chevy" any more than between "Hyundai" and "Honda".

GMPenguin

QuoteI don't think anyone will have trouble distinguishing between "Chery" and "Chevy" any more than between "Hyundai" and "Honda".
Odd coincidence how you used a brand which has many vehicles very similar to others. (Hyundai)

BMWDave

I hope they sue the hell out of them.  And I hope that every manufacturer who had a car copied by them (BMW, Honda, to name a few) should sue the hell out of them.  It must be known that such copying cannot be tolerated in today's market.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

GMPenguin

QuoteI hope they sue the hell out of them.  And I hope that every manufacturer who had a car copied by them (BMW, Honda, to name a few) should sue the hell out of them.  It must be known that such copying cannot be tolerated in today's market.
Do you feel the same about Kias/Hyundais?

BMWDave

QuoteI hope they sue the hell out of them.  And I hope that every manufacturer who had a car copied by them (BMW, Honda, to name a few) should sue the hell out of them.  It must be known that such copying cannot be tolerated in today's market.
Do you feel the same about Kias/Hyundais?
I dont quite feel the same as much because their designs are not as obviously copied.  Yes, one could say that they are copied, but when you get to the point of Chery taking an X5 and putting a different badge on it, that pisses me off.  I in no way condone Hyundai's similarity to other cars.  I think they should be more unique.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

For instance, just one look at one of Chery's rip offs:

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

And that is not an isolated example.  All their cars are like that!  When an automaker does that they dont deserve to exist!

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

QuoteFor instance, just one look at one of Chery's rip offs:

Why does they logo look like the Infiniti logo?  <_<  

BMWDave

QuoteFor instance, just one look at one of Chery's rip offs:

Why does they logo look like the Infiniti logo?  <_<
Thats another thing they sort of copied.  They are full of imitations! :angry:  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteAnd that is not an isolated example.  All their cars are like that!  When an automaker does that they dont deserve to exist!
Take a look at the side profile of the Chery SUV.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Bear in mind that the Cherys coming to the US are not going to be fraudulent rip-offs. What they sell here and what they sell in their domestic market are as unrelated as Opels and Pontiacs.  

BMWDave

QuoteBear in mind that the Cherys coming to the US are not going to be fraudulent rip-offs. What they sell here and what they sell in their domestic market are as unrelated as Opels and Pontiacs.
I still wouldnt buy from such a company.  These rip offs astound me!  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteBear in mind that the Cherys coming to the US are not going to be fraudulent rip-offs. What they sell here and what they sell in their domestic market are as unrelated as Opels and Pontiacs.
I believe they've improved past that standard even in their home market though.  

BMWDave

When a manufacturer does such blatant copying as chery is doing, then I refuse to buy from them, wherever they sell cars.  Once again, I hope that they are sued out of business.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

When a manufacturer does such blatant copying as chery is doing, then I refuse to buy from them, wherever they sell cars.  Once again, I hope that they are sued out of business.
Just for the record, their competitors are far more blatant.

BMWDave

Just for the record, their competitors are far more blatant.
Name me one manufacturer in China that wants to export to the US besides Chery.  If they all copy cars, then shame on them.  I sure as hell am not going to buy from any car company that copies that lack.  I dont know how you can get more blatant either.  This is badge engineering already. :angry:  

2007 Honda S2000