Does anyone have any experience with...

Started by 850CSi, December 28, 2006, 01:56:54 AM

850CSi

Chrome paint?

(Post copied from chat thread...)

I really really really want to do this:

If I found a 330i owner willing to swap, I could do that. Otherwise, I would have to buy the trim ($200 ea. side), and I'm not paying that kind of money for chrome trim.

Maybe it's possible to chrome the black trim I already have?

I guess you could use chrome tape for the straight window sill trim. People have done it to their front grilles:

(Although I think the grille should stay black - If I had a 330i I'd black it out like my car)

HOWEVER, that won't work for the curved upper part.

The best idea, then, is probably to spray paint.

I'm thinking of something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP525-1-Bright-Chrome-Aerosol/dp/B000A8J5DA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_2_txt/102-9149046-3033727

http://www.amazon.com/Plastikote-Bumper-Chrome-Paint-oz/dp/B0002KQ0DO

I guess, worst case scenario, if it's butt-ugly, I could always just re-paint them black. I need to figure out if I'm going to do? this soon, because I'm at home for break and I have a garage to work with here. Also, my mom could probably help me a lot with this, she's always been good at things like this.

Do you guys think it would look right and hold up as time goes on? I'm a little skeptical myself because I've never seen an example of chrome spray painting.

The process of removing and installing the trim itself is relatively simple, a lot of people have actually done swaps with 330i owners who prefer black trim.

Don't get me wrong, I like the black trim just fine. But, I think it looks much better when you have tinted windows, and I'm not tinting my windows any time soon. I've always preferred the chrome trim, and $10 for a spray paint can is a very small price to pay IMO for such an improvement. Don't worry, there's no way I'm chroming my grille or any other part of the car (unless anyone has a good idea). The only other cosmetic mod I'm thinking about at this time is blackline tail lights (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4660), but they're too expensive.

What do you guys think?

850CSi

Here's a more color-specific comparison...

Mine:

330i

While I'm at it... notice the chrome strips on the lower air dam of the 330i... I think that's a simple tape job which I might also do...

mazda6er

My car has a chrome grill. I'd be willing to trade.  :partyon:

Seriously though, I would either just leave it alone or commit to shelling out the cash to have it done right. I've never done anything like this, but I can't imagine it would last forever and you might end up with more trouble than it's worth. Kinda like touching up a spot on a wall with a little bit of paint, then you step back...and it doesn't match. If it were my car, I'd keep it all black, like it is. That's my 2 cents.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

280Z Turbo

What a horrible thing it would be for me to own a new BMW. I'd have to invent stuff to mod like window trim! ;)

Leave it alone, it looks fine. If you screw it up, it won't.

In my experience, chrome paint looks nothing like chrome (more like dull aluminum) and shiny tape will peel off, especially out in the elements. Those kind of methods are better suited to a Z-car or rice-rocket, not a classy BMW.

Do it right or don't do it at all. Buy some used trim from a 330 owner and sell your old stuff.

VTEC_Inside

I have some chrome spray paint here (looks like the stuff in your second link). I can't remember what I bought it for, but I've used it from time to time to paint little trinkets.

Assuming excellent surface prep you would still never get the finish that I believe you are looking for.

It shines/reflects pretty darn good, but it just doesn't have that chrome mirror appearance.

The stuff in your first link may just work, but at the same time this isn't a 10yr old beater. I wouldn't do it on such a new car.

If you really want the chrome and BMW makes the pieces that way, then I would try and get them.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

JWC

Don't do it  Step away from the car and take a deep breath.

This type of "trim" is only for Hondas with big wings on the rear hatch.

TheIntrepid

Don't do it.

I used to drive one of these in black...

and the chrome trim always reminds me of that car. I don't think you want people comparing your 2006 BMW to a 2000 Camry... or a 2000 Sonata GLS that my friend owns with that same type of trim.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

850CSi

Raza

Quote from: JWC on December 28, 2006, 05:38:30 PM
Don't do it  Step away from the car and take a deep breath.

This type of "trim" is only for Hondas with big wings on the rear hatch.

Listen to the man!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Soup DeVille

OK, so one of the caddy freaks I keep in touch with went to great pains a couple of years ago to lighten his '77 Coupe, and ended up making a fiberglass mold of the very heavy stock bumper. It looked great when he was finished, but he could never get the chrome paint to look decent at all: and this is a guy that knows painting.

Eventually, he had to make a much simpler (and obviously nonstock, which was what he was trying to avoid) aluminum one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

850CSi

Looking at my post, it was at 4am. I think of some strange things at 4am. I must have been out of my mind to think that a can of spray paint could emulate proper chrome. :lol:

I would still love to have the chrome trim, and if I find a 330i owner in my area who wants to do it, I will jump at the opportunity (like I said, a lot of 330i owners have the same problem I have - except they can't find a local enthusiast with a 325i who wants to switch). There are a few exterior mods I think are very very nice looking, and I'd like to do, especially the chrome and blackline taillights:

HOWEVER, I'm not paying $600+ to get that look that I want. There are people out there who would KILL for $600 to buy bread and water with, and I'm not willing to spend money on chrome trim that does nothing for the vehicle.

However, I still need the advice of... whoever wants to give advice.

My favorite simple exterior mod has always been license plates and license plate frames. Up until a few months ago, I just had my plate mounted without anything (after removing the dealer frame, which I hate). Then I got a nice chrome frame for $7:

But I've been thinking lately that the frame is just too big and too thick and covers up too much of the plates, and I removed it a few days ago when I washed my car. But I also found an old battered Syrian plate lying around my garage. I've seen people put European plates under their state ones, so I thought 'why not?'

I think it looks cool, a little unique. But I'm thinking of re-painting that plate because it looks so beat up (easiest way is probably to get a piece of cardboard, trace and cut out the numbers and everything [make something of a template], and then just spray paint it all.

I'm thinking of keeping that until I get sick of it (soon :lol:), then maybe switching off with something else... Also thinking of maybe getting a German plate to mount under the Illinois plate...

Maybe a BMW frame?

I want a solution. I'm thinking a thin black steel frame with the slight tint covering the plate itself (always thought it looked cool):

Very silly subject, yes. But feel free to chime in with what's most interesting/unique/nice/etc. It's a cheap mod and I'm willing to try a lot of things
:lol:

The Pirate

'Nuff said.  :lol:

As far as the chrome vs. black trime, I think the black look better.  Of course, I drive a base model Civic...

If you were going to do something to the car, I would go for the blackline lights.  I love that look, and it would work very well on a black car imho.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

850CSi

I would do it if they were half of what they cost ($200)

I like the blacklines because I've always thought there's too much red in the rear taillight, the all white top makes it look like older BMWs (most notably E38 7er). Also, the turn signal is amber (now it's just red), and I've always thought those to be more noticable, especially driving a smaller car.

It's a simple install, too. I have $200, so I might do it, but it's still a little steep. I wish I could just make the current red section white but it's not possible.

The black look is really from the casing, the lights themselves are clear.

850CSi

The Pirate

If they made a blackline type kit for my car, I'd get it in a second.  As it is, I've given serious thought to getting these lights, thus changing the turn signal to a clear lense (with an amber bulb).

For reference, stocker is here:

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

850CSi

^Yep, very similar in principle to what I want to do I guess. Clear is def. nicer.

The other part of me is thinking to wait until the 3 gets a mild facelift and get whatever taillights come with that.

JYODER240

I would just trade trim with the 330i owner :huh:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

280Z Turbo

Good thing you blurred out the plate number or else I would come to your house and :mask: on you.

:pullover: :lockedup:

850CSi

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 29, 2006, 12:05:30 AM
I would just trade trim with the 330i owner :huh:

Not easy to find someone willing to do it.

850CSi

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 29, 2006, 12:13:29 AM
Good thing you blurred out the plate number or else I would come to your house and :mask: on you.

:pullover: :lockedup:

:lol: