Japanese Review of the new Nissan Skyline 250GT (Infiniti G25)

Started by cawimmer430, December 28, 2006, 11:20:42 AM

cawimmer430

I'm kind of liking this car, so I found this review on www.carview.co.jp on the Nissan Skyline. Awesome ride. So much better-looking than the Lexus IS350.  :evildude:

The google translation is terrible though. I don't get it.  :lol:

Original Link: http://www.carview.co.jp/road_impression/2006/nissan_skyline/

Google Translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carview.co.jp%2Froad_impression%2F2006%2Fnissan_skyline%2F&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Catman

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 28, 2006, 11:20:42 AM
I'm kind of liking this car, so I found this review on www.carview.co.jp on the Nissan Skyline. Awesome ride. So much better-looking than the Lexus IS350.  :evildude:

The google translation is terrible though. I don't get it.  :lol:

Original Link: http://www.carview.co.jp/road_impression/2006/nissan_skyline/

Google Translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carview.co.jp%2Froad_impression%2F2006%2Fnissan_skyline%2F&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

Looks pretty nice.  I think the front works better than the rear - the nose is aggressive but the rear is a bit bland.  The interior looks cool.

I think this will provide some good competition to the Saab 93, Volvo S60, Cadillac BLS etc when it goes on sale in Europe!

the Teuton

If we got a G25 that sold for $5k less or so, I'd start saving up for it. 
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 28, 2006, 11:20:42 AM
much better-looking than the Lexus IS350.  :evildude:

Though I agree with you that the G35 is a much better all-around car than the IS350, I don't care much for its styling, whereas I'm smitten by the IS350's curvy sleek lines. :mask:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

JYODER240

The IS350 design is weak IMO. The front is aggressive, the rear is big and bulky and its bland everywhere inbetween. They should stick with one theme for the entire car.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

cawimmer430

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 28, 2006, 06:46:54 PM
Though I agree with you that the G35 is a much better all-around car than the IS350, I don't care much for its styling, whereas I'm smitten by the IS350's curvy sleek lines. :mask:

Dude, lay off the crack. :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

That's what happens when you just copy-paste into a translation machine and it just spits it out word for word instead of considering grammatical ideas and principles.

Laconian

Unfortunately, machines don't understand ideas or cultural context.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

nickdrinkwater

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

I'm afraid I don't understand this... they are coming out with a 4-door Skyline for what reason? To replace the G35? Sure it has AWD and probably some other fancy techo gizmos, but really, it's the same platform isn't it? Aren't they going to sell the Skyline name in the US, or is that going to be a competely different car altogether?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Quote from: NACar on December 30, 2006, 09:26:20 AM
I'm afraid I don't understand this... they are coming out with a 4-door Skyline for what reason? To replace the G35? Sure it has AWD and probably some other fancy techo gizmos, but really, it's the same platform isn't it? Aren't they going to sell the Skyline name in the US, or is that going to be a competely different car altogether?

You are a little confused, it's okay cause most American's who are "skyline fans" are pretty confused.

The Skyline can be thought of as Japan's BMW 3 series.  They are a series of sports sedans and coupes with a variety of engines and drivetrains.  The Skyline that American fanboys love to talk about is the Skyline GTR.  This is the equivalent of the BMW M3, and is the highest sport model.  I have no idea why in American they perfer to refer to the GTR as simply Skyline.  It seems in Japan it's always refered to simply as GTR.  It would be like everyone in Japan calling the M3 the 3 series, and assuming every 3 series was an M3.

As with the 3 series analogy, obviously the rest of the Skyline lineup is less sporty/powerful, just as not every 3 series is an M3.

The G35 is actually the Skyline Sedan 350GT.  It's not just based on it or anything like that, it actually is identical in nearly every way.  For the older G35's they didn't even bother to flip the radio controls from right hand drive.

So we have always gotten a Skyline sold in the U.S. since the G35 release.  It's no wonder the G35 did so well here.  Everyone acts as if Infiniti came out of nowhere and hit a home run, but truth is, their Skylines bave been the equivalent of BMW in the Japanese sports sedan/coupe market for decades.

In fact I think the Skyline nameplate is older than the BMW 3 series nameplate.

MX793

Quote from: NACar on December 30, 2006, 09:26:20 AM

The car we know as the G35 is actually the latest generation of Skyline and is called such in Japan.

The GT-R is a special, high performance version of the Skyline much like how the M3 is the high performance version of the BMW 3-series.  The Skyline itself is a fairly ordinary car and has come in a couple of body styles with several different engine and drivetrain options.  The last generation, the R34, was offered as both coupe and sedan and used engines ranging from a 140 hp 2.0L found in the base model to the 2.6L twin turbo found in the top dog GT-R.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ro51092

That's a nice car, looks and all.

Too bad the 3-series exists.  :devil: :evildude:

giant_mtb

I'm confused by another thing:  If that's a Japanese car, then why does it say "Nissan" and stuff on it instead of the same word but in Japanese symbols or letters or whatever they're called.  Isn't that kind of like if we had a car here made by us but the badging was actually Japanese instead of English?  :huh:

MX793

Strangely enough, a number of Japanese cars have their names written in English on the exterior of the car instead of using Japanese characters.  I have no idea why.  If you go to Nissan's Japanese website, most of the car names are in English while the rest of the site is in Japanese.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TheIntrepid

Quote from: MX793 on December 30, 2006, 11:53:04 AM
Strangely enough, a number of Japanese cars have their names written in English on the exterior of the car instead of using Japanese characters.  I have no idea why.  If you go to Nissan's Japanese website, most of the car names are in English while the rest of the site is in Japanese.

:huh: I see your point.  :confused:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ro51092

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 30, 2006, 11:45:56 AM
I'm confused by another thing:  If that's a Japanese car, then why does it say "Nissan" and stuff on it instead of the same word but in Japanese symbols or letters or whatever they're called.  Isn't that kind of like if we had a car here made by us but the badging was actually Japanese instead of English?  :huh:

Good point

pommes-t

Definitely a nicer car than all Toyotas/Lexus/Vill/Scions together!

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Ok... so does that mean the new Infinity version sold in the US will have this 4wd and 4 wheel steering junk?
And the new Skyline GTR they're talking about will be entirely different car altogether?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NACar on December 31, 2006, 06:03:22 AM
Ok... so does that mean the new Infinity version sold in the US will have this 4wd and 4 wheel steering junk?
And the new Skyline GTR they're talking about will be entirely different car altogether?

The Infiniti version of the car here (the G35) already doesn't have all that stuff...I don't get what you're asking.

Skyline = G35
GT-R = Not finished, but GT-R when it comes

MX793

Quote from: NACar on December 31, 2006, 06:03:22 AM

The new G35 is already out.  It's pretty much the same car you see in the pictures above except for different badges, the steering wheel is on the other side and the engine is 3.5L instead of 2.5L.

2nd gen G35

V36 generation Skyline (250GT pictured)

The previous generation G35 was the V35 generation Skyline.  Before that was the R34 generation Skyline.

The G35 (which is known as the Skyline 350GT in Japan) has offered AWD since its second year on the market.  Ever hear of the G35x?  It's an AWD Skyline.  Active 4-wheel steering is optional on the new 2nd generation G35.

The next GT-R will no longer be known as a "Skyline GT-R".  It'll just be called a GT-R.  Nissan is spinning it off as its own model much like how Toyota spun the Supra off from the Celica line in the 80s (the Supra was originally a high-end trim of the Celica called the Celica Supra).
Needs more Jiggawatts