C&D Family Sedan Comparo

Started by VetteZ06, December 28, 2006, 01:57:21 PM

VetteZ06

Just got the latest issue of C&D in the mail. They conducted a comparison test of family sedans, entitled "Familial Four-Doors." This wasn't a test of uplevel versions, as each car was equipped with the base engine and transmission combination. Prices ranged from $20,915 to $24,594.

6 - Chrysler Sebring Touring - 163 points
Highs: Adventurous styling, rides on marshmallows, easy-fold rear seats.
Lows: Slushy controls, a sitting-in-a-hole feeling, slow-mo acceleration.
Verdict: Chrysler pitches one to the Buick generation.

5 - Toyota Camry LE - 176 points
Highs: A smooth engine, scads of storage cubbies, a well-utilized interior.
Lows: Languid handling, a few loose trims bits, the curse of blandness.
Verdict: Still the crown prince of mainstream.

4 - Saturn Aura XE - 190 points
Highs: Styling a la mode, V-6 torque, happy in curves.
Lows: Dime-store interior, hand-dirtying trunk, poorest mileage.
Verdict: Laudable, but let down by details.

3 - Kia Optima EX - 193 points
Highs: Tops the Toyota's fit and finish, quiet inside, feature-packed for the price.
Lows: Spongy suspension, styling has high yawn factor.
Verdict: Surprisingly delightful for fewer dollars.

2 - Nissan Altima 2.5S - 198 points
Highs: Z-wannabe handling, quickest to 60, Mach 2 sheetmetal.
Lows: Silly start button, engine thrash, some cheapness inside.
Verdict: A pole setter that needs polish.

1 - Honda Accord SE - 202 points
Highs: Heavenly steering, engine sings with gusto, no wasted space inside.
Lows: Anonymous looks, fussy rear-seatback latch, dated interior.
Verdict: The everyman's car that bonds with enthusiasts.

Notable quotes:

"However, only riders above the posted age limit should get in line for this tranquilized cruiser." - Regarding the Sebring.

"Toyota sedans have never throbbed with driving passion, but at least they could boast of unimpeachable quality. The Camry was impeachable."

"If fit and finish ceases to be Toyota's obsession, what will define the company's products? We shudder to imagine." - The best quote of the entire article. Very, very true. :praise:

"It's not an official category, but the Aura would get 10 points out of 10 for being a perfect 'almost.'"

"Looking more Citroen than Chevy, the Saturn Aura breaks some GM patterns while thoroughly reinforcing others."

"And you thought Japan was worried about North Korea." - Talking about the Optima.

"If Kia wants to build the uber-Camry, Nissan offers the un-Camry."

"The Altima is ultimately cut down to second by small slip-ups."

"Honda has the formula so nailed that there can be no place for this car but up front."

"No question Honda still wears the kanmuri in this class."

If you have any questions or requests for more information, I'll be glad to oblige. :ohyeah:

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: VetteZ06 on December 28, 2006, 01:57:21 PM
"And you thought Japan was worried about North Korea." - Talking about the Optima.

:lol:

I'm surprised the Accord still wins these comparisons.  It's getting on a bit now isn't it?

Disappointed and surprised to see the Sebring last.  It might look like shit but I was still expecting it to be a decent car.

Even more surprised they placed the Kia above the Toyota.  By criticising the Aura for having a 'dime store' interior, then putting the Kia above it, seems to suggest the Kia is equal or better for interior quality.  Was this the case?

Is the Accord that good a handler?

VetteZ06

Yes, they spent an entire paragraph talking about the Kia's interior and, specifically, how it was better than the Camry's. Better fit and finish, better materials, well-damped controls, etc.

Seeing the Aura's performance in this test really gets on my nerves. GM is so close to offering up a real winner, but they had to cheap out on the little details. The Aura had great performance numbers (second-best zero to sixty, best quarter-mile acceleration, best skidpad grip, second-best stopping distances) and was apparently a lot of fun to drive, but in typical GM fashion, it just couldn't be a complete package. They loved the exterior styling, too, giving it a 10 out of 10 - the next best was an 8 for the Altima. If GM had given the Aura a well-executed interior, it probably would've been second place or higher. :banghead:

ifcar

The current Camry has inconsistent quality in the sense that some cars are built well, and some (more base models than uplevel, I've noticed) suffer fron the sort of problems they describe, en masse. But all have too-hard plastics.

The Pirate

I agree, the Aura has great potential, I'd really like to drive one.

I'm a Honda fan, but I'm surprised to see the Accord win, and even more surprised to see the Camry place so low (not that I think it's undeserved).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

nickdrinkwater

What were the prices of the cars?  I know you said 20k to 24k, but I just wondered how the Aura compared to the Accord in price.

It's a shame GM still don't seem to have learned their lesson on interiors.  Often I've thought that perhaps people are being too harsh on them for their interiors, but the fact that its a subject that keeps coming up even when new models are being tested suggests that GM really haven't improved quality that much  :huh:

On the other hand, low 20s is a really good deal for a car like the Aura.  I guess you get what you pay for in a way.

ifcar

They have improved drastically, but everyone else started better and also improved, changing the standards.

The Pirate

I wouldn't even be swayed by a lesser quality interior so much either.  As long as everything is functional, not going to fall off, and doesn't scream super chintzy, I could deal with it.  I'm more interested in the longevity of the vehicle.

Out of that group though, I'd probably buy the Honda for the sole reason of an available manual transmission.  Otherwise, the Aura would be high on my list.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

nickdrinkwater

The Aura doesn't have manual?  :confused:  :nono:

Catman

find is annoying that magazines will praise an interior (Aura) and then put it down in a later test.  I've seen this with other mags too.  It seems like the hype of a new model blinds them to obvious shortcomings.

MX793

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on December 28, 2006, 02:42:45 PM

Nope.  The only domestic branded GM cars with manual gearboxes are the Aveo, Cobalt/G5, Ion, HHR, Solstice/Sky, Corvette and the Cadillac CTS.  Basically just economy cars and sports cars (and one sport-lux).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

mazda6er

Quote from: MX793 on December 28, 2006, 03:18:02 PM
Nope.  The only domestic branded GM cars with manual gearboxes are the Aveo, Cobalt/G5, Ion, HHR, Solstice/Sky, Corvette and the Cadillac CTS.  Basically just economy cars and sports cars (and one sport-lux).
You can get the G6 with a manual.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

Quote from: Catman on December 28, 2006, 03:01:47 PM
find is annoying that magazines will praise an interior (Aura) and then put it down in a later test.  I've seen this with other mags too.  It seems like the hype of a new model blinds them to obvious shortcomings.

It's because most new cars look good viewed in isolation, but a comparison can expose the flaws.

MX793

Quote from: mazda6er on December 28, 2006, 03:21:16 PM
You can get the G6 with a manual.

Not anymore.  The 6MT that came in the GTP was dropped in favor of a 6AT with "manual shift mode" for '07.  Also, the GTP is now powered by GM's 3.6L DOHC instead of the 3.9L pushrod, which I suspect is one reason why the manual gearbox was dropped.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

VetteZ06

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on December 28, 2006, 02:19:11 PM
What were the prices of the cars?? I know you said 20k to 24k, but I just wondered how the Aura compared to the Accord in price.

Prices: Base/As-tested

Chrysler Sebring - $20,195/$22,785

Honda Accord SE - $21,420/$22,220

Kia Optima EX - $19,995/$22,695

Nissan Altima 2.5S - $20,915/$20,915

Saturn Aura XE - $20,595/$24,020

Toyota Camry LE - $20,400/$24,594

mazda6er

Quote from: MX793 on December 28, 2006, 03:29:42 PM
Not anymore.  The 6MT that came in the GTP was dropped in favor of a 6AT with "manual shift mode" for '07.  Also, the GTP is now powered by GM's 3.6L DOHC instead of the 3.9L pushrod, which I suspect is one reason why the manual gearbox was dropped.
That's shitty.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

eightballsidepocket

I know a lot of folks are probably surprised by the showing of the kia Optima, but actually the new Optima is a very nice car.  It's nothing like the one it replaced.  Kia didn't opt for the Sonata 3.3 liter V6, but went with the 2.7 V6 which has been upgraded substantially, and is not anything like the old Sonata 2.7 V6 at all.

I've read other magazine road tests of the Kia Optima, and I think it is in some ways a "sleeper", in that it is really making a good showing and impressing a lot of automotive testers and writers.  I'd say that Kia and Hyundai are to be watched closely.  I think they are catching up at hyper-speed with the other makes.  Even the Kia Sedona Van has scored very well against the other Mini Van makes too.

One surprise is that Camry didn't get 1st place as it did with MT.  I really am getting to the point where I think MT's car's and trucks of the year are just results of who is pumping the most advertising dollars towards MT's magazines.

I also noticed that the Mazda6 wasn't included in the test.  I know it's a little less roomy than the others, but it's still a competent vehicle.
Regards, Eightballsidepocket

Of Course I have An Agenda!
(Who Doesn't?)

"Nothing should be said anonymously behind a P.C., that can't be respectfully said in person"

VetteZ06

Quote from: eightballsidepocket on December 28, 2006, 03:39:25 PM
I also noticed that the Mazda6 wasn't included in the test.? I know it's a little less roomy than the others, but it's still a competent vehicle.

I think this was a test for recently redesigned (or completely new) cars that they hadn't pitted against each other before. The Sebring, Optima, Altima, and Camry have all been overhauled in the past year or so, the Aura is a brand new model, and they had to include the Accord since it's the perennial class benchmark. The 6 would've been a good addition, but it didn't exactly fit their criteria (not new, hasn't won a previous comparison test).

mazda6er

Quote from: VetteZ06 on December 28, 2006, 03:46:17 PM
I think this was a test for recently redesigned (or completely new) cars that they hadn't pitted against each other before. The Sebring, Optima, Altima, and Camry have all been overhauled in the past year or so, the Aura is a brand new model, and they had to include the Accord since it's the perennial class benchmark. The 6 would've been a good addition, but it didn't exactly fit their criteria (not new, hasn't won a previous comparison test).
I'm afraid it might have finished 4th or 5th.
--Mark

MX793

Quote from: eightballsidepocket on December 28, 2006, 03:39:25 PM

I also noticed that the Mazda6 wasn't included in the test.  I know it's a little less roomy than the others, but it's still a competent vehicle.

The Sonata and Ford Fusion are also missing. 

From the looks of it, I presume they only included cars that are either heavily revamped or all-new since their last family sedan comparo (Dec 05) plus the winner of the last comparo so that it might defend its crown (which is why the Accord is in the mix).
Needs more Jiggawatts

VetteZ06

Quote from: MX793 on December 28, 2006, 03:50:14 PM
From the looks of it, I presume they only included cars that are either heavily revamped or all-new since their last family sedan comparo (Dec 05) plus the winner of the last comparo so that it might defend its crown (which is why the Accord is in the mix).

Correct. That explains the absence of the Sonata and Fusion, since both lost out to the Accord last time.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: VetteZ06 on December 28, 2006, 03:33:09 PM
Prices: Base/As-tested

Chrysler Sebring - $20,195/$22,785

Honda Accord SE - $21,420/$22,220

Kia Optima EX - $19,995/$22,695

Nissan Altima 2.5S - $20,915/$20,915

Saturn Aura XE - $20,595/$24,020

Toyota Camry LE - $20,400/$24,594

I'm surprised the Aura was 2nd most expensive.  I thought GMs were usually dirt cheap.

I'd still take the Aura though, probably because it's the most European out of the six   :devil:  :lol:

To be honest, none of these cars look as good as the Fusion, Mazda6 or Passat (in my opinion of course).

ifcar

nickdrinkwater

Very surprised it wasn't higher then.  Too bad about the lack of manual.

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on December 28, 2006, 02:42:45 PM

They don't really need one in America, unfortunately.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

traumadog

Quote from: MX793 on December 28, 2006, 03:29:42 PM
Not anymore.? The 6MT that came in the GTP was dropped in favor of a 6AT with "manual shift mode" for '07.? Also, the GTP is now powered by GM's 3.6L DOHC instead of the 3.9L pushrod, which I suspect is one reason why the manual gearbox was dropped.

Actually, although the 3.9 got demoted to the "GT Sport Package" from the GTP, you can still order it with the M6 tranny, for now that is.  If GM follows typical GM history, the manual will not be offered past '07.
My Cardomain pages...
My 2004 VY/VZ Conversion (1 of < 889...)
My 1981 Eldorado Diesel <-- slower, but smokier
The wife's 2002 Trailblazer EXT

ifcar

I'm seeing it listed as "discontinued".

traumadog

Quote from: ifcar on December 28, 2006, 07:59:24 PM
I'm seeing it listed as "discontinued".

Which is funny, 'cause I just double-checked Pontiac's website, and it's still there under the "build your own" options.

Like this one... click, then scroll down to options.

Perhaps they killed it mid-year and didn't update the site.
My Cardomain pages...
My 2004 VY/VZ Conversion (1 of < 889...)
My 1981 Eldorado Diesel <-- slower, but smokier
The wife's 2002 Trailblazer EXT

MX793

Quote from: traumadog on December 28, 2006, 08:04:48 PM
Which is funny, 'cause I just double-checked Pontiac's website, and it's still there under the "build your own" options.

Oh yeah, I see it there.  I don't suspect it will be around beyond '07, though.
Needs more Jiggawatts

93JC

According to GM Canada the G6 GT "Performance Package" includes the 3900 V6 and the 6-speed manual. It's an option, only available on GT models, but it's still available.