Behind the wheel the new Dodge is a true Charger

Started by BMWDave, June 06, 2005, 11:19:50 AM

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

Run Away

I just saw one on my way home from work, in black. I quite like the front end.

giant_mtb

QuoteI just saw one on my way home from work, in black. I quite like the front end.
The front is nice...snarly-looking...sort of like the Viper.  But other then that the styling is subjectible.

280Z Turbo

That thing has got to feel confining with those tiny windows and tall doors. You could run over a midget and never see them coming! :o  

giant_mtb

It's probably as hard to see over the hood as it is in a 300.  Man is it hard to see over the hood of one of those...because the roof is so low and it feels confined like you can't get any higher to see over the monstrously long and tall hood...it's annoying!  :angry:  :rolleyes:  

280Z Turbo

Exactly, so not only are high beltlines ugly, they are dangerous too!

Toyota was smart when they designed the 2000 Tundra because they kept the beltline low and made it easy to park. It makes it feel smaller.

My dad's 1998 Dakota also has the high beltline look like the Charger, and it drives a lot bigger than what it is. It almost feels like a fullsize pickup and you feel disconnected from the road.

Sure the Charger is RWD and V8 powered, but it's ugly, heavy, auto only and it guzzles gas. Sorta like an SUV with a lot less room.

giant_mtb

Yeah...who in their right mind gives a Daytona R/T Charger a 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC?  Pitiful.  

TBR

QuoteYeah...who in their right mind gives a Daytona R/T Charger a 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC?  Pitiful.
The people that have managed to get more sales out of a large sedan and wagon duo than anyone would have ever expected. ;) Chrysler knows what they are doing.  

280Z Turbo

QuoteYeah...who in their right mind gives a Daytona R/T Charger a 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC?  Pitiful.
The people that have managed to get more sales out of a large sedan and wagon duo than anyone would have ever expected. ;) Chrysler knows what they are doing.
We can bitch and moan about lack of manuals, but we're the minority.

BMWDave

QuoteYeah...who in their right mind gives a Daytona R/T Charger a 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC?? Pitiful.
And we have to remember that...but still, I'm thinking, it wouldnt hurt Chrylser to put in a manual to satisfy the purists who are bitching about the lack of it.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteYeah...who in their right mind gives a Daytona R/T Charger a 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC?  Pitiful.
And we have to remember that...but still, I'm thinking, it wouldnt hurt Chrylser to put in a manual to satisfy the purists who are bitching about the lack of it.
How many purists would be looking at a 4,000 lb sedan anyway? Muscle car purists typically prefer autos  (more consistent results on the drag strip) and sports car purists prefer smaller, lighter cars. I don't think that lack of a manual will hurt this car one bit.

BMWDave

QuoteYeah...who in their right mind gives a Daytona R/T Charger a 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC?? Pitiful.
How many purists would be looking at a 4,000 lb sedan anyway? Muscle car purists typically prefer autos  (more consistent results on the drag strip) and sports car purists prefer smaller, lighter cars. I don't think that lack of a manual will hurt this car one bit.
I agree, but there are lots of people bitching about the fact that there isnt even a manual.  Putting one in would quiet them, even if they wouldnt buy it.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

I agree, but there are lots of people bitching about the fact that there isnt even a manual.  Putting one in would quiet them, even if they wouldnt buy it.
Including you ;) . What is the point of investing money into a manual tranny to stop people from complaining on internet message boards? It just wouldn't be cost effective.  

BMWDave

Including you ;) . What is the point of investing money into a manual tranny to stop people from complaining on internet message boards? It just wouldn't be cost effective.
I wasnt bitching about it, I was merely suggesting a way to calm those who DO bitch about it.  

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteYeah...who in their right mind gives a Daytona R/T Charger a 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC?  Pitiful.
If I remember correctly, the General Lee had a column shifted automatic.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

I wasnt bitching about it, I was merely suggesting a way to calm those who DO bitch about it.
If they had a manual (especially in the SRT-8) it would be on my short list.  On the top of my short list.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

My opinion is that they can keep the automatic standard, but at least give it a manual option at extra cost. (or maybe even for no charge)  I just think they need to give it the option of a manual, I don't care if they give it an auto as long as there's a manual option...but they failed to do so.

280Z Turbo

QuoteMy opinion is that they can keep the automatic standard, but at least give it a manual option at extra cost. (or maybe even for no charge)  I just think they need to give it the option of a manual, I don't care if they give it an auto as long as there's a manual option...but they failed to do so.
No, they really don't need to at all. We want them too, but they wouldn't really make much money off of it.

Go to a local car show and you'll have a hard time finding any H patterns on the shift levers. Muscle car people seem to like autos.

Besides, this is a family car.  

giant_mtb

TBR

QuoteBleh, whatever...just my opinion.  B)
What you buy this car if it was available with a manual?  

giant_mtb

QuoteBleh, whatever...just my opinion.  B)
:blink:  Do you mean "would" instead of "what"?  If so...yes I might consider buying it...but...I could spend thousands less, have the same amount of seats, and go much faster with an STi.  :rolleyes:  

mazda6er

QuoteBleh, whatever...just my opinion.? B)
:blink:  Do you mean "would" instead of "what"?  If so...yes I might consider buying it...but...I could spend thousands less, have the same amount of seats, and go much faster with an STi.  :rolleyes:
I don't know about thousands less...
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

mazda6er

Anyway, it is my understanding that Dodge wants the Charger (I read this somewhere) to compete with the Pontiac GTO and the Ford Mustang. How it would do that without a manual (not to mention 2 fewer doors) is beyond me.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteAnyway, it is my understanding that Dodge wants the Charger (I read this somewhere) to compete with the Pontiac GTO and the Ford Mustang. How it would do that without a manual (not to mention 2 fewer doors) is beyond me.
Impreza STi starts at 32, 445 thousand dollars.  The R/T starts at 29,995 dollars.  So you would be saving about 2K by going with the R/T.

2007 Honda S2000

850CSi

QuoteImpreza STi starts at 32, 445 thousand dollars.
32,445,000 !?

WHOA!  :lol:  

BMWDave

Although I should add that the Charger R/T Daytona starts at the same price as the STi.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

The Charger Daytona R/T (the one we're talking about) starts at 32,495.  ;)   So I was mistaken...but for the same price I can knock off almost a whole second to 60 mph with the STi and have much better handling and assurance in any weather...

For those reasons, I'd take an STi.

BMWDave

QuoteBleh, whatever...just my opinion.? B)
The Charger Daytona R/T (the one we're talking about) starts at 32,495.  ;)   So I was mistaken...but for the same price I can knock off almost a whole second to 60 mph with the STi and have much better handling and assurance in any weather...

The Charger is more practical since its bigger and can hold 5 people.  But yes, if I wanted those things, then I would pick the STi.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

The Charger is more practical since its bigger and can hold 5 people.  But yes, if I wanted those things, then I would pick the STi.
That is true, as well.  But I think if somebody wanted a people-hauler they wouldn't want a big HEMI V-8 Charger...if someone's looking for a people hauler they either look for fuel economy and/or space...albiet buying an SUV or van or mid-large sedan.  The Charger sort of fits into many categories...sports sedan, sedan, whatever... ^_^