My Subaru adventures

Started by the Teuton, December 29, 2006, 10:07:23 PM

Raghavan

Oh, i didn't think it was that cheap!
Sounds like a fun project. Just to clear something up though: the car IS getting a manual, right? :lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: Raghavan on March 29, 2007, 12:15:23 AM
Oh, i didn't think it was that cheap!
Sounds like a fun project. Just to clear something up though: the car IS getting a manual, right? :lol:

Three words:  long-term project.

I'm never planning on selling this car, so why not someday, right?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Sounds like everything is coming together for ya!  This is the kind of project car you will be able to take pride in someday, once it has a nice paint job. :ohyeah:

J86

I am so jealous.

We need to have a Subie cruise!

S204STi

Yeah, I'll be packing my bags.  Better be longer than two hours though if I'm coming from 1300miles away! :nono:

the Teuton

Okay, we have what, Wyoming, Maine, and Ohio/PA?  It could work.  :ohyeah:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

J86

rhode island/upstate NY.

Come to rhody in the summer!  Go cruise to the beach, then Ill take everyone out on the boat for drinks!

the Teuton

Quote from: J86 on March 29, 2007, 10:59:53 PM
rhode island/upstate NY.

Come to rhody in the summer!? Go cruise to the beach, then Ill take everyone out on the boat for drinks!

See, I always get your Bread Basket states confused.  I'm going to be swinging by there in May to pick up my brother from Bard, but other than that, it's a ways away  :( .  I might be going to NJ this summer, so I might be able to detour, but I don't know, unfortunately.

J86

Haha, where in NJ?  I'm gonna be down to Bayhead a coupla times, for sure.

the Teuton

Close to Hoboken-ish.  I forget, but about 20 miles from there is my Supra friend who just sold it just to buy an R33 Skyline GT-R.  I'm going to have to check that out.

the Teuton

UPDATE:? The smoke isn't going away, so the engine probably has a blown head gasket.? More work and to be continued.? Raghavan, whatever I said about a cheap project car, I take back.

Other than that, the car is about ready.? It just ran into what potentially may be the biggest, most upsetting kink in the road that could have happened.  I had nightmares about this last night.  I really did.

Oh well, it looks like I'm going to be paying out the ass on this one.

Raghavan

Sorry to hear that Teuton. Hopefully you can get it running smoothly soon. :rockon:

the Teuton

I have to call the mechanic tonight and discuss the issues and costs with him.  Wish me luck.

J86

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that.

Best of luck...let us know how it turns out.

the Teuton

I just got off the phone with the man who is working on my car.  He said that it's probably not the head gasket.  He's going to tinker around with it and fabricate a blockoff plate for the IAC and tinker around with it and see what makes it tick.  There's a very decent chance, according to him, that it might be done this weekend.  We shall see, but I find it convenient especially since I'll be able to come home and take pictures.

Yoder, if it does come home, I'll cordially invite you to see my car that has shoes too big for its feet.  It may look like a POS but it will go like stink, even though I'm refusing to drive it hard until all of the kinks are worked out.

Eye of the Tiger

I missed the part where you said you whether or not you had a turbo ready to put on it  :P

But really, that's a good project there. I wish I could say my car goes like stink, but it just stinks.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Oy, there's nothing worse than going through all that work just to have something like that happen. :banghead: :frown:

the Teuton

UPDATE:  PARDON MY FRENCH

So I just got off the phone with my mechanic again.  Just for everone's reference, anyone who tells you that the 1.8 to 2.5 swap is easy is a fucking liar.  I think my mechanic is the coolest guy on earth and I am surprised that he tolerates me.  He was getting the car done (no head gasket issue) and when he was checking on the car underneath it, the goddamn fucking piece of motherfucking shit caught on fire.  The converter apparently just lit up out of nowhere, so he got 4 buckets of water and stoked it before it caused any harm.

Needless to say, I'm done with the 2.5 liter engine.  I'm buying an EJ22 this next week and it should be ready in about a week from then.  I need my car, as school ends for me in 3 weeks, and I need it ASAP.  This is ridiculous, and I'm really surprised my mechanic hasn't just told me to pick up the car (well he has, but he gave me the other option, too).  It will run eventually.

ro51092

NOOOOOOOOOOOO. I really wanted to see the GC with an EJ25.

the Teuton

140 hp, while not 165, is still better than 110.  Plus, turbocharging still isn't out of the equation in the future.

the Teuton

On a plus note, if anyone here needs an EJ25 (the engine didn't physically catch on fire, just the converter) or EJ18 parts, I will have them for sale in no time.

Also, I got my 2.5 RS grille today, er, I mean, 2.2 RS.

J86

Wow, well, good thing he caught it before the whole car was immolated!

Raghavan

That sucks, man. Just buy a 2.5RS with  JDM WRX conversion instead. :lol:

the Teuton

Change of plans.  I'm getting word from the Subaru community that the fire could have been caused by oil on the catalytic converter.  That being said, I'm emailing the mechanic and called my dad (I'm back at college now) and I'm having him act as a sacrificial lamb for the sake of finding out how well my car runs.  If it was just oil, then I have a car.  If not, I'm thinking about having the mechanic take out the cat and weld straight pipes or definitely going for the swap.  Life sucks, but I'm looking at all options.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on April 07, 2007, 09:08:09 PM
UPDATE:  PARDON MY FRENCH

So I just got off the phone with my mechanic again.  Just for everone's reference, anyone who tells you that the 1.8 to 2.5 swap is easy is a fucking liar.  I think my mechanic is the coolest guy on earth and I am surprised that he tolerates me.  He was getting the car done (no head gasket issue) and when he was checking on the car underneath it, the goddamn fucking piece of motherfucking shit caught on fire.  The converter apparently just lit up out of nowhere, so he got 4 buckets of water and stoked it before it caused any harm.

Needless to say, I'm done with the 2.5 liter engine.  I'm buying an EJ22 this next week and it should be ready in about a week from then.  I need my car, as school ends for me in 3 weeks, and I need it ASAP.  This is ridiculous, and I'm really surprised my mechanic hasn't just told me to pick up the car (well he has, but he gave me the other option, too).  It will run eventually.

That sucks. But, uh...

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=stoke

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

Stoked water upon it.

Fine, I might have gone beyond my vernacular limits.  How about "put out."

Rupert

Yes, that is indeed what happened.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Let us know how your dad's test drive goes!  Hopefully you won't have to bail on the EJ25 yet.

the Teuton

I'm on the phone or emailing someone every day--a hell of a thing to do from college.  The EJ25 is officially a no-go.  I need a reliable car and I need it now (well, 3 weeks, actually).  I'm going to be selling the EJ25 with a new set of head gaskets and a new timing belt for what I paid for it.  Meanwhile, I'm searching for EJ22s, and reading about turbo accessibility.  If anyone has one near NE Ohio or Western PA, let me know.  But as for right now, I'm going to have a 137 hp car--still much better than 110.

It makes me sad, but it's still going to be about 400-600lbs. lighter than all of your Legacies and it will get the power it deserves eventually.  The mechanic is a good guy, and if he says the car is undriveable, I'm going to take his word for it.

S204STi

Well, I'm sure you've heard of the 22B STi... :rockon: