Ford Interceptor Concept.

Started by gasoline, December 30, 2006, 10:52:18 PM

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 02, 2007, 12:59:38 PM
The Explorer still has a 2sp t-case though.
What good is a two speed transfer case when you haven't got any ground clearance?

BRealistic

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 02, 2007, 01:55:54 PM
What good is a two speed transfer case when you haven't got any ground clearance?

I am curious- how much ground clearance does the Explorer have now? What does the most direct competition have?

And I would presume that very few people buy SUVS to go rock crawling. Most are for light use on unimproved roads and for the occasional deep snow. Oh- and for pulling a boat up a wet ramp.

SVT666

Quote from: BRealistic on January 02, 2007, 06:10:06 PM

I am curious- how much ground clearance does the Explorer have now? What does the most direct competition have?

And I would presume that very few people buy SUVS to go rock crawling. Most are for light use on unimproved roads and for the occasional deep snow. Oh- and for pulling a boat up a wet ramp.
Exactly, but I was responding to the guy who said the Explorer has off-roading credentials.  The Explorer has never been listed as having more then about 6.5" of ground clearance, however you have to remember that on trucks ground clearance is to the lowest point and on the Explorers with solid axles, the lowest point was the mounting point for the rear shocks which were about 6" inside the rear tires.  I can tell you from having lots of experience off roading (light offroading) with Explorers that the rear shock mounting point was never the problem.  The new Explorer looks to have all kinds of shit hanging below the body now.  A continuous clearance of say 8" is not as good as lots of 12" clearance with two points that are 6.5" off the ground right inside the rear tires.

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 02, 2007, 10:24:28 PM
Exactly, but I was responding to the guy who said the Explorer has off-roading credentials.  The Explorer has never been listed as having more then about 6.5" of ground clearance, however you have to remember that on trucks ground clearance is to the lowest point and on the Explorers with solid axles, the lowest point was the mounting point for the rear shocks which were about 6" inside the rear tires.  I can tell you from having lots of experience off roading (light offroading) with Explorers that the rear shock mounting point was never the problem.  The new Explorer looks to have all kinds of shit hanging below the body now.  A continuous clearance of say 8" is not as good as lots of 12" clearance with two points that are 6.5" off the ground right inside the rear tires.

Also, aren't the newer Explorers running independant front and rear suspension?  Not particularly good for rock-crawling.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CWW on January 06, 2007, 06:07:10 AM
Ford, please!

>> Interceptor Wagon <<

I love your chops CWW but this one looks way too boxy from the rear... almost like a hearse. :huh:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on January 06, 2007, 02:22:06 PM
Also, aren't the newer Explorers running independant front and rear suspension?? Not particularly good for rock-crawling.
I wouldn't rock crawl in an Explorer anyway.  But that suspension setup is not great for offroading period.

SVT666

Ford, please!

>> Interceptor Wagon <<
That's sweet man, but I think I would round off that top corner at the back to make the lines flow better.  Otherwise, it looks awesome.

gasoline

-----------------------------------

TheIntrepid

Thanks Gassy! Always appreciate the pics. :cheers:

Raghavan

It's a blinged out basement inside.

Raghavan

Quote from: MX793 on January 06, 2007, 02:22:06 PM
Also, aren't the newer Explorers running independant front and rear suspension? Not particularly good for rock-crawling.
I can't  believe MX793 made a spelling error!!!1!!!one!!1!
OMFG

S204STi

Good, because when the 300C flops Ford will look like fools if they have a lookalike

[Edit: sirry this was in response to a post last page from Rohan lol!]

MX793

Quote from: Raghavan on January 06, 2007, 06:39:30 PM
I can't  believe MX793 made a spelling error!!!1!!!one!!1!
OMFG

Eh, it happens.  It's surprising I don't make more since I really don't proof read and it seems like whenever I am typing up a letter or paper or something in MS Word, the spell check is always auto-correcting words.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Atomic

Quote from: ifcar on December 31, 2006, 10:37:24 AM
And the same roof shape. And it's in the same big, bold-styled, RWD V8 niche.

u r so right, iffy!

Raza

Wow, totally original.  It's a 300C with smaller windows!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

from all that i've read and heard firsthand from detroit, this concept is a design study only. i hope ford will take in consideration many of it's design cues when developing new vehicles.

if you like this concept, PLEASE write fmc and let them know. that's why they build concepts, eh?! you bet  :praise:

ro51092

Is that a manual transmission I see? :ohyeah:

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on January 09, 2007, 07:58:47 PM
Is that a manual transmission I see? :ohyeah:

Yes, it is.  But try taking a corner and you'd slide right out of those seats.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

Ford, please!

>> Interceptor Wagon <<
With a little more "Art & Science" that would make a wicked Caddy.  :rockon:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ro51092

Quote from: Raza  on January 09, 2007, 08:03:55 PM

:lol: :lol:

Raghavan

Quote from: MX793 on January 07, 2007, 10:51:17 AM
Eh, it happens. It's surprising I don't make more since I really don't proof read and it seems like whenever I am typing up a letter or paper or something in MS Word, the spell check is always auto-correcting words.
Eh, i'm just kidding man. ;)

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on January 09, 2007, 08:03:55 PM

Not with the 5 point harnesses the show car has.

And while people see 300C in it, the fact is, ALL the american companies made cars like this all over the '50s, '60s, and '70s. Now, only one does. High time they return to it.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

FoMoJo

The Interceptor is, of course, a minor evolution of the Ford 427 concept introduced in '03

The general appearance of both came from the Ford 49 concept introduced in '01

...which was based on the '49-'51 "shoebox" Fords...as shown by ChrisV.

If you look at some examples of "chopped" '49s thru '51s, you can see where this look came from...

They're, generally, referred to as "Leadsleds".

I've always liked to look of the "Leadsled" Mercs' from that era...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

The Ford Forty Nine rules.  Shame on Ford for never building it. :nono:

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on January 10, 2007, 09:09:01 AM
Not with the 5 point harnesses the show car has.

Yeah, but still, you need some bolstering.  It's like a park bench.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

So you think the car is going to be designed for Laguna Seca? Or more for cops to get in and out of fast?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

TheIntrepid

I don't care WHO or WHAT it's designed for... if I saw one of these in my rear-view mirror, I'm moving the hell over to the right lane.