Worst Accidents

Started by TheIntrepid, January 02, 2007, 08:45:45 AM

TheIntrepid

So SPINners... what's the worst accident you've gotten into in all your years of driving?

I've only been driving for about 2 years so I've only had one accident. I was stopped at a red light, right beside where a right-turn lane was opening. A white Dodge Avenger is behind me, flickers his lights to request me to move up a bit so he could squeeze into the right-turn lane. I move up a bit, he tries to be a smartass and floors it into the right-turn lane, nudging my back bumper hard enough to push me into the Mazda MPV van in front of me.

I immediately put on my hazards and put the car out of gear... as did the Mazda. The Mexican guy in the Mazda gets out, walks past me to the f*ck punk kid in the Avenger and starts bitching at him. After getting all his information, he walks up to me, says "are you okay son?" When I said "yes thank you".. he gets in and drives off.

Damage:
Front license plate bracket cracked [The thing's worth like $9 so I haven't bothered to fix it]
Rear bumper cracked [replaced]

Share your stories!  :ohyeah:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

93JC

Nudged a Subaru Legacy in a parking lot. Scuffed the paint.

southdiver1

Ho boy...
ok...
The worst. I was 19 years old and I had a 1967 Mustang soft top.
I was headed westbound on a 4 lane road approching the green light. I noticed a motorcycle cop approching the same intersection but headed towards me in the eastbound lane. Suddenly I see him nail the brakes and start to get a bit sideways. I was in the intersection when I got HAMMERED on the drivers side just behind the door. It was an early 80s For Bronco. (full size). The impact spun me in a NW direction with him still pushing me. I hit the curm on the NW corner sideways and it brought me over on my roof. He ran over the back of my now upside worn car and slammed into a utility box.
The funny thing was, after my car stopped, I can remember very calmly reaching over and turning off my radio. I unbuckled my lap belt and fell onto my roof. I was still pretty calm until I smelled smoke. It was only oil smoking off the engine but I didn't know that.
PANIC!!!
I tried to punch my way out the windshield when the motorcycle cop (the one that almost got hit by the same truck) grabbed my feet and pulled me out of the passanger side window.
He asked if I was ok and I told him yes.
He then walked over to the Bronco as the driver was trying to get it restarted. He grapped the guy by either the head or the face and dragged him out of the window. Cuffed him and sat him down next to another car.
My worst injury was some scratches from being dragged from my car and muscle soreness the next day.
The Mustang was destroyed.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

heelntoe

pfft those stories are pathetic. here's one of mine, i've got plenty more(i've been criving for two years):
i dropped my sister to school one morning(i dont know why, it is a five minute walk) as i was comming back, there was a guy on the side of the road who looked like he wanted to cross so i slowed down,the guy signals me to go continue so i give it some gas to try to get past him. he walked onto the road just as i was nearing him and i managed to brake enough that he doesnt get really hurt, i got a bruised ankle and a bruised knee along with a lot of road rash he didnt have any visible injuries. a crowd soon gathered(in india it is always assumed that the fault is of the person with the bigger vehicle) that would have been a nasty situation to be in if it hadnt been for the few witnesses who came to my defence. my bike had a broken side mirror and a bent guart that i still did not fix.
@heelntoe

JYODER240

I've been driving for 4 years and i'm still accident free.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

heelntoe

to top it off, that guy was drunk too.
@heelntoe

GoCougs

I was on a major freeway in stop-n-go traffic. As is typical here, the HOV lane (far leftlane) was empty, while the other four lanes where stop-n-go. As luck would have it, I had a passenger with me. I had just gotten onto the freeway, and it took me about 10 minutes to get over to the lane next to the HOV lane.

By the time I was ready to merge, it was dusk, rainy, and on a curve. I was pretty high up (Dodge Ramcharger) and tried for a little while to confirm that the lane was clear. Sure enough, I think the coast is clear, and I just get my front end into the HOV lane, and wham! A Taurus at 60mph hits me on the left front corner; left fender, wheel and bumper take the brunt. He bounces of me and ricochets off the median barrier and then off a couple more cars in front of me. I am pushed into the car in front of me which causes a chain reaction reaching two cars in front.

There's no left hand shoulder on this freeway, so now we have five or so cars stopped in the two left hand lanes trying to figure out what to do. Oh, and to greatly complicate the situation, the driver of the Taurus didn't speak English. A few people passing the scene yelled various insults as to additional traffic problems. State Patrol shows up after a while, and they stop all five lanes of traffic to let involved parties limp to the far right of the freeway where there is a shoulder. What a mess that was.

Luckily, everyone was okay. It was also luck I was driving a slow vehicle at the time. If I was able to get into the HOV lane further, and had the Taurus hit me square in the rear, it would have been a serious accident. Or had it been a bus rather it would have also been a problem. They are now starting to segregate the HOV lanes as this scenario is a common one. Having traffic moving at freeway speeds right next to stop-n-go traffic is a recipe for disaster. Big problems also arise from people getting out of the HOV lane to hit an exit (as most are on right hand side) as some will hit the brakes hard to try to catch a gap in the stop-n-go traffic.

Eye of the Tiger

The worst accident I've been in really wasn't that bad....

Well, this one day I drove my '79 LeMans (wit a tree-fiddy!) to the DMV. I waited for the minimum required time of 20 minutes before making it to the counter, only to find out I had to go downtown to the tax office to pay some property tax which I was supposed to be exempt from. I came out of there all kinds of pissed off because it was going on 4:30pm and there was no way I was going to be able to make it downtown (so they could tell me I'm exempt from the tax) and be back to the DMV by 5.

I really don't get angry very often, so when I do, I kinda lose it. As I was pulling out of the DMV parking lot onto the road, I had the uncontrollable urge to just plant my right foot. So the rear end of the car swung out 180 degrees, pointing me right into the ditch adjacent to the main road (looking back on it, one of my rear tires was in a small puddle, which caused the unexpected snap oversteer). Since I already had some momentum built up, I figured I might as well keep on the throttle and see if I can jump it, and if not, I might get to feel what an actual collision might be like at about 15mph. It was a $500 car anyway.

So the front end of the car hit the opposite side of the ditch, and the rear bumper got stuck on the other side. I got out, sat on the trunk and had a cigarette, waving at people who slowed down to check out my predicament, watching cop cars pass by like I'm not even there. So I walked into the DMV and used their payphone to call a tow truck to drag me out. No real damage to the car either.

That's not even as interesting as the time I drove that car over a washer and dryer... except that was on purpose because I was a little drunk.

Other than that, I've had close calls, but so far I've managed to avoid real accidents.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

When I was in 5th grade I was on a roadtrip with my mom and we rolled our Sunbird 2 and a half times on the interstate. Thank god for seatbelts.

The only accident I've been responsible for happened a couple months after I got my license. I volunteered to help with a Hershey tack meet, and as I was pulling into my parking spot, I misjudged how much room I had and bumped into a green minivan. I put a fist-sized dent in it's right rear flank.

Interstingly enough, after the accident, I became friends with the girl whose car I ran into. If it wasn't for the mishap, I never would of had a reason to talk to her.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

etypeJohn

I've never been in a really serious accident.  The closest I came was in the summer of 1970. 

I'm driving a 66 Dodge Charger eastbound on I44 at about 70 MPH.  I move to the left lane to pass a car doing about 65 MPH as we are side by side the car I'm passing just slides into my lane and we touch side to side.  I stay in my lane while he overcorrects, leaves the road on the right, flies up an embankment and overturns.  I pull over to the shoulder while several drivers who saw the accident stop to see if they can render aid.  Soon a Missouri Highway Patrolman stops.   Amazingly no one is injured.  The right side of my car is flattened as if I took a steam iron to it.  The other car is totaled.  The driver was ticketed and he and his two passengers were taken into custody.  Just that morning the driver had gone to Oklahoma to pick up his two friends who had just finished serving their time at the OK State Pen.  All were drunk when he hit me.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Tave on January 02, 2007, 10:52:11 AM

Interstingly enough, after the accident, I became friends with the girl whose car I ran into. If it wasn't for the mishap, I never would of had a reason to talk to her.

So is she hot? ;)

Tave

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 02, 2007, 02:43:34 PM
So is she hot? ;)

She's a'ight. From the Phillippians, so she's got the exotic look going for her.

She was going to school at either George Washington or Georgetown in DC. I partied with her and her boyfriend and another couple last New Year's Eve. It was a fun time.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

SVT666

I was in a head-on collision when I was 12 which was pretty bad.  The worst one I had where I was the driver was when I was 1 week away from my 17th birthday and I rolled my parents' Ford Explorer at 100 km/h (62 mph).  That was really bad.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 02, 2007, 03:58:22 PM
I was in a head-on collision when I was 12 which was pretty bad.  The worst one I had where I was the driver was when I was 1 week away from my 17th birthday and I rolled my parents' Ford Explorer at 100 km/h (62 mph).  That was really bad.

How old are you Hemi, if you don't mind me asking?

chevyguy06

Me driving:Backed into a Firebird in the 04' Silverado leaving a 3 inch wide dent.
Riding:Waiting to turn into a driveway in our 03' F-150 (traded in on the Silverado), a 94-98' Mustang slammed into our rear bumper,tearing the front fascia off but only leaving a scrape on our tow hitch.
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

ifcar

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 02, 2007, 04:46:47 PM
How old are you Hemi, if you don't mind me asking?

It's in his profile.  ;)

chevyguy06

Off-topic, but ifcar isn't it about time for another comparo??
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

ifcar

Yes. I've been very busy, and the one that was about to go up was delayed by the sooner-than-expected introduction of the Versa sedan. Next will either be economy sedans or inexpensive family sedans, and hopefully within a week or two.

TurboDan

Quote from: ifcar on January 02, 2007, 06:56:56 PM
Yes. I've been very busy, and the one that was about to go up was delayed by the sooner-than-expected introduction of the Versa sedan. Next will either be economy sedans or inexpensive family sedans, and hopefully within a week or two.

That'll be great for the blog!

ifcar

You wouldn't count that as spam?

SaltyDog

No accidents, but a few close calls.  It's my theory that close calls are much, much more common than actual accidents.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

mazda6er

In a previous life I was a lumberjack. I saw a utility pole one day, thought to myself, "boy, that son of a bitch sure looks juicy", chopped it down with my Mazda. $9,800 later that bastard was still standing and I had a new radiator. To this day I keep a change of underwear in the trunk.  Sure was an expensive radiator.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

mazda6er

Quote from: SaltyDog on January 03, 2007, 03:42:47 PM
No accidents, but a few close calls.  It's my theory that close calls are much, much more common than actual accidents.
That was my parents' theory on a nice November night 20 years ago, and look where it got them.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SaltyDog

Quote from: Tave on January 02, 2007, 10:52:11 AM

Someone out there has to be desperate enough to try that.  It'd make for a good bragging story too: "I rear-ended a hot blonde the other day"

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

heelntoe

Quote from: SaltyDog on January 03, 2007, 03:42:47 PM
absolutely correct, there are some days when it seems everyone is out to get you.
i had a really close call today. i was comming out of a small two lane road to another wider road and there is a 90 degree turn onto the main road. there was a car comming from the opposite side with enough distance for me to get in so i braked for the turn when my front wheel locked sending me sliding towards the car luckily, i let of the brake and used the back brake. at that speed, nothing major would have happened but it would have been a PITA(literally).
@heelntoe

Tave

Quote from: SaltyDog on January 03, 2007, 03:45:33 PM
Someone out there has to be desperate enough to try that.? It'd make for a good bragging story too: "I rear-ended a hot blonde the other day"

Ahahaha :lol:

I always look around when I'm driving to see if any hot chicks are out. Right now I'm picturing seeing one, taking a deep breath, gripping the wheel tightly, and then BAM! Then jumping out of the car, "I'm so sorry. Are you all right. Is there anyway I can make it up to you? We better exchange phone numbers."

Can't you just imagine that conversation:

-Hello, is Kate there?

-This is her.

-Hi Kate, this is Tim, I was wondering I'f you'd like to get together sometime this weekend?

-Tim? Tim who? I don't know any Tim.

-Oh, you know, we met a couple weeks ago...

-Um...

-On seventeenth and Broadway

-What?...oh yeah, do you need some information for you insurance?

-Um, no. I just thought we might hook up, you know, grap a cup of coffee...Hello?...Kate? Are you there?

The Pirate

:lol: :lol:

With the right girl, it could work beautifully.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TheIntrepid

Wow... I can see that happening. :lol: That's a good idea actually ... except insurance could rape you up the ass.

850CSi

I was 17, heading north on I-294 in my A4. I was changing lanes but I checked my blindspot too late and cut back. I was an inexperienced driver and swerved too fast out of control and started spinning - bad tires didn't help either. It's a miracle I didn't hit anyone else. I slammed into the median. The airbags didn't go off and I wasn't hurt, but the car was a different story. The engine had shifted, and eventually, nearly everything forward of the front axle was replaced. The car was nearly totalled. I got it back and it served me well until the 3er arrived. I haven't even been pulled over yet in the 3er, and the biggest 'accident' is a dent someone left on my passenger door.  :banghead:

SVT_Power

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 02, 2007, 03:58:22 PM

I'm about a month away from my 17th. Maybe I'll roll my parents' explorer as well :devil:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna