Official 2008 Lexus IS-F Pictures

Started by Car Zeus, January 08, 2007, 07:36:23 AM

Car Zeus

The speculation and hearsay is finally over. Lexus, having failed to match the basic BMW 3-series with the IS, is going straight for the big dog M3 with its new IS-F. Under the massively bulged hood you see here is a 5.0-liter beast of a V-8 engine putting out over 400 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque. Behind big nineteen-inch BBS front wheels lie six-pot aluminum Brembo calipers--the first ever with "Lexus" written across them--squeezing down on 14.2-inch perforated discs that hope to also clamp down on the lips of Lexus-doubters.

The IS-F borrows its far-beyond-necessity eight-speed transmission from the LS, but unlike in the LS, gearbox can be controlled via wheel-mounted paddles. Lexus claims that upshifts are popped off in a tenth of a second, and downshifts are met with automated blips of the throttle to match engine revs.

The IS-F rides up to an inch lower than other IS models, and is wider overall thanks to flared wheel surrounds and ridiculous brake vents behind the front wheels. At the rear, the IS-F is distinguished by unique, stacked quad exhaust outlets. Aluminum trim and sport seats--finished in black or white leather--define the interior, along with a special button for a new three-mode version of VDIM, Lexus's stability control system. Like similar systems from BMW and Cadillac, the driver can chose from a full-on stability mode, a sport mode that allows for some hoonery, and a full off mode that opens the flood gate for full drift action.

And full-on drifts won't be a problem with all that power. Lexus estimates a 0-60 mph time of less than 4.9 seconds for the IS-F, which is the first Lexus "F" cars. "F" will be the designation for sporty Lexus cars, much like "M" is to BMW, "AMG" to Mercedes, and "S" and "RS" are to Audi.

Lexus general manager Bob Carter says that "the intent of creating the IS-F was not to be a competitor to other performance-sport sedans. Rather, the goal was to create a true performance sedan in a uniquely Lexus way-one that is totally authentic with a unique interpretation of raw driving thrill at all speeds and provides a whole new definition of 'usable power.'" We hope that this unique interpretation is something brand new, because the Lexus experience we think of leans toward the numb, soulless side of the scale. With the debut of the IS-F, the task of creating a real performer appears to be complete for Lexus engineers. But now the real test begins. Can the fusing of the words "Lexus" and "performance" capture the hearts of the enthusiasts who matter? We'll find out when the IS-F arrives at dealerships in early 2008.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raghavan

I dont' know if i like that vent thingy just behind the front wheel.
And it's still an automatic. :nono:

nickdrinkwater

Don't like the car especially but I love the colour!

VetteZ06

The side profile shot is horrible. The bulbous hood is the biggest offender. Not a fan of the body kit, either.

I really, really like the standard IS's exterior styling - one of my favorite designs in the entry level class. They've screwed it up here, however.

SJ_GTI

:confused:

Um, wow.

Design

I am actually a fan of the regular IS (favorite Japanese sport sedan, and really not so far off the 3-series or A4 IMHO), but this looks horrible.

Mechanicals

Automatic only? Yeah, give me a RS4 or even the current M3 over this.

Raza

Ugh.  It looks worse than the standard IS. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

red_shift

I actually like the looks of the IS-F. More aggressive than the IS.

Now, what I don't like is the automatic transmission.

Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

JYODER240

This along with the 350 would be a pretty good car with a 6-speed manual.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

gasoline

Nice color I guess.

-----------------------------------

TheIntrepid

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 08, 2007, 12:24:10 PM
The colour's great. Car's not that great.

You just said you would buy one.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

Hmm I need to look at the pictures before I do the following:

Reads:
"Lexus IS"

Types:
"I WANT ONE"

:huh: I have a bizarre attraction to the new-generation IS. This thing... not so much. In Gas's second set of pictures, the car looks okay, but in the first set it just looks awkward and bulgy.

giant_mtb

Yup.  Two threads.  One car.  I like the new concept.

ChrisV

So many kids think that automatics somehow always slow the car down, are ALWAYS less fun, and ALWAYS ruin a performance car. I wish I still had my V8 RX7 to give rides to people to show that that's not necessarily the case.

And hell, most of us would have a ton of fun driving those 40+ mph indoor karts that have NO shifters... Fun has almost nothing to do with shifting. I want you to come ride with me in my BMW and poiint out where I'm not having any fun while driving... or point out where, in my Fiat, the shifting MAKES it fun...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ChrisV on January 08, 2007, 01:15:35 PM
So many kids think that automatics somehow always slow the car down, are ALWAYS less fun, and ALWAYS ruin a performance car. I wish I still had my V8 RX7 to give rides to people to show that that's not necessarily the case.

And hell, most of us would have a ton of fun driving those 40+ mph indoor karts that have NO shifters... Fun has almost nothing to do with shifting. I want you to come ride with me in my BMW and poiint out where I'm not having any fun while driving... or point out where, in my Fiat, the shifting MAKES it fun...

Hi Chris,

I know you old fogies like a car that shifts for you (makes it easier to nap while you drive), but us real enthusiasts like to shift for ourselves.

Thanks,
SJ_GTI

:lol: :evildude: :lol:

In all seriousness, the M5 was constantly lambasted for its 7-speed true SMG, and its in a group of cars where literally no other competitor had a manual. BMW, understanding its a car for enthusiasts, now offers a 6-speed manual. The IS is going against a field of cars that are mostly manuals (M3, S/RS4, upcoming GTR, CTS-V, etc...). Even though it doesn't always mean more performance, a lot of people prefer manual gearboxes, and almost all of those people are car enthusiasts. The IS-F is, in theory, a car for enthusiasts. By not offering a feature that is typically damnded by enthusiasts, Lexus is setting its car up to look like a "poseur" in the segment.

I am sure it will be fast (just like the IS350), but I would bet it can look forward to losing practically every head to head comparison in the upcoming few years.

GoCougs

The goal is not win comparos or build cars for enthusiasts.

The goal is to maximize profit by selling cars.

The new IS will do about 60,000 units this year, up from about 18,000 last year.

How many have been MTs? Not many; 3% is my guess. How many sales lost because of no MT with the big engine? Hard to say; though I'd say even less.

The Pirate

Chris, you make some valid points, and perhaps I will change my mind somewhere down the road, but the manual tranny is what makes my car fun for me.

It's not fast, it doesn't handle particularly well (this will change with some bigger wheels, H&R springs and new dampers this summer), and it's slow (did I say that already :lol:).  What it has going for it, IMO, is I can row my own.

SJ_GTI brings up a good point too, even if the car has less performance with the manual, I'd still rather have it, as that is what makes it fun for me.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on January 08, 2007, 01:29:18 PM
The goal is not win comparos or build cars for enthusiasts.

The goal is to maximize profit by selling cars.

The new IS will do about 60,000 units this year, up from about 18,000 last year.

How many have been MTs? Not many; 3% is my guess. How many sales lost because of no MT with the big engine? Hard to say; though I'd say even less.

:huh:

This isn't a mass-market car.

ChrisV

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 08, 2007, 01:23:38 PM
Hi Chris,

I know you old fogies like a car that shifts for you (makes it easier to nap while you drive), but us real enthusiasts like to shift for ourselves.

Thanks,
SJ_GTI

:lol: :evildude: :lol:

No, actually us old fogeys like cars that go fucking fast and don't give a shit whether we are doing every scrap of work in driving. I find that steering, accelleratiing, and braking are the bulk of driving. Moving a clutch pedal is just incidental bullshit, for the most part. It does NOT make you a better driver. Nor does it stop you from choosing the gear for yourself.

This is a serious pet peeeve of mine. Most people insulting a car for not having a manual simply have no clue. That's MY opinion, and I'm free to state it. :lol: :evildude:

QuoteIn all seriousness, the M5 was constantly lambasted for its 7-speed true SMG, and its in a group of cars where literally no other competitor had a manual. BMW, understanding its a car for enthusiasts, now offers a 6-speed manual. The IS is going against a field of cars that are mostly manuals (M3, S/RS4, upcoming GTR, CTS-V, etc...). Even though it doesn't always mean more performance, a lot of people prefer manual gearboxes, and almost all of those people are car enthusiasts.

No, most all those people are norrowminded clowns that have no problem having the car think for them in every other area, including braking and yaw control, but think that moving a third pedal puts them in control of the car. It's, at best, uninformed.

You can prefer a good manual. I do. But you all cream over my purchase of the BMW as a sport sedan, and yet insult this car for having a better transmission. And insulting the car for that is simply idiotic. I don't really care for the car, overall, but this line of reasoning sets my hackles up, as it shows the people making the comments to be inexperienced, and only partial "enthusiasts."

Car Zeus

I like it. Very BOLD looking and it's different looking than most cars on the road.

Lexus is finally getting it.

I'd hate to see the sports car they are coming out with.

The Pirate

I rather like the stacked exhaust pipes.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ChrisV

Quote from: The Pirate on January 08, 2007, 01:32:05 PM
Chris, you make some valid points, and perhaps I will change my mind somewhere down the road, but the manual tranny is what makes my car fun for me.

I'm simply asking people to prove it. And prove it on my Fiat. And show where, driving it daily, it adds ANY fun. Or where the BMW is not fun in daily driving because it has an automatic.

QuoteIt's not fast, it doesn't handle particularly well (this will change with some bigger wheels, H&R springs and new dampers this summer), and it's slow (did I say that already :lol:).  What it has going for it, IMO, is I can row my own.

Do you even notice your shifts 90% of the time? Or do you, like most drivers that have been driving for more than a week, simply do it out of habit? Do you go "look, I shifted! Look, I did it again!" every, or even a significant portion of the time you shift? I stopped saying that decades ago. So how does somethig you don't even notice 90% of the time add any fun? Maybe we simply have different definitions of "fun" in a car. I define it as g forces, side loads, cornering speeds, stering response, and mostly speed (or the feel of it). pushing the clutch pedal is WAY down the list of things that make a car "fun."

If I wanted to, I could shift my V8 RX7 with the AOD automatic when I wanted to, to the gear I wanted, and it would go there instantly. If I didn't want to, I could jus tleave it in drive. When I was autocrossing, one foot was on the brake, one on the gas, one hand on the wheel and one going from wheel to shifter, Very fast. How is that worse than what you do?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/rex1.MPG

Prove that car WASN'T fun.

GoCougs

Manual trannies do it for me without question. The inefficient nature of traditional ATs bothers me a bit. And I don't think I've ever met an AT worth a hoot from a kickdown perspective; even the heralded TH400 or TF727.

CVTs, now those are a different matter. Those are just plain cool. Will be a little while I surmise before they factor in adjustable engine braking for performance applications...

The Pirate

Quote from: ChrisV on January 08, 2007, 01:55:46 PM
I'm asking people to prove it. And prove it on my Fiat. Ands show wheere, driving it daily, it adds ANY fun.

Do you even notice your shifts 90% of the time? Or do you, like most drivers that have been driving for more than a week, simpoly do it out of habit? Do you go "look, I shifted! Look, I did it again!" every, or even a significant portion of the time you shift? I stopped saying that decades ago.

If I wanted to, I could shift my V8 RX7 with the AOD automatic when I wanted to , to the gear I wanted, and it would go there instantly. If I didn't want to, I could jus tleave it in drive. When I was autocrossing, one foot was on the brake, one on the gas, one hand on the wheel and one going from wheel to shifter, Very fast. How is that worse than what you do?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/rex1.MPG

Prove that car WASN'T fun.

I'm not saying that automatic equipped cars aren't fun, because they certainly are.  My first car was a supercharged Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, and it was one of the most fun cars I've owned.  It was actually a decent handler for what it was too.

I don't think about shifting every time I get in my car and drive, but when I'm on a winding back, heel and toeing and the like are something I'm certainly conscious of, and actively enjoy.

I'm not trying to prove to anybody that manual transmissions are superior to automatics, because in some automotive applications, they aren't.  It's merely a personal preference that I choose to have my only car equipped that way.  I'm sure somewhere down the road I'll buy an automatic (hopefully an E38, much like yours) and I will enjoy it.

I'm sure the RX7 was a ton of fun, and if I had the opportunity to buy or build a 302 RX7 with an automatic, I wouldn't pass it up.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: The Pirate on January 08, 2007, 02:07:02 PM
My first car was a supercharged Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, and it was one of the most fun cars I've owned.

Jamal if I may ask, what circumstances took you from an SSEi and put you into a Civic?