Chrysler to get a Durango clone for 07

Started by ifcar, June 07, 2005, 07:29:03 AM

ifcar

Chrysler Adding Durango-Based Ute

A new luxury SUV will appear in Chrysler showrooms within the next year, the Detroit News says. As TCC reported last year, Chrysler will get a version of the Durango seven-passenger SUV to sell. The new vehicle will get some upscale details, the News reports, but major changes to the Durango basics aren't in the plan for the vehicle. The paper adds Chrysler will resurrect a name from its vault for the new SUV and will build it alongside the Durango in Newark, Del.  

giant_mtb

So...they're going to make a bunch more Durangos and give it a Chrysler badge with only slight additions/modifications?  I don't think Chrysler needs that... <_<  

ifcar

QuoteSo...they're going to make a bunch more Durangos and give it a Chrysler badge with only slight additions/modifications?  I don't think Chrysler needs that... <_<
I'll do a 'chop of it sometime today. If nothing more, it will almost certainly look more attractive than the Durango.

giant_mtb

QuoteSo...they're going to make a bunch more Durangos and give it a Chrysler badge with only slight additions/modifications?  I don't think Chrysler needs that... <_<
I'll do a 'chop of it sometime today. If nothing more, it will almost certainly look more attractive than the Durango.
Most likely...it'll probably be as major of a makeover as the Lincoln Mark LT was from the F-150...  But I'm sure the Chrysler clone would have a much nicer interior as well.  But I just don't think it's necessary.

TBR

QuoteSo...they're going to make a bunch more Durangos and give it a Chrysler badge with only slight additions/modifications?  I don't think Chrysler needs that... <_<
I don't think it  would be harmful at all, generally I am not a fan of rebadges, but the Durango is a good enough vehicle that it wouldn't be a problem, plus the large luxury suv market pretty much has the highest profit margins out there.  

giant_mtb

QuoteSo...they're going to make a bunch more Durangos and give it a Chrysler badge with only slight additions/modifications?  I don't think Chrysler needs that... <_<
I don't think it  would be harmful at all, generally I am not a fan of rebadges, but the Durango is a good enough vehicle that it wouldn't be a problem, plus the large luxury suv market pretty much has the highest profit margins out there.
But will it be able to compete with the Navigator and Escalade and Land Rovers and whatever other luxury SUV's there are?  

TBR

But will it be able to compete with the Navigator and Escalade and Land Rovers and whatever other luxury SUV's there are?
It will certainly compete fine with the Escalade and Navigator since they are rebadges of vehicles that aren't as good. And, it won't really compete with any Land Rovers.

giant_mtb

It will certainly compete fine with the Escalade and Navigator since they are rebadges of vehicles that aren't as good. And, it won't really compete with any Land Rovers.
Oh...good point.  Yeah...I guess the Land Rover's a little out of the price range and it's not really the same "class".

ifcar

I don't think they'd price it that high. The Durango is the least-expensive fullsize SUV IIRC, so this would probably just be a premium version for $3K-$5K more, maybe with some additional features, not a $50K Escalade competitor.

giant_mtb

I don't think they'd price it that high. The Durango is the least-expensive fullsize SUV IIRC, so this would probably just be a premium version for $3K-$5K more, maybe with some additional features, not a $50K Escalade competitor.
How much does the Durango cost?  What the heck's IIRC?!  :blink:  :P  

ifcar

How much does the Durango cost?  What the heck's IIRC?!  :blink:  :P
IIRC- if I recall.

Anyway, the Durango V8 (4.7) starts at $30k sticker with AWD, $27k for the 2WD V6.

giant_mtb

Well then my guess is the Chrysler Durango (don't know what else to call it) will be 35K for the "base" and 38+ thousand for the high-end.

ifcar

QuoteWell then my guess is the Chrysler Durango (don't know what else to call it) will be 35K for the "base" and 38+ thousand for the high-end.
Sounds reasonable. And not close to Escalade/Navigator territory.

giant_mtb

QuoteWell then my guess is the Chrysler Durango (don't know what else to call it) will be 35K for the "base" and 38+ thousand for the high-end.
So does this mean a Luxury SUV for the masses?!  :o  :rockon:  (or...somewhat for the masses...35K is steep for most)

ifcar

So does this mean a Luxury SUV for the masses?!  :o  :rockon:  (or...somewhat for the masses...35K is steep for most)
$35k is not atypical for a full-size SUV. The base MSRP for a 4WD Sequioa is above that.

TBR

I wouldn't call it a luxury suv for the masses as masses of people unload 40k+ on Tahoes, Expeditions, Sequioa, Armandas, Suburbans, and even Durangos each year. You can spend $57,000 on a "mainstream" Yukon 2500.

ifcar

I wouldn't call it a luxury suv for the masses as masses of people unload 40k+ on Tahoes, Expeditions, Sequioa, Armandas, Suburbans, and even Durangos each year. You can spend $57,000 on a "mainstream" Yukon 2500.
Or at least they unload a portion of that every month.

93JC

Quote from: giant_mtb,Jun 7 2005, 11:00 AM
Quote from: ifcar,Jun 7 2005, 10:59 AM
What the heck's IIRC?!  :blink:  :P

IIRC- if I recall.
If
I
Recall
C.... ?

:lol:

If
I
Remember
Correctly

:praise:  

ifcar

Quote from: ifcar,Jun 7 2005, 11:04 AM
Quote from: giant_mtb,Jun 7 2005, 11:00 AM
Quote from: ifcar,Jun 7 2005, 10:59 AM
What the heck's IIRC?!  :blink:  :P

IIRC- if I recall.
If
I
Recall
C.... ?

:lol:

If
I
Remember
Correctly

:praise:
Then someone explained it to me wrong on C/D as If I ReCall. :angry:  

93JC

'Could be

If
I
Recall
Correctly

if you want. The 'correctly' part has to be there, though. You might recall the Durango being the least expensive full-size SUV, but you might be totolly wrong ("recalling incorrectly"). :lol:  

ifcar

Quote'Could be

If
I
Recall
Correctly

if you want. The 'correctly' part has to be there, though. You might recall the Durango being the least expensive full-size SUV, but you might be totolly wrong ("recalling incorrectly"). :lol:
Doesn't matter, I remembered correctly. :praise:  

ifcar

Just released: this model will be called the Aspen.  

R33 GT-R

QuoteJust released: this model will be called the Aspen.
What a name, I vote for calling it the Dobie.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!