India?s Mahindra to Enter U.S. Market

Started by SaltyDog, January 10, 2007, 02:07:34 PM

93JC

Well... them's the facts. Call me racist, xenophobic or what have you, but I've never owned a product from India that wasn't cheap junk.

ifcar

I hear you there. I once had a T-shirt made in the US, and the color faded quickly. American cars must all be crap.

heelntoe

i'm not denying that there are shitty indian goods out there but all of them?
@heelntoe

ro51092

Quote from: 93JC on January 12, 2007, 02:37:38 PM
They're made in India.

I imagine they're very much like the rest of the cheap shit that ever made it over here from India.

Might I ask what you've owned that came from India?
Not Pakistan or Bangladesh, just India.

There's a high chance that the carpet in your living room was made in India.

93JC

Clothing, mostly. Shoes, shirts...

Why should I trust a Mahindra jeep to be reliable?

93JC

Quote from: ifcar on January 12, 2007, 02:57:38 PM
I hear you there. I once had a T-shirt made in the US, and the color faded quickly. American cars must all be crap.

In the grand scheme of things? Not really. Almost everywhere else is worse.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on January 12, 2007, 03:16:06 PM

Why should I trust a Mahindra jeep to be reliable?

They have a strong reputation in India, as was noted in this thread.

93JC

So I should blindly follow what everyone else tells me instead of following my own personal biases?

Yeah fucking right, buddy.

heelntoe

Quote from: 93JC on January 12, 2007, 03:16:06 PM
actually, indian clothing is something i dont like very much myself.
EDIT: i'm talking about mass produced stuff.
@heelntoe

Raghavan

I'm wearing an Indian shirt right now. It's great.
Besides, Indian cars are pretty reliable.
Pretty funny that the guy raving on about how jeeps are reliable but Mahindras arent (even though he's never even come close to owning one) has a shitty dead Jeep.
:huh:

93JC

The Chinese think their cars are great, and the Soviets thought GAZs and VAZs were great...

Mahindra builds knockoffs of 20 to 60-year-old products stuffed with cheap parts.

I'm not sorry, not one damned bit, that I think that the vast majority of the products from India, Mahindras included, are cheap, poorly constructed garbage.

TheIntrepid

And that wonderful piece of American machinery in your driveway runs right?

Hey, I have a lot of family in India and most of them are terrible, aggressive, hard drivers, but NO car in our family has ever been anything but perfectly reliable. The only reason they're sold eventually is because of age and keeping up with technology.

Marutis, Mahindras, Hindustans, PALs, all are well-built cars.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

93JC

Quote from: Raghavan on January 13, 2007, 03:03:27 PM
Pretty funny that the guy raving on about how jeeps are reliable but Mahindras arent (even though he's never even come close to owning one) has a shitty dead Jeep.
:huh:

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 13, 2007, 04:02:56 PM
And that wonderful piece of American machinery in your driveway runs right?

Grasping at straws, boys, grasping at straws...

You have absolutely nothing left to argue. You can recant all the stories you want about your wonderful Hindustan Ambassadors and Tata Indicas all you want. Like I said, the Chinese think Cherys, Dongfengs and Geelys are fantastic, and the Soviets thought Zhigulis and Volgas were awesome...

If Indian cars are SO amazing, why haven't they been exported here for decades? Why weren't we buying them decades ago?

Oh yeah, that's right, we did buy these things decades ago: when they were originally designed and built by North American, European and Japanese companies.

ifcar

You think that they're grasping at straws when you're basing your opinion of every car produced in the second largest country in the world on the quality of the few non-automotive products you've happened upon? :rolleyes:

93JC

I think that they're grasping at straws because the only counter-argument they have left in the tank is a personal bash against my vehicle, yes.

And yes, I do think the products from the second-largest, one small step above a third-world country are garbage based on the cheap non-automotive products they put out.

Funny how you guys are trying to personally pick me apart while no one seems to be able to attack my arguments concerning the vehicles themselves... hmm, wonder why that is...

ifcar

The people who are actually familiar with the cars have said that they are reliable. Your argument was "no they aren't." There's nothing that can be said to that.

93JC

There's lots than can be said to that. It's just their own biased opinions. I'm just throwing their opinions out the window, like I usually do with your's, Koko.

My opinion is correct, you see.

Raghavan

Quote from: 93JC on January 13, 2007, 04:44:49 PM
There's lots than can be said to that. It's just their own biased opinions. I'm just throwing their opinions out the window, like I usually do with your's, Koko.

My opinion is correct, you see.
No, not really. The Indian posters here (including me) have had experience with Indian cars, and we know that they're quite reliable. You, on the other hand, are merely talking out of your ass.
The cars may not be so luxurious, but they're cheap and reliable. And I assure you that Mahindra will be making their cars more suitable to the American public. Otherwise, there's no use of selling them here.
And I wouldn't call India a step above a 3rd world country, considering their cell phones are far more advanced than the US and has the fastest growing market in cell phones.
I'm not trying to stand up for Indian cars because of pride/ because it's where i'm from. Honestly, I couldn't care less, but you're coming and saying they'll be shitty because of some other product you've owned, not even automotive related. You have 0 experience with Indian cars, so at this point, you're just talking out of your ass.
Besides, you're Canadian, your opinion doesn't matter. :huh:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raghavan on January 13, 2007, 05:12:18 PM
No, not really. The Indian posters here (including me) have had experience with Indian cars, and we know that they're quite reliable. You, on the other hand, are merely talking out of your ass.
The cars may not be so luxurious, but they're cheap and reliable. And I assure you that Mahindra will be making their cars more suitable to the American public. Otherwise, there's no use of selling them here.
And I wouldn't call India a step above a 3rd world country, considering their cell phones are far more advanced than the US and has the fastest growing market in cell phones.
I'm not trying to stand up for Indian cars because of pride/ because it's where i'm from. Honestly, I couldn't care less, but you're coming and saying they'll be shitty because of some other product you've owned, not even automotive related. You have 0 experience with Indian cars, so at this point, you're just talking out of your ass.
Besides, you're Canadian, your opinion doesn't matter. :huh:

Except for the last part, I'm with Raghu ^ :clap: Well said.

Raghavan

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 13, 2007, 05:17:22 PM
Except for the last part, I'm with Raghu ^ :clap: Well said.
That last part was a joke.
;) :lol:

TheIntrepid

Raghavan

TheIntrepid

93JC

Quote from: Raghavan on January 13, 2007, 05:12:18 PM
The Indian posters here (including me) have had experience with Indian cars, and we know that they're quite reliable.

Prove it. Oh wait... you can't!

QuoteThe cars may not be so luxurious,

True, and that's not why I think they're shite.

Quotebut they're cheap

Obviously, or else barely anyone in India would even have a car.

Quoteand reliable.

No proof.

QuoteAnd I assure you that Mahindra will be making their cars more suitable to the American public. Otherwise, there's no use of selling them here.

Why would they have to make them 'more suitable' if there was nothing wrong with them to begin with?

QuoteAnd I wouldn't call India a step above a 3rd world country

I would, considering their per capita GDP at PPP is nearer the ass-end of the spectrum...

In fact, the only thing keeping India from being a third-world country is that the piddly GDP per capita really adds up with 1.1 billion people in the place.

Quoteconsidering their cell phones are far more advanced than the US and has the fastest growing market in cell phones.

:wtf: Wow, I can't even believe this is your grandiose argument as for why India isn't a step above a third-world country. How many people in India have cell phones compared to, say, the number of people who live below the poverty line, or the number of people who know how to read?

Go and look that up. :lol:

QuoteI'm not trying to stand up for Indian cars because of pride/ because it's where i'm from. Honestly, I couldn't care less, but you're coming and saying they'll be shitty because of some other product you've owned, not even automotive related. You have 0 experience with Indian cars, so at this point, you're just talking out of your ass.

Your 'experience' is less worthwhile than my inexperience and personal biases. :lol:

TheIntrepid

Wow you're pretty damn racist for a hick.

93JC

See? See? See what I said about not having any arguments left, so you have to resort to using personal attacks?

This isn't about 'race'. Where did I say anything racist? I think you're the racist one, buddy. I'm not the one who had to resort to calling the white guy a 'hick' because he can't win an argument.

Raghavan

When I was in India the guys who drive the 3 wheeled taxis have cell phones, and not shitty ones either. And they don't even get paid that much.
And they're making the cars 'more suitable' as in adding more luxury equipment that they probably don't sell in their domestic trucks. I'm speculating there, but they'll probably make it have a better interior and equipment so it'll be a competitive truck.
And where's your proof that they're unreliable? You don't have anything, at least I (and heelntoe and Intrepid, if not others) have experience with these cars.

ifcar

I'm pretty sure 93JC has been joking for a while now, just to be contentious. Maybe the entire time. :lol:

Raghavan

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 93JC on January 13, 2007, 05:33:44 PM
See? See? See what I said about not having any arguments left, so you have to resort to using personal attacks?

This isn't about 'race'. Where did I say anything racist? I think you're the racist one, buddy. I'm not the one who had to resort to calling the white guy a 'hick' because he can't win an argument.

Well I think that Ifcar and Raghavan made valid points in this argument before I came in... and  you said plenty of things relating to India as a country. I'm not calling you a hick because you're WHITE; I'm calling you a hick because of the fact that you have a POS on your driveway that doesn't run. :devil:...

Either way I don't care and since you're a fellow Canuck I shall continue to back you up on these forums wherever required. I also realize you're just arguing for the sake of arguing and that's why I've been laying back and letting Iffy and Rag shut you down. ;)