Should I modify my Focus or keep it stock?

Started by 280Z Turbo, January 15, 2007, 07:05:49 PM

280Z Turbo

My Focus has been a reliable little car that gets decent gas mileage, but it's just kinda boring. I plan on keeping this car for quite a while, but I don't want to make the car unreliable or thirsty.

I'm looking at possibly installing the Ford Motorsport SVT suspension package with dampers, bump stops, sway bar, and springs or maybe an Eibach kit with dampers, bump stops, and springs. The SVT kit lowers the car half an inch, while the Eibach kit lowers it 1.5 inches. The North American Foci sit really high for some reason, so I'd like to get rid of that 4x4 look altogether. I'm afraid I could end up with too much camber from this and wear out the inside of the tires.

The Ford Motorsports kit is about $265 while the Eibach kit is $489.

I'm also considering the popular mod of slapping a T3 on the Zetec. But that seems insane at this point. I'd need an exhaust manifold, turbo, oil lines, piping, BOV, ECU tuning, injectors, etc. If I ever upgrade the turbo on my Z, I may do this, but it would be expensive.

I'm probably going to use the Focus for tight autocrosses. The Z's steering is too heavy and slow for the really tight stuff. Plus the Focus' notoriously long first gear is great for low speed auto-X.

I have no desire for 17" wheels, but wider 16" wheels might be nice.

I'd say the brakes are fine as is even though to most people: drums = bad.

The engine could use a little tuning. Maybe some adjustable cam gears could make the top end a little stronger, but this is also another cam of worms.

The exhaust is probably restrictive, but making it louder seems like a genuinely bad idea. The resonance would drive me nuts.

My Z would always come first, but whadya say? Should I divert some funds from the Z into the Focus, or should I keep the daily driver 100% stock?

ifcar

If you plan to keep it for awhile and use it for autocrossing, you might as well.

J86

From what you're saying, I'd do some of the simpler (ie cheaper) stuff to the Focus to hone it's auto-x skillz, but save the majority of your dineros for your true love!

SaltyDog

Quote from: ifcar on January 15, 2007, 07:15:28 PM
If you plan to keep it for awhile and use it for autocrossing, you might as well.

I agree.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Rupert

Were I in your shoes, I'd upgrade the suspension and tires/wheels, but leave the rest stock.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Lebowski

The Pirate

I'd do the suspension for sure.  My car needs shocks and springs, and I'm going to go for either an Eibach kit or some H&R springs and some slightly upgraded shocks, probably Tokicos.  The stuff needs to be done, and it's really the same price as OE replacements, so some better handling is always a good thing.  The H&R kit I'm looking at is only a 3/4" drop, whereas the Eibach was over an inch (like yours).  The car is still a year round daily driver, so I'm inclined to go with the kit with less drop.

If I were you, I'd go take an SVT Focus for a test drive, just to get a feel for the suspension.  If you like it, then get that.  In my mind, the cheaper cost plus less drop would be a good thing.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raghavan

Lowering the car 1.5" would make it look badass, and throw some SVT Focus wheels on there while you're at it.
And maybe you could get a K&N air filter kit for a wee bit more hp and better mpg for not a lot of money.

S204STi

Ford Performance Parts has a huge range of engine mods for the Zetec, including a roots blower and some significant top-end work you could do.  I would do with the FPP  stuff if you are concerned about reliability.

Raghavan

Or you could spend another $100k and get the RS8 package. :devil:

BimmerM3

I would definately recommend doing some simple suspension work. I got some H&R springs back in the summer, and I couldn't believe what a difference it made in my car. Anyway, the ads claimed it lowered the front 1.5 and the rear 1.2. I didn't actually measure it myself, but I think it lowered the car the perfect amount. It was weird when I first got it done though, since I'd fall into my drivers seat every time I got in...  :lol:. Anyway, I think that engine work itself would be kind of pointless on a daily driver, especially when you have a second car you could invest that money in, but suspension work is definately nice.