Driven: S55 and CLS500

Started by Raza , June 08, 2005, 04:24:17 PM

Raza

I had the black S55 AMG and all its 493bhp under my right foot.  Switching off the traction control, as I do when I get into any car, whether it be an S500, E320, or my little VW Passat, can quickly turn ugly.  Dropping the hammer on the accelerator causes the rear tires to erupt in angry tire smoke.  The truly brave among will keep it off (but so often bravado is mistaken for foolishness) but most S55 drivers will leave it on, forget about, and wonder why an exclamation point with a triangle around it keeps lighting up on the dashboard as he dusts the Ferrari in the lane next to him.  Open up the throttle adn brace yourself.  From any speed, the Mercedes unleashes unbridled power and snaps your head against the headrest, pushing you ever so firmly into the supportive AMG-exclusive seat.  This car is a hot rod muscle machine hiding in a luxury car wrapper.
Merging on to the highway is a chore for many, but the driver of a S55 fears no car, for a click of the left button on your steering wheel gives you tireshredding torque--more than enough to get in front of that speeding SUV in the right lane that so desperately doesn't want you to merge in front of him.  
The S55 AMG gobbles up highway tarmac like a voracious cougar.  However, don't confuse the S55 with an abnormally powerful boulevardier--with the ABC switched on to Sport, the car is as at home on the road as it is on a track.  
The sport shift buttons on the back of the steering wheel are so convenient and easy (as well as fun) to use, that the Comfort/Sport setting is useless--leave it in manual, and it's enough to quell even my desire for a third pedal and an H pattern.

***There's an excerpt for you.  But to use language this isn't so bombastic and flowery, let me tell you that the S55 AMG is an incredible car, with mind boggling power.

The CLS500 was also incredible fun, but it wasn't the same as an AMG.  But driving the 500, which also has plenty of power (I'm tempted to use a Wimmerism--"enough power") is a blast to drive gives a good idea of what the CLS55 would feel like (when coupled with my S55 experience).  The interior is comfortable and snug, but not tight.  The interior is beautiful and intimate, and the exterior is not only gorgeous, but it's possibly the most artful exterior I've seen on a car--Rafael, Michelangelo, and Da Vinci would marvel at the exquisite body of the CLS.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

*drool*...Sweet write-up...can't wait till I have the chance to drive that car!  :P  :(  

TBR

So has your dad made a decision yet?  

280Z Turbo

I still say the CLS looks like a melted S-Class. I see what they were going for, but it doesn't work.

R33 GT-R

It was fun waan't it Raza and just think I felt those horses in the E55 which is only a tenth faster than the S.  The S55 and E55 are truly incredible sedans.  
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

BMWDave

QuoteIt was fun waan't it Raza and just think I felt those horses in the E55 which is only a tenth faster than the S.  The S55 and E55 are truly incredible sedans.
They are.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

QuoteSo has your dad made a decision yet?
Right now he's leaning towards the CLS, as am I.  But, he's also considering the CLS500 along with the CLS55--I told him that the CLS55 is as much a car as the S55, but for much, much less (not only being cheaper, but also having a MUCH higher residual values--52% for 5 years!).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteIt was fun waan't it Raza and just think I felt those horses in the E55 which is only a tenth faster than the S.  The S55 and E55 are truly incredible sedans.
They are truly amazing.  So much bloody power....the 600 is even more impressive!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteI still say the CLS looks like a melted S-Class. I see what they were going for, but it doesn't work.
I used to feel the same way about the CLS until I saw it in person.  The artful swooping roofline, the extended crease on the side of the car that flows into the taillight-it's pure artistic genius!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Right now he's leaning towards the CLS, as am I.  But, he's also considering the CLS500 along with the CLS55--I told him that the CLS55 is as much a car as the S55, but for much, much less (not only being cheaper, but also having a MUCH higher residual values--52% for 5 years!).
Awesome, I wish I could convince my dad to spend even half of what your dad is spending on a car.  

Raza

Awesome, I wish I could convince my dad to spend even half of what your dad is spending on a car.
It's all about priorities.  My dad is semi retired, my mom is retired, my brother is on his own now.  Your family still has your college to think about (I don't know how much money they or you are putting out, loans, FA, or if you're taking it on yourself) and they're probably a lot younger than my parents.  I've got older ones.  So, he may decide to spend some money when the idea tickles his fancy.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

It's all about priorities.  My dad is semi retired, my mom is retired, my brother is on his own now.  Your family still has your college to think about (I don't know how much money they or you are putting out, loans, FA, or if you're taking it on yourself) and they're probably a lot younger than my parents.  I've got older ones.  So, he may decide to spend some money when the idea tickles his fancy.
[rant]
First, they are done saving for college and the only debt we have is on a tractor and the Subaru (they could have bought both with cash, but the interest rates were low enough there was no reason to). He makes a 120k a year and we are talking about building a new house, but everything we have drawn up has been under 2200 sq ft. He won't even look at a car that costs over 25k simply because he doesn't think they are worth it (but he will spend over 25k on a truck). My dad is extremely cheap and will always be, no matter how much money he has.
[/rant]

Raza

[rant]
First, they are done saving for college and the only debt we have is on a tractor and the Subaru (they could have bought both with cash, but the interest rates were low enough there was no reason to). He makes a 120k a year and we are talking about building a new house, but everything we have drawn up has been under 2200 sq ft. He won't even look at a car that costs over 25k simply because he doesn't think they are worth it (but he will spend over 25k on a truck). My dad is extremely cheap and will always be, no matter how much money he has.
[/rant]
I know a fellow who is exactly the same way.  But, maybe you can convince him to pick up something really nice, but used.  I mean, there's that 13K XJR running around up here, there's got to be something similar down there.  I was looking at a 17K E46 323i 5 speed for 17K.  For 25K, you can get some serious car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

[rant]
[/rant]
I know a fellow who is exactly the same way.  But, maybe you can convince him to pick up something really nice, but used.  I mean, there's that 13K XJR running around up here, there's got to be something similar down there.  I was looking at a 17K E46 323i 5 speed for 17K.  For 25K, you can get some serious car.
Used isn't likely, both of my parents are paranoid about used cars.  

R33 GT-R

QuoteIt was fun waan't it Raza and just think I felt those horses in the E55 which is only a tenth faster than the S.  The S55 and E55 are truly incredible sedans.
They are truly amazing.  So much bloody power....the 600 is even more impressive!
Yes it most certainly is but I haven't had the pleasure of sitting in that seat and nailing the go pedal.    

280Z Turbo

QuoteI still say the CLS looks like a melted S-Class. I see what they were going for, but it doesn't work.
I used to feel the same way about the CLS until I saw it in person.  The artful swooping roofline, the extended crease on the side of the car that flows into the taillight-it's pure artistic genius!
I saw it in person and I still feel that way! :praise:  

giant_mtb

[rant]
[/rant]
I feel your pain...my parents are extreme minimalists as far as spending money goes.  Bargain shoppers... <_<   :P  

Raza

QuoteIt was fun waan't it Raza and just think I felt those horses in the E55 which is only a tenth faster than the S.  The S55 and E55 are truly incredible sedans.
Yes it most certainly is but I haven't had the pleasure of sitting in that seat and nailing the go pedal.
I was in the back seat, and almost broke my neck when Doug (my Benz guy) nailed the gas.  I tried to resist, but it was futile.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Then you shouldn't reproduce.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

R33 GT-R

What he said. ^^^^

Raza it was beautiful and black the only thing I couldn't figure out was the what seemed to be a scratch but wasn't at the bottom of the rear doors.  I want to know what the hell it is for, bug deflection.  Next time your looking at one squat down at either of the rear doors and look closely there is a strange  curved scratched looking something.  The car is stunning in person though, gorgeous.  

280Z Turbo

Sorry, I just can't stand high beltlines and mail slot windows. If the beltline wasn't so high I'd like it.

Submariner

The 600 is brutal.  It  can't be described in any other way.  The sheer power and massive low end torque puts many of todays sports cars on notice.  

But its the handling that the car posseses that makes it such a blast.  For such a large car, it handles much more like  something half its size, while still delivering the supple ride it should.  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

Sorry, I just can't stand high beltlines and mail slot windows. If the beltline wasn't so high I'd like it.
I have grown to like the CLS over time. The first time I saw one on the street, I was in love until I saw the front. I liked the headlights, but I thought the grille didnt fit the car at all. WELL, the more I see of it (which is a lot more, lately) the more I like it. So, I guess I'll have to withdraw my previous complaints about the CLS front, and I myself don't even care anymore.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

TBR

I originally love the car, but when I saw it in person it just looked overdone.  

R33 GT-R

QuoteI originally love the car, but when I saw it in person it just looked overdone.
Were you stoned?  

TBR

QuoteI originally love the car, but when I saw it in person it just looked overdone.
Were you stoned?
Not likely, it is just too flashy for my tastes (I have pretty conservative taste with cars).  

thewizard16

Were you stoned?
Not likely, it is just too flashy for my tastes (I have pretty conservative taste with cars).
Flashy, no. Attention getting, yes. I think it's a little different. Gold spinners and chrome door strips are flashy. (Perhaps stupid, but flashy). A beautiful shape with good rims is attention getting.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

BMWDave

Were you stoned?
Flashy, no. Attention getting, yes. I think it's a little different. Gold spinners and chrome door strips are flashy. (Perhaps stupid, but flashy). A beautiful shape with good rims is attention getting.
I agree.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Were you stoned?
Can't argue with taste, the CLS stands out to much for my tastes, therefore it is flashy.  Not tacky, flashy.