Audi A3 review in C/D

Started by TBR, June 09, 2005, 10:27:29 AM

TBR

QuoteThe two VP's I mentioned are both over 50...

Would I buy an A3? Probably not. I prefer sedans or coupes.
Whatever, I give up. I personally imagine that the two cars would appeal to the same crowd, but I might be wrong.  

Raza

QuoteI like the A3.  But I'll agree with others, and with C&D - it seems to get expensive really quick when you start to option it out.

I'm not comparing it so much to the A4 as much as to the TSX (both 4-cyl, both FWD).  I don't know, it's just that the TSX comes loaded for $28k, while the A3 seems to get expensive quick.
The TSX costs as much as my E320 in a comparable lease.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

:rolleyes:  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Whatever, I give up. I personally imagine that the two cars would appeal to the same crowd, but I might be wrong.
Yay, I win!!!!

:rockon:  

SJ_GTI

<_<  

Raza

<_<

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Yay, I win!!!!

Maybe so, but I still have a whole lot more posts than you do ;) :lol:. You should be proud of yourself, I believe this is the only time I have fully given up (occassionally I will let my foe have a point or two, but have never given them all up).  

mazda6er

Yay, I win!!!!

Maybe so, but I still have a whole lot more posts than you do ;) :lol:. You should be proud of yourself, I believe this is the only time I have fully given up (occassionally I will let my foe have a point or two, but have never given them all up).
I believe you fellas are forgetting that I was the one arguing against TBR, and Mtl_A4 just supported my position. So technically, I win and Mtl_A4 gets an assist.  :lol:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

Yay, I win!!!!

I believe you fellas are forgetting that I was the one arguing against TBR, and Mtl_A4 just supported my position. So technically, I win and Mtl_A4 gets an assist.  :lol:
Lol, the arguments between me and TBR never really end....we both say the others position is stupid and we leave it at that :lol:

So this is a great victory, lol :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

Yay, I win!!!!

Lol, the arguments between me and TBR never really end....we both say the others position is stupid and we leave it at that :lol:

That is because we are both hard headed ;). Besides, the only times we have agreed to let things rest have involved styling issues which are a bit different.  

BMWDave

Yay, I win!!!!

That is because we are both hard headed ;). Besides, the only times we have agreed to let things rest have involved styling issues which are a bit different.
Yup.  I'll try to be less hard headed in the future ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Yay, I win!!!!

Nonsense, my ppd would go way down if you quit arguing with me and vice versa.  

BMWDave

Yay, I win!!!!

Nonsense, my ppd would go way down if you quit arguing with me and vice versa.
All right, I'll keep it up! :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

You are all useless!

:angry:  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Anybody else find it a little odd that they included the Mazda3 hatch as competition for this car in their little comparison charts?  I wouldn't exactly consider the Mazda quite in the same league, especially in performance.  It's little 160 hp motor is a bit outgunned by the competition here.  It's surprisingly competitive in content, though.  That stripped Audi is no better equipped than a Mazda3 hatch with the safety package, which runs a good $6K USD less.  That's not to say the A3 is necessarily overpriced.  Being a full second quicker to 60 and in the 1/4 mile is worth some extra dough.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

The Mazda3 does not compete with the A3.  No way.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

QuoteThe Mazda3 does not compete with the A3.  No way.
I tend to agree. The A3 is marketed at a different group that is likely to be buying a Mazda3, and I think the options list and price reflects that.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

TBR

QuoteThe Mazda3 does not compete with the A3.  No way.
I tend to agree. The A3 is marketed at a different group that is likely to be buying a Mazda3, and I think the options list and price reflects that.
I will even agree with that.

SJ_GTI

Yay, I win!!!!

A Mazda 3s Hatch competes with the A3 in the same way a Legacy competes with the A4. Basically a similar package for a lower price.

The Volvo V50 and Saab 9-2x are probably the closest competitors on the US market for the A3. The V50 is the same chassis as the Mazda 3 but a bit more uplevel, and obviously the 9-2x is just a fancier Impreza. The A3 itself is, mechnically, a spiffed up Golf.

TBR

Yay, I win!!!!

A Mazda 3s Hatch competes with the A3 in the same way a Legacy competes with the A4. Basically a similar package for a lower price.

The Volvo V50 and Saab 9-2x are probably the closest competitors on the US market for the A3. The V50 is the same chassis as the Mazda 3 but a bit more uplevel, and obviously the 9-2x is just a fancier Impreza. The A3 itself is, mechnically, a spiffed up Golf.
I don't see the V50 competing with the A3 at all because it is more of a true wagon.  

Raza

Give me an AWD V50 R for 34K with a stick shift and I'll buy it over the Audi anyday.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Yay, I win!!!!

The Subaru Legacy doesn't cost that much less than the A4.  The Mazda3 is under 20K.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Yay, I win!!!!

The Subaru Legacy doesn't cost that much less than the A4.  The Mazda3 is under 20K.
Loaded up it gets to about $23K, still significantly less than a similarly equipped A3.  A couple thousand less than a stripped A3.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Yeah, if the Mazda3 competes with the A3, then the Z4 competes with a 360 Spider.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

QuoteYeah, if the Mazda3 competes with the A3, then the Z4 competes with a 360 Spider.
Kindof extreme, but I agree with the sentiment. Cars that provide the same thing for significantly cheaper really only work as competitors in the ultra lux arena. In the normal to entry lux area, it doesn't work as well, I think. Otherwise you'd be cross shopping Sebrings and SLKs, or Sonatas and A6s. They can have a lot of the same features at a lower price, but that doesn't make them competitors. (Yes, I know those aren't ideal match-ups for proving my point, but I didn't feel like putting much effort into it.)
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

BMWDave

QuoteYeah, if the Mazda3 competes with the A3, then the Z4 competes with a 360 Spider.
Kindof extreme, but I agree with the sentiment. Cars that provide the same thing for significantly cheaper really only work as competitors in the ultra lux arena. In the normal to entry lux area, it doesn't work as well, I think. Otherwise you'd be cross shopping Sebrings and SLKs, or Sonatas and A6s. They can have a lot of the same features at a lower price, but that doesn't make them competitors. (Yes, I know those aren't ideal match-ups for proving my point, but I didn't feel like putting much effort into it.)
Well said.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

You know, I'd venture that the Mini Cooper S somewhat competes with it.  Somewhat.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteYou know, I'd venture that the Mini Cooper S somewhat competes with it.  Somewhat.
Only the fact that they are both luxury minded hatches...the Mini is way down on passenger space to the A3, and it also costs a lot less.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I'm not sure exactly who said what, but I'm with whoever has said that the Mazda3 does compete with the A3. Fun-to-drive stylish hatchbacks are not especially common, and pricing isn't that far apart.