Audi A3 review in C/D

Started by TBR, June 09, 2005, 10:27:29 AM

TBR

Highs: Seductively fun, practical, comfortable, and refined

Lows: Gets pricey if you add options

The Verdict: Long live the hot hatchback

Choice Quote: "It's the reasonably priced sports car for those who can't put up with sports-car impracticalities. In other words, it's one hot hatchback"

Acceleration:
0-60: 6.5
0-100: 17
1/4 mile: 14.9 @ 94

Braking:
70-0: 185

Handling:
Roadholding: .82g

Price as tested: $25,460 (manual, no options)

They seemed to like it a lot, but I do agree it is a bit pricey. Once you start putting options on it there is really no reason to buy it instead of an A4.

MrH

QuoteHighs: Seductively fun, practical, comfortable, and refined

Choice Quote: "It's the reasonably priced sports car for those who can't put up with sports-car impracticalities. In other words, it's one hot hatchback"

Acceleration:

Braking:

Handling:

They seemed to like it a lot, but I do agree it is a bit pricey. Once you start putting options on it there is really no reason to buy it instead of an A4.
Hatch back practicality, and I prefer the looks, and if the price and equipment is similar, you can make the exact opposite argument.  I know I'd take the A3 over the A4.

Anyone know when the quattro A3 is supposed to come out?  Any official dates announced yet?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

QuoteHighs: Seductively fun, practical, comfortable, and refined

Acceleration:

Braking:

Handling:

Hatch back practicality, and I prefer the looks, and if the price and equipment is similar, you can make the exact opposite argument.  I know I'd take the A3 over the A4.

Anyone know when the quattro A3 is supposed to come out?  Any official dates announced yet?
I think this fall, but I am not sure.  

SJ_GTI

The price vs content is not being fair. A loaded up A3 is about the same as a stripped A4. A similarly equipped A4 (with quattro) is significantly more expensive than an A3.

TBR

QuoteThe price vs content is not being fair. A loaded up A3 is about the same as a stripped A4. A similarly equipped A4 (with quattro) is significantly more expensive than an A3.
Sure the FWD A3 still has an advantage compared to a Quattro equipped A4, but that will change this fall when the A3 becomes available with Quattro also.  

SJ_GTI

Let me see if I can be clear.

A3 with Premium Package, cold weather package, and Xenons: $38,700

A4 Frontrack does not have all those options, but with 17 inch tires and sunroof: $41,000 (no cold weather package, no Xenon's!)

A4 Quattro with Premium, Xenons, Cold weather, and Sport Package (17 inches aren't standrad on the A4, but are standard on the A3): $47,850

Prices are nicely staggerred on the A3 to the A4. You will spend less money and get more equipment if you get an A3 rather than an A4.

PS. All the above have 6-speed manual and 2.0T engine.

TBR

I am working on prices in USA dollars right now.  

TBR

A3:
Base- $24,470
Sport Package- $1800
Sound- $900
Open Sky System- $1100
Sirius Satellite Radio- $350
Xenon headlights- $500
Total- $30110

A4:
Base- $27,350
Premium Package- $2100
Lighting Package- $1425
Sport Package- $750
Audio- $1000
Total- $33345

So, yes the A3 is still cheaper but it also doesn't have nearly as much equipment (you have to get the A4's premium package to get leather, plus the lighting package consists of way more than just xenon lights (first, they are bixenon, not just xenon)).  

SJ_GTI

QuoteA3:
Base- $24,470
Sport Package- $1800
Sound- $900
Open Sky System- $1100
Xenon headlights- $500
Total- $30110

A4:
Base- $27,350
Premium Package- $2100
Lighting Package- $1425
Sport Package- $750
Audio- $1000
Total- $33345

So, yes the A3 is still cheaper but it also doesn't have nearly as much equipment (you have to get the A4's premium package to get leather, plus the lighting package consists of way more than just xenon lights (first, they are bixenon, not just xenon)).
The A3's sport package, which you listed, includes leather.

The A4 Fronttrack, which you listed, does not come with leather standard...its part of the premium package. That is why you will notice that the sport package on the A3 is more expensive than the one on the A4.

The Sport package on the A3 is a bit of a misnomer, its a sporty premium package. The A3 comes standard with 17 inch tires and sport suspension, these are options on the A4. hence, to match the A3 sport package, you have to get both the sport package and premium package on the A4.

And anyway, as you see, the cost is still lower. Expensive? Sure...its supposed to be a premium car, not a mainstreamer. But still cheaper than the A4 or 3-series.

BMWDave

QuoteA3:
Base- $24,470
Sport Package- $1800
Sound- $900
Open Sky System- $1100
Xenon headlights- $500
Total- $30110

A4:
Base- $27,350
Premium Package- $2100
Lighting Package- $1425
Sport Package- $750
Audio- $1000
Total- $33345

The A4 Fronttrack, which you listed, does not come with leather standard...its part of the premium package. That is why you will notice that the sport package on the A3 is more expensive than the one on the A4.

The Sport package on the A3 is a bit of a misnomer, its a sporty premium package. The A3 comes standard with 17 inch tires and sport suspension, these are options on the A4. hence, to match the A3 sport package, you have to get both the sport package and premium package on the A4.

And anyway, as you see, the cost is still lower. Expensive? Sure...its supposed to be a premium car, not a mainstreamer. But still cheaper than the A4 or 3-series.
The A3 is more expensive than the 1 series in Europe, which is the car it would be compared to, not the 3er.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

One reason to buy an A3 over an A4--a manual transmission coupled with that magnificent 3.2L V6.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteA3:
Base- $24,470
Sport Package- $1800
Sound- $900
Open Sky System- $1100
Xenon headlights- $500
Total- $30110

A4:
Base- $27,350
Premium Package- $2100
Lighting Package- $1425
Sport Package- $750
Audio- $1000
Total- $33345

The A4's premium package has more equipment than the A3's sport/premium package and the A4's headlight package consists of more than the A3's. So you have to consider that the A4 has more equipment when comparing the prices  

TBR

QuoteOne reason to buy an A3 over an A4--a manual transmission coupled with that magnificent 3.2L V6.
Everything I have heard indicated that the A3 3.2 will be DSG only.  

Raza

QuoteOne reason to buy an A3 over an A4--a manual transmission coupled with that magnificent 3.2L V6.
Damnit.  Maybe I heard/read it on a European publication.  I'm always doing that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Damnit.  Maybe I heard/read it on a European publication.  I'm always doing that.
Yep, quite annoying. DSG is really no better than a manumatic.  

Raza

Yep, quite annoying. DSG is really no better than a manumatic.
After driving the S55's button shift, I don't really have a problem with the manumatic (I've driven manumatic mostly), but a DSG or SMG is just too close without the same satisfaction.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

QuoteA3:
Base- $24,470
Sport Package- $1800
Sound- $900
Open Sky System- $1100
Xenon headlights- $500
Total- $30110

A4:
Base- $27,350
Premium Package- $2100
Lighting Package- $1425
Sport Package- $750
Audio- $1000
Total- $33345

The A4's premium package has more equipment than the A3's sport/premium package and the A4's headlight package consists of more than the A3's. So you have to consider that the A4 has more equipment when comparing the prices
OKay, I give. You are right an the A3 is overpriced. No one should buy it.

TBR

QuoteA3:
Base- $24,470
Sport Package- $1800
Sound- $900
Open Sky System- $1100
Xenon headlights- $500
Total- $30110

A4:
Base- $27,350
Premium Package- $2100
Lighting Package- $1425
Sport Package- $750
Audio- $1000
Total- $33345

OKay, I give. You are right an the A3 is overpriced. No one should buy it.
You're dense, aren't you? I never said it was overpriced, I just think the A4 is worth the small amount extra it costs over the A3.

Lebowski

QuoteLet me see if I can be clear.

A4 Frontrack does not have all those options, but with 17 inch tires and sunroof: $41,000 (no cold weather package, no Xenon's!)

A4 Quattro with Premium, Xenons, Cold weather, and Sport Package (17 inches aren't standrad on the A4, but are standard on the A3): $47,850

Prices are nicely staggerred on the A3 to the A4. You will spend less money and get more equipment if you get an A3 rather than an A4.

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Want to put an asterisk in there somewhere that says $CAD?  I almost shit myself when I first read that.

TBR

QuoteLet me see if I can be clear.

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Want to put an asterisk in there somewhere that says $CAD?  I almost shit myself when I first read that.
Yeah, that threw me at first, but then I remember that mtl_a4 is now one of our neighbors to the north.  

Lebowski

I like the A3.  But I'll agree with others, and with C&D - it seems to get expensive really quick when you start to option it out.

I'm not comparing it so much to the A4 as much as to the TSX (both 4-cyl, both FWD).  I don't know, it's just that the TSX comes loaded for $28k, while the A3 seems to get expensive quick.

mazda6er

QuoteYou're dense, aren't you? I never said it was overpriced, I just think the A4 is worth the small amount extra it costs over the A3.
You should keep in mind that the cars are marketed to very different demographics, in my opinion.  You won't stumble across many businessmen driving A3s. This is meant to be a hip, young car to introduce rich kids to the brand. It's not so much the price difference, but the "lifestyle" difference that will cause customers to choose one over the other.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

QuoteYou're dense, aren't you? I never said it was overpriced, I just think the A4 is worth the small amount extra it costs over the A3.
You should keep in mind that the cars are marketed to very different demographics, in my opinion.  You won't stumble across many businessmen driving A3s. This is meant to be a hip, young car to introduce rich kids to the brand. It's not so much the price difference, but the "lifestyle" difference that will cause customers to choose one over the other.
I don't think you'll find many businessmen driving A4s either. They are really both intended for the same market, and for my money I would choose the A4.

mazda6er

QuoteI don't think you'll find many businessmen driving A4s either. They are really both intended for the same market, and for my money I would choose the A4.
When I say businessmen, I don't mean Donald Trump. I mean regular people that have white-collar jobs and a decent cash flow. If not A4s what would the average businessman be driving? (other than comparable entry-lux cars)
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

QuoteI don't think you'll find many businessmen driving A4s either. They are really both intended for the same market, and for my money I would choose the A4.
When I say businessmen, I don't mean Donald Trump. I mean regular people that have white-collar jobs and a decent cash flow. If not A4s what would the average businessman be driving? (other than comparable entry-lux cars)
An Accord or Camry, or if he is more successful maybe a Benz or BMW. I just don't picture anyone over 30 in an A4.  

mazda6er

QuoteAn Accord or Camry, or if he is more successful maybe a Benz or BMW. I just don't picture anyone over 30 in an A4.
I'm not sure why. I've seen a 60 year old man getting out of a C-class hatchback. What seperates a Benz or a Beamer from an Audi? If you said you can't see anyone over 30 driving an Infiniti (specifically the G-class) I might agree, but to me A4s are not necessarily for the young(er) crowd.
--Mark

SJ_GTI

An Accord or Camry, or if he is more successful maybe a Benz or BMW. I just don't picture anyone over 30 in an A4.
Well I consider myself a "businessman" and I drive an A4. Apart from that, there are two VP's where I work that also drive A4's, and our division president drives a TT.  :o  

TBR

Well I consider myself a "businessman" and I drive an A4. Apart from that, there are two VP's where I work that also drive A4's, and our division president drives a TT.  :o
But, you would also buy an A3, wouldn't you? So my point still stands that the cars appeal to the same crowds. I should have been more clear, I don't picture older men driving either car, but I can picture younger businessmen driving both of them.  

mazda6er

QuoteBut, you would also buy an A3, wouldn't you? So my point still stands that the cars appeal to the same crowds. I should have been more clear, I don't picture older men driving either car, but I can picture younger businessmen driving both of them.
Don't put words in his mouth  ;)  :lol:  
--Mark

SJ_GTI

The two VP's I mentioned are both over 50...

Would I buy an A3? Probably not. I prefer sedans or coupes.