Older German cars are great!

Started by sportyaccordy, January 22, 2007, 01:10:13 PM

sandertheshark

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 22, 2007, 05:29:59 PM
Mercedes 560's and E30 convertibles will always have a special place in my heart :wub:

I <3 the 80's
I'm more of a nineties guy.  I love the early-mid 90s Benz SELs, SECs, and SLs.  And BMWs in mostly all shapes in sizes.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Submariner on January 23, 2007, 05:24:54 PM
Thats an S-600, and in 1996 it was called the S-500, not the 500 SEL.

I thought it was obvious that it's a Google Images pic :P

Uncle's may be a '95? :confused: Not sure exactly, I know it's a W140 500SEL in white.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

LonghornTX

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 22, 2007, 01:10:13 PM
My friend for some reason has a 190E and an E34 525i in his family. I've ridden in both and I like them more than any other car I've driven in recent memory, including an S2000 and my old car...they feel as solid as anything modern and they have that character about them. No joke, if not for the repairs and stigma of driving an old luxury car I would probably get something like a 535i for my next car...
Hell yea they are!  I personally own an e34 525i and I love it.  The interior is starting to fall apart (it is a 90, I live in Texas, and it was treated poorly by the previous owner), but other than that the car still looks pretty new for how old it is.  Those that are not as car savy as us are always suprised to hear how old it is.  Of course, the mods that I have done do make it look more modern.  These include M-countour wheels (from the E36 M3), supersprint exhaust, bilstein shocks w/ H&R spring, and factory clear lenses front and back.

When I go to my parents house tonight, I will post some pictures.... :mrcool:
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

The Pirate

Quote from: LonghornTX on January 24, 2007, 03:15:09 PM

Please do, I love those old BMWs.  How many miles, and how have the mechanicals held up?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

LonghornTX

Quote from: The Pirate on January 24, 2007, 05:15:18 PM

Please do, I love those old BMWs.  How many miles, and how have the mechanicals held up?

She is at close to 150K now, I picked her up in 02 with 88K.  The mechanicals have held up great.  The M20 engine in my car is pretty much bullet proof given that you take care of it.  Really, the only weak point of the car is the transmission (a GM sourced auto, I know, it was a present so I had no choice), but as long as you stay on top of your fluid and filter changes, that will really never go either.  The car still has perfect compression, leaks no fluids, and recently easily survived the big ice storm we had a week ago.  The only things mechanically I have had to replace are some hoses and bushings in the suspension since I drive pretty hard and my current setup is much stiffer than stock (the car also has 95 M5 Nurburgring package swaybars).  On top of that, I get ~23-24M MPG in mixed driving (I drive aggressively).  Not bad for a 17 year old car w/ a 4-spd transmission.

Soup DeVille

I've always had a soft spot for the W123 coupes
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: LonghornTX on January 24, 2007, 03:15:09 PM
Hell yea they are! I personally own an e34 525i and I love it. The interior is starting to fall apart (it is a 90, I live in Texas, and it was treated poorly by the previous owner), but other than that the car still looks pretty new for how old it is. Those that are not as car savy as us are always suprised to hear how old it is. Of course, the mods that I have done do make it look more modern. These include M-countour wheels (from the E36 M3), supersprint exhaust, bilstein shocks w/ H&R spring, and factory clear lenses front and back.

Nice! My parents would kill me if I got another old car, especially a BMW... but the E34 is great. It seriously feels as solid as a new car. How does the 535i compare power-wise?

heelntoe

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 24, 2007, 10:27:24 PM
damn sealed beams ruin the front end, but it shouldnt be hard to swap them out now.
@heelntoe

cawimmer430

MY FAVORITE MERCEDES EVER!!!  :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

LonghornTX

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 25, 2007, 04:31:25 AM
Nice! My parents would kill me if I got another old car, especially a BMW... but the E34 is great. It seriously feels as solid as a new car. How does the 535i compare power-wise?
The 535i is much more powerful.  The only bad thing, is it is almost impossible to find one with low miles that is in good condition, at least down in the south.  Plus, with a $400 chip, you can get ~230HP.  The only good thing about my car is the fact that it is the 2nd lightest version imported to america (the manual is slightly lighter).

The best compromise is the 525i from 91 onward that came with the M50 2.5L. 

Vinsanity

how come M-B seems like the only carmaker who knows how to make pillarless fixed-hardtop coupes anymore? :huh:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: LonghornTX on January 25, 2007, 08:36:47 AM
The 535i is much more powerful. The only bad thing, is it is almost impossible to find one with low miles that is in good condition, at least down in the south. Plus, with a $400 chip, you can get ~230HP. The only good thing about my car is the fact that it is the 2nd lightest version imported to america (the manual is slightly lighter).

The best compromise is the 525i from 91 onward that came with the M50 2.5L.

Wait, what motor does yours have, the 12V SOHC 2.5L?

I wish the 535i had a DOHC head...I really love that car though. Older cars have so much more character

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 25, 2007, 10:28:22 AM
how come M-B seems like the only carmaker who knows how to make pillarless fixed-hardtop coupes anymore? :huh:

:huh: ... the upcoming Challenger? 6-series? You're sounding like Wimmer here. :P

Vinsanity

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 25, 2007, 11:59:19 AM
:huh: ... the upcoming Challenger? 6-series? You're sounding like Wimmer here. :P

REALLY...I'll give you the Challenger (although still in the DCX family), but find me a pic of a 645/650 hardtop with the rear window rolled down :rolleyes: ;)

LonghornTX

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 25, 2007, 11:25:07 AM
Wait, what motor does yours have, the 12V SOHC 2.5L?

I wish the 535i had a DOHC head...I really love that car though. Older cars have so much more character
Yep, it is referred to as the M20.  It is pretty weak (even with the extra ~30HP I  have added), but in return it is bullet proof and very easy to work on.

The 3.5L (known as M30) is a gem and loves to be turbo charged!

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 25, 2007, 01:04:11 PM
REALLY...I'll give you the Challenger (although still in the DCX family), but find me a pic of a 645/650 hardtop with the rear window rolled down :rolleyes: ;)

Okay.  I just need my camera and a tire iron.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

heelntoe

@heelntoe

Raza

Quote from: heelntoe on January 25, 2007, 03:10:11 PM
no shovel?

The shovel's a little heavy duty for the job of rolling down a 1/4 size window, isn't it?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

heelntoe

@heelntoe

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 25, 2007, 10:28:22 AM

My thought is that they've simply never really tried again. The greatest thing about them to most people was that they really ventilated the cabin well. In the mid '70s, the idea of rollover testing really killed them, and by the time manufacturers figured out how to make a hardtop strong enough, everybody had A/C anyways and it wasn't as much of a draw anymore.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 25, 2007, 07:49:14 AM
MY FAVORITE MERCEDES EVER!!!? :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I'd really like to see if I can fit a 500HP or so Caddy 500/472 engine in one. The chassis would likely handle much better, and the smooth low revving power would really fit with the character of the rest of the car I think.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: LonghornTX on January 25, 2007, 02:32:30 PM
Yep, it is referred to as the M20. It is pretty weak (even with the extra ~30HP I have added), but in return it is bullet proof and very easy to work on.

The 3.5L (known as M30) is a gem and loves to be turbo charged!

Ah ok...I thought they came out with the M50 in '88. Interesting stuff.

Anyone familiar with Mercedes motors? I would get a 2.6L 190E and swap in the 3.0L 24V L6... 220HP in that little chassis would boogie! It was also the first Mercedes to go from the old trailing arm setup to the new, 5-link independent rear suspension. It actually seems like a really good car!

LonghornTX

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 26, 2007, 05:06:40 AM
Ah ok...I thought they came out with the M50 in '88. Interesting stuff.

Anyone familiar with Mercedes motors? I would get a 2.6L 190E and swap in the 3.0L 24V L6... 220HP in that little chassis would boogie! It was also the first Mercedes to go from the old trailing arm setup to the new, 5-link independent rear suspension. It actually seems like a really good car!
Yea, the E34 debuted in late 88 (as an 89), the M50 didn't join till 91, though it can be found in some late 90s I believe.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 25, 2007, 01:04:11 PM

Upcoming Camaro?

nickdrinkwater

My grandpa has one of those.  :praise:

Without the ugly round headlights though.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 26, 2007, 10:31:00 AM
My grandpa has one of those.? :praise:

Without the ugly round headlights though.

What's with the widespread hate of round headlights? Do all lights now need to be shrouded in some amorphous plastic housing to be cool?

The Mini has round headlights: and those are "cool and retro."

But round headlights on an actual vintage car are ugly? :huh:

heelntoe

considering they had the better head lamps, i guess those round headlamps stick out like a sore thumb.
@heelntoe

SaltyDog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 29, 2007, 05:57:30 PM
What's with the widespread hate of round headlights? Do all lights now need to be shrouded in some amorphous plastic housing to be cool?

No way!

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ChrisV

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 29, 2007, 05:57:30 PM

You're telling someone their opinion is wrong? Man, I get bitched at for doing that.

BTW, I prefer the round headlights on that Mercedes over the overly large rectangular ones.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...