Double Take: Saturn Aura XR vs. Toyota Camry SE

Started by VetteZ06, January 27, 2007, 05:03:21 PM

VetteZ06

QuoteSome new car models have more riding on them than others. Such is the case with the redone sixth-generation Toyota Camry and the new Saturn Aura. Expectations for these vehicles couldn?t be higher, since both figure heavily into each company?s plans.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070126/FREE/70118010/1004

ifcar

I've never thought much of the SE's ride/handling tradeoff, even in the current gen. The suspension seems to be tuned in the hope that buyers will mistake stiffness for agility. Had their test Camry been a standard-suspension version, one of their complaints would have been eliminated. But the Aura definitely has its merits over any Camry model (and vice versa).

280Z Turbo

Why does it seem that the only time we get a decent car from GM or Ford, it comes from one of their overseas subsidiaries?

MX793

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 27, 2007, 10:54:52 PM
Why does it seem that the only time we get a decent car from GM or Ford, it comes from one of their overseas subsidiaries?

The Aura isn't really a rebadged European car.  No moreso than the Malibu or G6.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ro51092

Umm, because it's true, with the exceptions of the Corvette, CTS, GT, and Mustang.

ifcar

Because the cars that enthusiasts like are the same as the mainstream cars abroad?

Catman

It's getting to the point where the differences are so small that the $4000 price difference will be a significant consideration when it comes time for a purchase.  I'm wondering at this point what the resale value factor will be on the Saturn.  Obviously, it's nice to save $4000 but if the resale value is $4000 less than the Camry then it might be insignificant in the long run.

I may be in the minority here but the Camry SE looks good to me.

FordSVT

The Camry's not a bad car if all you're looking for is relatively comfortable a-b transportation, but it's not half as sporty as a Fusion or Accord (even with 267 hp and a "sport" package). I also think the Camry is pretty ugly. The older models were rather boring, but they weren't offensive. I think the Camry looks like some kind of sea creature. Add on the tacky ground skirts and shit on the sport model and it gets worse. Totally heavy, unbalanced look.
-FordSVT-

Raza

Quote from: Catman on January 28, 2007, 07:12:30 AM
It's getting to the point where the differences are so small that the $4000 price difference will be a significant consideration when it comes time for a purchase.  I'm wondering at this point what the resale value factor will be on the Saturn.  Obviously, it's nice to save $4000 but if the resale value is $4000 less than the Camry then it might be insignificant in the long run.

I may be in the minority here but the Camry SE looks good to me.

Resale value is a valid point (of course it is a neverending spiral) but if you plan to keep the car for a long time (beyond 6-8 years) or if you're not leasing, it's not that big of a deal.  Resale of most cars even out in the long run.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Incorrect. Shop beyond 10 years old and the prices differences are still there.

the Teuton

But in 10 years, the $4000 difference doesn't matter anymore.  You're not going to lose a significant amount more money on one over the other if you keep it for that long, whether maintenance or resale.  And besides, GM has a better warranty right now, so it will absorb a lot of the difference if the gap does grow any more in value.

The Saturn, if proven to be reliable, might actually be a better car to own.  When was the last time someone ever said that?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

And, if you're keeping a car for 6 years or longer, you'll own it outright at that point.  A big problem with resale value, for a short term owner, is being upside down on the loan because the car's value dropped significantly.  If you've had a car for 6 years, you'll have paid it off, and at that point, resale isn't quite as important.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on January 28, 2007, 11:44:36 AM
Incorrect. Shop beyond 10 years old and the prices differences are still there.

Some cars have unjustifiable and unsustainable demand.  That's why I use qualifiers like "most" and "not that big".

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

afty

Quote from: Catman on January 28, 2007, 07:12:30 AM
It's getting to the point where the differences are so small that the $4000 price difference will be a significant consideration when it comes time for a purchase.
It it really a $4000 difference, though?  With Saturn's no-haggle pricing (I'm assuming they still do this), you will be paying sticker for the Saturn, but you're going to be paying invoice on the Camry, which is around $2k under MSRP.  So the real price difference is probably closer to $2000.

Eye of the Tiger

How can you assume you'll pay invoice for the Camry? Salespeople know that the average car-buyer has a serious hard-on for the Camry, so they're not going to back down so easily. It's not like they're hard to sell. ;)
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Most new car buyers though don't keep their cars 10 years, so resale is a factor to be reckoned with, and beyond any short-term strategy an automaker could hope to implement.

One big factor IMO is that Detroit's fleets sales (read: indiscriminant, short-term buyers). Cobalt, G6, Grand Prix, Malibu (not just Classic), Impala, Charger, Magnum, 500, etc., are all over 30% fleet sales, and a number are over 50%.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on January 29, 2007, 12:15:25 AM
How can you assume you'll pay invoice for the Camry? Salespeople know that the average car-buyer has a serious hard-on for the Camry, so they're not going to back down so easily. It's not like they're hard to sell. ;)

When I bought the Passat, the most they'd take off the Camry was $500. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

The local no-haggle auto dealer, Fitzgerald Auto Mall, sells the majority of its Camrys at invoice.

http://www.fitzmall.com/

TheIntrepid

When my parents were getting our Camry they had a $500 market adjustment. :huh: The 07s were just released at that time.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

FordSVT

Quote from: GoCougs on January 29, 2007, 12:22:39 AM
Most new car buyers though don't keep their cars 10 years, so resale is a factor to be reckoned with, and beyond any short-term strategy an automaker could hope to implement.

One big factor IMO is that Detroit's fleets sales (read: indiscriminant, short-term buyers). Cobalt, G6, Grand Prix, Malibu (not just Classic), Impala, Charger, Magnum, 500, etc., are all over 30% fleet sales, and a number are over 50%.

Do you know what the figures are for Camry and Corolla and whether they are increasing or decreasing their fleet sales share? There's an Enterprise rental car store here in town that offers nothing but Camry and Corolla for their small and midsize offerings. They used to have Echos but they haven't got any Yaris yet.

I will admit that the one brand I've never seen on a rental lot is Honda, at least not around here.
-FordSVT-

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 29, 2007, 05:21:49 AM
When my parents were getting our Camry they had a $500 market adjustment. :huh: The 07s were just released at that time.

Your parents paid $500 over sticker for a Camry? You're kidding me right?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

MX793

Quote from: FordSVT on January 29, 2007, 06:02:52 AM
Do you know what the figures are for Camry and Corolla and whether they are increasing or decreasing their fleet sales share? There's an Enterprise rental car store here in town that offers nothing but Camry and Corolla for their small and midsize offerings. They used to have Echos but they haven't got any Yaris yet.

I will admit that the one brand I've never seen on a rental lot is Honda, at least not around here.
-FordSVT-

IIRC, Camry fleet sales are around 15%-18%.  I think their fleet sales have been increasing in recent years, possibly because the domestics have been trying to cut back and the fleets need somewhere else for cars.  No idea on the Corolla, but I would be surprised if fleet sales accounted for even 20%.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: The Pirate on January 28, 2007, 05:56:00 PM
And, if you're keeping a car for 6 years or longer, you'll own it outright at that point.  A big problem with resale value, for a short term owner, is being upside down on the loan because the car's value dropped significantly.  If you've had a car for 6 years, you'll have paid it off, and at that point, resale isn't quite as important.

You don't think resale doesn't matter that much after 6 years or when you've paid the car off?  Let me put it this way, lets say that 6 years ago you were looking at either an Impala or a Camry.  Both cars were $20K and you would have had the same payments and interest an everything on either, so in the end you would have paid the same for either.  If you were to sell either car today, you could get around $6K-$6.5K for the Impala while you could probably get close to $8K for the Camry.  If operating costs are the same between the two (and I suspect they are probably pretty close), that means you ultimately saved $1500-$2000 by going for the Camry and keeping the cars 6 years.  That's not exactly chump change, especially for a working class American.
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

Quote from: FordSVT on January 29, 2007, 06:02:52 AM

-FordSVT-

The numbers I have are thru first half of 2005 and thru first half of 2006.

Camry: 12.8% (2006), 15.9% (2005)
Corolla: 12.8% (2006), 14.0% (2005)

The link just died on me so I don't have any other hard numbers. Detroit's trend is the opposite. They have increased fleet sales vs. 2005. Honda didn't seem to have many; less than 5% for each model.

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on January 29, 2007, 09:23:58 AM
You don't think resale doesn't matter that much after 6 years or when you've paid the car off?? Let me put it this way, lets say that 6 years ago you were looking at either an Impala or a Camry.? Both cars were $20K and you would have had the same payments and interest an everything on either, so in the end you would have paid the same for either.? If you were to sell either car today, you could get around $6K-$6.5K for the Impala while you could probably get close to $8K for the Camry.? If operating costs are the same between the two (and I suspect they are probably pretty close), that means you ultimately saved $1500-$2000 by going for the Camry and keeping the cars 6 years.? That's not exactly chump change, especially for a working class American.
However you could have probably bought the Impala at 0% and at dealer invoice.  The Camry would have cost you close to MSRP and 5% or so.  The difference in resale value is more then made up for by buying the Impala.  It's one of the reasons I buy domestics at this time.  The cars are just as good as the imports, but I can buy them for a lot less.

afty

Quote from: NACar on January 29, 2007, 12:15:25 AM

Cars in this class always sell for invoice after the initial frenzy.  Camry, Accord, Altima, etc.  They sell so many of them that they become a commodity and prices drop to invoice or below.

Check out the Camry "prices paid" thread at Edmunds.  Camrys are currently going for just above invoice. 
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef071a2/4805

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 29, 2007, 10:42:54 AM
However you could have probably bought the Impala at 0% and at dealer invoice.  The Camry would have cost you close to MSRP and 5% or so.  The difference in resale value is more then made up for by buying the Impala.  It's one of the reasons I buy domestics at this time.  The cars are just as good as the imports, but I can buy them for a lot less.

In my example, the total price paid for the two is supposed to end up exactly the same.  In other words, after all haggling and discounts and deals etc... you will pay the exact same amount to own either.  In which case, after you sell them in 6 years, the Camry cost you less to own because you'll get more for it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on January 29, 2007, 10:53:22 AM
In my example, the total price paid for the two is supposed to end up exactly the same.? In other words, after all haggling and discounts and deals etc... you will pay the exact same amount to own either.? In which case, after you sell them in 6 years, the Camry cost you less to own because you'll get more for it.
I understand that, however reality is different.  In the real world you pay less for a domestic.

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 29, 2007, 11:19:49 AM
I understand that, however reality is different.  In the real world you pay less for a domestic.

I paid roughly $16.6K for my Mazda out the door.  I probably could have gotten a similarly equipped Focus for around $14.5K-$15K.  Let's just say $14.5K.  According to KBB, my car is worth $14.6K private party.  Had I bought a Focus instead and put the same mileage and everything on it, it would be worth $9.3K private party.  If I were to sell my car today for $14.6K, it would mean that I ultimately paid $2000 + operating costs to own the car over the past 3 or so years.  If I'd bought a Focus instead and sold it today, it would have cost me $5200 + operating costs to own.  Operating costs as far as insurance and fuel should be the same between the two, so that means that the Focus actually would have ended up costing me $3200 more to own.  Domestics are cheaper, eh?
Needs more Jiggawatts

pommes-t

The fact that one of these guys liked the Opel Vectra based chassis and explicitely said so makes me doubt about their authority...  :lol: