Why did Ford give it a V-8?

Started by giant_mtb, June 10, 2005, 07:52:32 PM

giant_mtb

Why did Ford give the GT a V-8 instead of a V-10?  They could have taken a V-10 from one of their trucks, lessened the stroke, increased the bore and gotten a higher revving V-10 for a performance vehicle.  Was it so that it seemed more practical?  For development and cost reasons?

TBR

QuoteWhy did Ford give the GT a V-8 instead of a V-10?  They could have taken a V-10 from one of their trucks, lessened the stroke, increased the bore and gotten a higher revving V-10 for a performance vehicle.  Was it so that it seemed more practical?  For development and cost reasons?
Probably just cost. Besides, the V8 has plenty of power (0-60 in 3.3 seconds).  

giant_mtb

Yeah...that makes perfect sense.  I know there really is no need for a V-10, but I pondered why Ford did give it a V-8 instead of a V-10..so I thought I'd ask you guys.  :praise:  

Run Away

Probably more compact too. Plus they already have several high-performance V8s, a little bit of the Cobra R 5.4, a little bit of the Cobra Supercharger, put one plus one together and you get...
Obviously not the same supercharger, but some parts probably are interchangeable.

280Z Turbo

A V8 sounds cooler too. I always thought Vipers sounded a bit strange.

My dad fired up his 327 powered '63 Vette the other day and damn did it sound awesome. Nothing sounds quite as good as a V8, IMO.

Raza

QuoteA V8 sounds cooler too. I always thought Vipers sounded a bit strange.

My dad fired up his 327 powered '63 Vette the other day and damn did it sound awesome. Nothing sounds quite as good as a V8, IMO.
Except for maybe a flat 6.  But I love the sound a V8 makes.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

I don't know about that. I thought my straight six Z sounded pretty good with its turbo, 3" pipes and glasspack, but hearing my dad's Vette put it to shame.

6s can have a nice burble, but they can't roar like a V8.

SJ_GTI

I don't know about that. I thought my straight six Z sounded pretty good with its turbo, 3" pipes and glasspack, but hearing my dad's Vette put it to shame.

I6's are my favorite, though V8's are definitely nice.

Turbo's have their own charm of course, but its not as nice as the mechanical roar of a nice I6.

giant_mtb

Turbo's have their own charm of course, but its not as nice as the mechanical roar of a nice I6.
I don't think I've ever heard a straight 6 before.  :blink:  I actually really like the sound of big V-8 turbo diesels... :praise:   And V-8's. :lol:  

SJ_GTI

I don't think I've ever heard a straight 6 before.  :blink:  I actually really like the sound of big V-8 turbo diesels... :praise:   And V-8's. :lol:
Really?

The vast majority of BMW's have I6's, surely you have heard a BMW?

I used to love the sound of my Z3. The turbo spool on my A4 is kinda cool, but I do miss the I6 sound.

giant_mtb

Really?

I used to love the sound of my Z3. The turbo spool on my A4 is kinda cool, but I do miss the I6 sound.
Sadly, I haven't heard a BMW before...there are only about 3 in the area, and when I see them they are either parked or on the road while I'm in the car and I can't hear them.  <_<  

TBR

I suspect that is because the previous gen Viper had a completely separate exhaust system for each cylinder bank resulting in a rather unpleasant exhaust note. The new gen, however, has a x-pipe connecting everything so it is supposed to sound much better. The V10 in my dad's F-250 has a pretty decent burble for an OHC engine.  

giant_mtb

I suspect that is because the previous gen Viper had a completely separate exhaust system for each cylinder bank resulting in a rather unpleasant exhaust note. The new gen, however, has a x-pipe connecting everything so it is supposed to sound much better. The V10 in my dad's F-250 has a pretty decent burble for an OHC engine.
Is that a newer (2002-3-ish) F-250 with the Triton V-10?  :o  

Raza

Really?

The 1.8T sounds great when you're revving it hard as shit, but just bumbling through the rev range I get some warbling noise...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Really?

The 1.8T sounds great when you're revving it hard as shit, but just bumbling through the rev range I get some warbling noise...
Its a very willing little motor. I rev it up to 6k on a regular basis, and very rarely keep it under 3k (unless I am in traffic).

TBR

It is a 2000 with the 6.8l triton, I believe it makes 275 hp and 400 something lb ft of torque. It probably tows as good as a diesel, but its fuel economy is much worse (especially when towing, single digit mpg numbers are quite frequent even for small loads) and it almost definitely won't last as long

giant_mtb

It is a 2000 with the 6.8l triton, I believe it makes 275 hp and 400 something lb ft of torque. It probably tows as good as a diesel, but its fuel economy is much worse (especially when towing, single digit mpg numbers are quite frequent even for small loads) and it almost definitely won't last as long
Nice...my friend's dad has something like a 2002 F-250 with the Triton V-10.  I don't know the displacement but it's probably the same.  I really like the exhaust note of it...but...he gets about 12 mpg... :P   Very good truck, though.  Good for towing his sailboat.  :lol:  

TBR

Nice...my friend's dad has something like a 2002 F-250 with the Triton V-10.  I don't know the displacement but it's probably the same.  I really like the exhaust note of it...but...he gets about 12 mpg... :P   Very good truck, though.  Good for towing his sailboat.  :lol:
I believe it got a power boost in 2001 or 2002 (and again in 2005) but it is the same displacement. And, my dad gets 13 mpg driving like an old man.  

Raza

Really?

Its a very willing little motor. I rev it up to 6k on a regular basis, and very rarely keep it under 3k (unless I am in traffic).
So do I, but that doesn't mean that when running through corners I can't find the right damn gear.  I need a 6th.  

Oh, and 30 more horsepower couldn't hurt.  I'm mowing my fucking lawn.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

Really?

So do I, but that doesn't mean that when running through corners I can't find the right damn gear.  I need a 6th.  

Eh?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

SJ_GTI

Really?

I've considered getting a new chip for the turbo, but then I figure I am pretty hard on the engine already so why risk it. From what I have read the engine can easily run 200-215 HP with an aftermarket chip.

Raza

There's really no point.  I don't want to keep the car a day longer than I have to.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

I wouldnt get a chip.  Does it void the warranty at all?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

QuoteI wouldnt get a chip.  Does it void the warranty at all?
I think it does.  And my car is leased.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteI wouldnt get a chip.  Does it void the warranty at all?
So for the small increase in hp its not worth it to void the warranty.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

QuoteI wouldnt get a chip.  Does it void the warranty at all?
So for the small increase in hp its not worth it to void the warranty.
I agree.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

It depends how honest you are. A colleague at work here has an A4, and his was chipped. His engine blew, he put the original back in, and got a new engine under warranty.

Raza

QuoteIt depends how honest you are. A colleague at work here has an A4, and his was chipped. His engine blew, he put the original back in, and got a new engine under warranty.
Eh, that's why VW and Audi have such low JDP ratings!

Douchebags.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i