If I was in charge of Ford

Started by Payman, February 11, 2007, 05:07:47 PM

Payman

First of all, renaming the Five Hundred to Taurus, and the Freestyle to Taurus X, is a horrible idea that smacks of desperation. The Taurus name may have once been an admired and recognisable name, but now it just means "cheap Ford rental car". The current names are good, and should be kept. Same with Fusion.

Next, I would bring in the Australian Falcon, and keep the name. A large RWD family car would be a great fit in the lineup, and would give Ford a 300, Impala and G8 competitior. It would also be the basis of a Lincoln model, to compete with the Cadillac CTS and STS.

Next, I would bring over the S-Max, and Galaxy:

The S-Max is an excellent crossover and would compete with the Mazda CX-7 and GMC Acadia. The Galaxy would be a good Honda Odyssey and Chrysler competitior.

I think the Ford Ka would make a good entry level Fiesta:

As for Mercury, I would bring back the Cougar and the Capri, the latter would be a version of the new European Mondeo, and the Cougar similar to the recent show car, based on Falcon mechanicals.

Well, all that is what I would do for a start. GM is on the rebound with great product in the pipeline, and the best that Ford is doing is renaming a few models.

ifcar

Taurus doesn't mean fleet sales to most people, it just means "Ford midsize sedan." Bringing over the Galaxy would only work with a heavy restyle to make it look more like an SUV (unfortunately). Toss in bringing over the Euro Focus badged as a Mercury, and that's a nice lineup.

SaltyDog

The styling of the S-Max and Galaxy wouldn't fly in the US, but I agree with your other ideas.  As for the Euro Focus, I don't care what it's called or badged as, I just want it here.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Payman

Quote from: SaltyDog on February 11, 2007, 05:14:45 PM
The styling of the S-Max and Galaxy wouldn't fly in the US, but I agree with your other ideas.? As for the Euro Focus, I don't care what it's called or badged as, I just want it here.

Really? I think they look better than anything currently on the market here, save for the Mazda CX-7.

MX793

Quote from: Payman on February 11, 2007, 05:07:47 PM

The S-Max is an excellent crossover and would compete with the Mazda CX-7 and GMC Acadia.

Umm, the CX-7 and Acadia aren't in the same class nor do they compete with each other.  The CX-7 is like a Rav4 competitor while the Acadia is the size of a Tahoe.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on February 11, 2007, 05:33:53 PM
Umm, the CX-7 and Acadia aren't in the same class nor do they compete with each other.? The CX-7 is like a Rav4 competitor while the Acadia is the size of a Tahoe.

Okay, so keep the Edge to compete with the Acadia and CX-9, and bring over the S-Max to compete with the CX-7.
Whatever. Ford needs this crossover here.

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on February 11, 2007, 05:33:53 PM
Umm, the CX-7 and Acadia aren't in the same class nor do they compete with each other.  The CX-7 is like a Rav4 competitor while the Acadia is the size of a Tahoe.

Maybe he meant CX-9, which is a direct Acadia competitor.

TBR

Why would Ford specifically want to compete with either the CX-7 or the CX-9? Besides, Ford already has an excellet Acadia competitor in the Freestyle and you could say that the Edge competes with the midsize crossover class.

But they should bring the Galaxy over. Just slap sliders on the its doors and make it a minivan.

the Teuton

They'd at least have an entrant in a market that they pulled out if they did that.  I think it's pathetic that they completely pulled out of the minivan market altogether in America.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

3.0L V6

I would probably be fired for gross incompetence. You know, no management degrees/business degrees. Then I'd hope they give me a golden parachute. I'd buy whatever car I want. I only excel at what I know, which is what cars appeal to me.

I see trucks as work vehicles, so most of Ford's sales would be of no interest in me

Payman

Quote from: TBR on February 11, 2007, 05:51:10 PM
Why would Ford specifically want to compete with either the CX-7 or the CX-9? Besides, Ford already has an excellet Acadia competitor in the Freestyle and you could say that the Edge competes with the midsize crossover class.

But they should bring the Galaxy over. Just slap sliders on the its doors and make it a minivan.

Because it's an award winning vehicle in Europe? It would fit as an excellent entry level crossover.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Quote from: Payman on February 11, 2007, 06:48:49 PM
Because it's an award winning vehicle in Europe? It would fit as an excellent entry level crossover.

And that works so well over here (example- Contour). It isn't  really even a crossover anyway, more like a minivan with regular doors.

VetteZ06

Quote from: ifcar on February 11, 2007, 05:11:50 PM
Taurus doesn't mean fleet sales to most people, it just means "Ford midsize sedan."

I'm not so sure about that. Anybody who's had a rental car once or twice in his life has probably had the displeasure of driving a Taurus. If they don't immediately associate it with rental cars, most people still think it's cheap (for good reason).

And for some reason, I'm strangely attracted to the S-Max.

chevyguy06

I don't see a point in bringing over the S-Max and the Galaxy, the look nearly identical. :huh:
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

Payman

Quote from: TBR on February 11, 2007, 08:07:44 PM
And that works so well over here (example- Contour). It isn't? really even a crossover anyway, more like a minivan with regular doors.

Well then, it would be a good competitor for the Mazda5, which I believe is selling very well.

ifcar

Quote from: VetteZ06 on February 11, 2007, 08:08:16 PM
I'm not so sure about that. Anybody who's had a rental car once or twice in his life has probably had the displeasure of driving a Taurus. If they don't immediately associate it with rental cars, most people still think it's cheap (for good reason).

It can be quickly associated with "midsize Ford", which is more than "Five Hundred" can be. It wasn't a terrible car either.

Payman

The S-Max was on Top Gear today, and they all agreed it was a terrific vehicle... even Clarkson!

ifcar

Quote from: Payman on February 11, 2007, 08:11:53 PM
Well then, it would be a good competitor for the Mazda5, which I believe is selling very well.

That's great, except that they're mechanically identical, and Ford already owns a third of Mazda. It isn't exactly a hot seller, either.

Payman

Quote from: ifcar on February 11, 2007, 08:14:26 PM
That's great, except that they're mechanically identical, and Ford already owns a third of Mazda. It isn't exactly a hot seller, either.

Yes, but they look totally different, like the Fusion looks different than the Mazda6.

chevyguy06

Quote from: Payman on February 11, 2007, 08:16:35 PM
Yes, but they look totally different, like the Fusion looks different than the Mazda6.

Looks isn't the point. Why bring a competitor for something thats in the Ford family?
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

Payman

Quote from: chevyguy06 on February 11, 2007, 08:19:04 PM
Looks isn't the point. Why bring another competitor to a market that the Mazda5 is pretty much alone in?

So by your reasoning the Camaro and Challenger are bad ideas.

chevyguy06

The Camaro and Challenger are from different companies than what they're coming out to compete with, the Mustang.
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

Payman

chevyguy06

My point was...The Mazda5 and these 2 vehicles are in the same family, it would be dumb to bring over a car to possibly take sales away from another of your vehicles.
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

Payman

Quote from: chevyguy06 on February 11, 2007, 08:23:39 PM
The Camaro and Challenger are from different companies than what they're coming out to compete with, the Mustang.

Okay, so we'll never see another Mercury Cougar?

chevyguy06

'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

Payman

Quote from: chevyguy06 on February 11, 2007, 08:28:21 PM
My point was...The Mazda5 and these 2 vehicles are in the same family, it would be dumb to bring over a car to possibly take sales away from another of your vehicles.

That's like saying the Grand Prix takes sales away from the Impala. Not everyone has the same taste in design, so you want to offer a few variations on the same platform. Nearly every car company does it.

chevyguy06

I don't see a point in Ford competing with 2 cars in a segment they have sole control over. (Mini-mini-vans)
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

VetteZ06