Lol...

Started by VTEC_Inside, February 12, 2007, 04:07:34 PM

VTEC_Inside

Couldn't think of a better title, sorry.

So I'm driving along, in the left hand lane, traffic is pretty dense, so lane choice was kinda irrelevant.

Traffic starts to clear and the right lane opens up. I'm behind two pickups in the left lane, so I signal to the right and speed up a bit (well a little more than a bit, but nothing drastic)  to try and get around them. Wasn't going to happen so I braked back down to normal speed never comming close to the vehicle in front of me in the right lane or even motioning to go left.

Eventually I had to get to the left lane again to make an upcomming turn, so I throw my signal on as I am ever so slightly in front of the first truck I was behind and its kinda tight. I give it a sec and he's left room so I make the lane change.

Now I'm in the right of two lanes that will be making a left turn. The pickup that just let me in has gone to the left most lane AGAIN and has stopped more or less beside me with his window down. So I roll my window down to here what this guy has to say.

He starts off saying that I was "swerving quite a bit back there". Ok, I made one lane change in the last 4min, but whatever, and that he "has a baby in the back" and that I should "calm down", or something to that effect. All the while being pretty polite.

I replied, "well if you are concerned for your baby shouldn't you be driving along in the right lane such that you don't hold up traffic?". Here is where it gets funny, his reply "GO FUCK YOURSELF!", LMAO!! From so calm to so angry in a split second. I replied "I'll try that when I get home", but I don't think he heard me.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

TheIntrepid

I thought we Ontarians were more polite than that.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

93JC

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 12, 2007, 04:14:11 PM
I thought we Ontarians were more polite than that.

Meh. Us Albertans think you Ontarians are all assholes. :lol: :P

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 93JC on February 12, 2007, 04:19:43 PM
Meh. Us Albertans think you Ontarians are all assholes. :lol: :P

:cheers:

I can be an ass on the road if I'm late or angry.

ifcar

If he's being polite, you should be polite. "I'm sorry, I'll be more careful in the future." Or even "I'm sorry you feel that way, but I feel I was driving safely." Never be rude to a stranger, you never know what you're dealing with.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: ifcar on February 12, 2007, 04:45:32 PM
If he's being polite, you should be polite. "I'm sorry, I'll be more careful in the future." Or even "I'm sorry you feel that way, but I feel I was driving safely." Never be rude to a stranger, you never know what you're dealing with.

Thats the thing. I wasn't being a dick about it when I replied. I just suggested politely that he should probably be driving in the right lane if hes is in fact that concerned.

ifcar

Never critique a stranger's habits to his face.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: ifcar on February 12, 2007, 05:02:15 PM

I suppose thats good advice. BUT, when its suggested that I was driving in a reckless manner by someone hogging the left lane, I feel pretty good about having reacted as calmly as I did.

GoCougs

As hard as it is, the best reaction is no reaction. Ifcar is correct, you never know what you'll attract.

Anyone who makes the effort to make contact because of a driving situation on the road (barring an accident or some such) is looking for a reaction. Giving them one feeds the fire which can get out of control in a hurry.

Minpin

Quote from: GoCougs on February 12, 2007, 05:33:09 PM
As hard as it is, the best reaction is no reaction. Ifcar is correct, you never know what you'll attract.

Anyone who makes the effort to make contact because of a driving situation on the road (barring an accident or some such) is looking for a reaction. Giving them one feeds the fire which can get out of control in a hurry.

So? I find it pretty hilarious when people do shit like this. Its entertaining to piss them off.  :P
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

ifcar

Quote from: Minpin on February 12, 2007, 06:42:27 PM
So? I find it pretty hilarious when people do shit like this. Its entertaining to piss them off.  :P

Until you piss off someone with a gun.

Minpin

Quote from: ifcar on February 12, 2007, 06:43:20 PM

Eh, they would miss anyways.  :praise: I'm just joking around, i would never provoke someone  :evildude:. Just ranting because left lane hoggers piss me off.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

nickdrinkwater

I would have told him to fuck off as well, but people don't generally carry guns in this country.

J86

I may have told him to bugger off, but that's because Im young and stupid. :lol:

TheIntrepid

I may do moronic things at times but even I know better than to provoke or be rude to a stranger. You never know who'd have a gun. Yesterday a guy in a 3.2TL didn't go at a green, so I flickered the lights a bit then tapped the horn lightly. It was only when he gave me the finger through the window that I saw he was black and pissed. I got scared.

Raghavan

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 12, 2007, 08:04:35 PM
I may do moronic things at times but even I know better than to provoke or be rude to a stranger. You never know who'd have a gun. Yesterday a guy in a 3.2TL didn't go at a green, so I flickered the lights a bit then tapped the horn lightly. It was only when he gave me the finger through the window that I saw he was black and pissed. I got scared.
What does him being black have to do with anything? Do black people scare you? :rolleyes:

TheIntrepid

When they are angry, they give me the finger and are dressed like gangsters yes.

Raghavan

Well, if they are dressed like gangsters, they can be white, black, mexican, whatever, i'll still be scared.
Though if it were an indian guy dressed up like a gangster, i'd be laughing my ass off all day. :lol:
BTW, gangsters can afford 3.2TL's?

93JC

That's preposterous. Someone with a gun... in Canada?

:nutty:

TurboDan

I don't think I've ever actually rolled down my window to talk/yell to another driver while driving. 

There was only one time I ever yelled at someone out a window:  One time, I was driving on a small-town road near the beach.  The road was semi-busy because it was the summer, and there was an middle aged guy attempting to cross the street in the middle of traffic.  Obviously, he had no right of way, and was basically just trying to walk out in the middle of the road because he was too lazy to walk a block to a traffic light.  He proceeded to yell "SLOW DOWN" and rant and rave at every car that went by.  Since it was a 25MPH road, you could hear the guy yell at everyone.  I rolled down my window and told him "that's what crosswalks are for you idiot" or something like that.

Once, someone rolled down their window on a highway to yell something at me after I beeped my horn at them after they cut me off while changing lanes.  I didn't roll down my window.  My finger did the talking.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on February 12, 2007, 08:29:50 PM
That's preposterous. Someone with a gun... in Canada?

:nutty:

Isn't it law that all Canadians have to carry a rifle to fend off polar bear attacks?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

I've found through trial and error that it's just not worth the hassle to respond or to initiate any contact whatsoever with other drivers, save for using the horn to prevent an accident.

I've had a few instances where people have followed me to my destination, and either gave me the stare-down, or left a not-so-nice note on my windshield. It's simply not worth the hassle, or worth the 1 in a 1000 chance of locking horns with a psycho.

Further, I don't understand this sudden fasination with firearms and traffic confrontations. I have a concealed pistol license, and fail to see the connection for it and a prediliction for initiating violent traffic confrontations.

93JC

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7710.msg363364#msg363364 date=1171408394
Isn't it law that all Canadians have to carry a rifle to fend off polar bear attacks?

Why would we need guns to fend off bears?

Again, preposterous: we could kill bears with our own hands. Why do you think we kicked your ass in 1812?

J86

Quote from: 93JC on February 13, 2007, 04:42:40 PM
Why would we need guns to fend off bears?

Again, preposterous: we could kill bears with our own hands. Why do you think we kicked your ass in 1812?

You keep bringing up 1812, let it go dude, or do you want John Candy to invade you again?

TheIntrepid

Quote from: J86 on February 13, 2007, 04:47:23 PM
You keep bringing up 1812, let it go dude, or do you want John Candy to invade you again?

:lol:

93JC

John Candy?

John Candy was a covert Canadian agent, like most of the people we send down there.

dsred

Quote from: ifcar on February 12, 2007, 05:02:15 PM

Huh? Didn't the "other guy" violate this "rule" first? He's lucky I wasn't there...

dsred

How do they know I don't have a gun?

dsred

Quote from: GoCougs on February 13, 2007, 04:17:15 PM

I've had a few instances where people have followed me to my destination, and either gave me the stare-down, or left a not-so-nice note on my windshield. It's simply not worth the hassle, or worth the 1 in a 1000 chance of locking horns with a psycho.

If anyone EVER follows me to my "destination" then it's on...basically you have to confront them because generally speaking they're cowards who will come back and do something to your car later. I confront them, let them know why, jot down their license number and tell them if they don't get lost NOW or if something happens to my car I'll be calling the Police.

Rupert

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 12, 2007, 08:04:35 PM

Oh no! Black people! <shifty eyes>
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA