So, I've decided to paint my own car...

Started by Soup DeVille, February 13, 2007, 09:19:18 PM

Soup DeVille

I've begun stripping the chrome off the Caddy myself, after arrangements with another body guy fell through. I've never really tried to tackle my own body work, being content with getting my knuckles all scraped and bloody on all the greasy bits inside the sheetmetal, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

I figure I can only screw it up so bad, right?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

Hopefully you know someone who knows what they're doing, so you don't orange peel the whole thing.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

I think I started a thread a while back about painting my Z. You should look that up.

EDIT: Here it is. Take a look:

http://www.carspin.net/forums/the-garage/thinking-about-new-paint-for-the-z-taking-color-suggestions.0.html

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on February 13, 2007, 09:22:11 PM
Hopefully you know someone who knows what they're doing, so you don't orange peel the whole thing.

Nope, I mean I know several people who have painted their own race cars, but those weren't exactly the quality I'm shooting for if you know what I mean.

I'm relying heavily on how to books. I know it sounds cheezy, but I tore down my first transmission that same way as well, and that worked.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7727.msg363659#msg363659 date=1171427021
Blood is so hard to get out of clothing.

Vinegar works pretty well.

the Teuton

I have a friend who graduated from Wyotech who owes me a free paint job eventually.  I'm sure you'll be fine, but there are always details in auto detailing and painting that people forget.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on February 13, 2007, 09:28:22 PM
I have a friend who graduated from Wyotech who owes me a free paint job eventually.? I'm sure you'll be fine, but there are always details in auto detailing and painting that people forget.

I've tried getting hold of a few different schools like that, figuring students need project cars; but I haven't had any luck.

But, I think I'm more willing to take the chance that I'll screw the paint up and learn something rather than some student screw the paint up and learn something, you know?

the Teuton

Up to a point.  My Alma Mater has a kick-ass autobody program.  I'm sure you could search out a local high school if you wanted.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 13, 2007, 09:30:17 PM
Thanks! Have any after pics?

I haven't done anything yet.

I need to secure funds first before I start chipping away at old bondo and sanding the old finish.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 13, 2007, 09:35:00 PM
I haven't done anything yet.

I need to secure funds first before I start chipping away at old bondo and sanding the old finish.

Understandable. This car isn't my driver though, and has a nice warm spot in the garage, so it's not like I'll be dooming myself to driving a half primered wildebeast when I run out of cash.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on February 13, 2007, 09:34:31 PM
Up to a point.? My Alma Mater has a kick-ass autobody program.? I'm sure you could search out a local high school if you wanted.

I did that, to no avail. Apparently, the few around here that actually have an autobody program only work on donated cars.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 13, 2007, 09:38:13 PM
I did that, to no avail. Apparently, the few around here that actually have an autobody program only work on donated cars.

Have you tried pulling a gun?  That always seems to get me where I want to go.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7727.msg363700#msg363700 date=1171428123
Have you tried pulling a gun?? That always seems to get me where I want to go.

Always good advice from you, Raza.

the Teuton

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on February 13, 2007, 09:23:41 PM
Blood is so hard to get out of clothing.

I was going to say how, fortunately, blood is easy to get off a shovel, but now it seems kind of cliche.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

southdiver1

1: Get some disposable rubber gloves. They are uncomfortable but, it is better then getting chemicals in your skin

2: Look on ebay, Craigslist, ect for a good HVLP setup. You can live with one gun if you get multiple tips for the Primer, the paint, and the clear

3: Remember the Acetone.  Clean the gun ALOT after every use. Clean it inbetween coats of paint and whatever you do, don't let the clearcoat sit in anything that you are not prepared to throw away.

4: Dixie cups and toung (sp) depressers are great for mixing. Those are the big popsicle stick looking things)

5: Get some kind af a sealable container to dump waste product in. You don't want to dump paint/clear down the drain.

6: As I am sure you have heard, a good paint job is 90% prep work. I will go further by saying it is 99% prep work. Laying paint and clear is actually pretty easy but with a crap surface, it will be a crap job no matter how good you are.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: southdiver1 on February 14, 2007, 08:38:02 AM
1: Get some disposable rubber gloves. They are uncomfortable but, it is better then getting chemicals in your skin

2: Look on ebay, Craigslist, ect for a good HVLP setup. You can live with one gun if you get multiple tips for the Primer, the paint, and the clear

3: Remember the Acetone.? Clean the gun ALOT after every use. Clean it inbetween coats of paint and whatever you do, don't let the clearcoat sit in anything that you are not prepared to throw away.

4: Dixie cups and toung (sp) depressers are great for mixing. Those are the big popsicle stick looking things)

5: Get some kind af a sealable container to dump waste product in. You don't want to dump paint/clear down the drain.

6: As I am sure you have heard, a good paint job is 90% prep work. I will go further by saying it is 99% prep work. Laying paint and clear is actually pretty easy but with a crap surface, it will be a crap job no matter how good you are.

Good advice, but I'm still trying to get the prep work underway. I've been heaering diffferent things about what grit the car should be blocked in before primer is laid down.

SaltyDog

I'm a fan of rattlecan jobs(though I've never actually done one) but it sounds like you can do better.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SaltyDog on February 17, 2007, 10:24:33 AM
I'm a fan of rattlecan jobs(though I've never actually done one) but it sounds like you can do better.

It remains to be seen whether or not I can, but I sure hope so!

ChrisV

Prep is everything to getting a good paint job (I had my own shop doing it for a decade, and have done all my paint jobs myself). here's a thread where i answered about prep work to get a good job at home or at Maaco:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=154272

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Oh, and don't worry about orange peel. It's easier to deal with than runs and sags or dirt. Most new(er) cars have a bit of orange peel right from the factory, it's part of how paint is applied. In order to eliminate it, you HAVE to put on more paint and then wet sand the orange peel out and buff it.

Spraying paint is a matter of having a good eye and understanding the material you're working with. Always start woth the roof and work your way down and around (roof, hood, decklid, rear fender to front fender, then around front fender to rear. Start with one light "mist coat" and let that tack up. then spray 2-3 medium wet coats, going for coverage not gloss. then get a wetter coat going for gloss, but not so much you get sags. Let it be a bit orange peely, as you will take care of that later.

if you are doing a base coat/clear coat process, do NOT go for gloss with the color. Just go for even coverage. Metallics are even more critical with this, as you want the metallic to lay down evenly and not stripe or mottle, which it WILL do if laid down wet. let the clear bring out the gloss, and spar it as I said above (light mist coat to get tacky, then 2-3 medium wet coats for build, along with a wet coat for gloss. let it get tacky in between coats. When it's tacky, it's less likely to run and sag)

You can do it. It's not rocket science, but it does require a good eye and care in prep and spraying.

The Pirate

That looks awesome Chris!  :ohyeah:

How is the Bimmer treating you as well?  Had any opportunities for road trips yet?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ChrisV

Quote from: The Pirate on February 20, 2007, 09:51:08 AM
That looks awesome Chris!  :ohyeah:

Thanks!

QuoteHow is the Bimmer treating you as well?  Had any opportunities for road trips yet?

It's gone nowhere in the snow/ice. In fact, it's locked into the driveway right now due to the snow having frozen around it, and can't really even be dug out (at least not with a snow shovel). I'm using the Range Rover right now. Can't wait till things melt around here.

southdiver1

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 16, 2007, 08:52:39 PM
Good advice, but I'm still trying to get the prep work underway. I've been heaering diffferent things about what grit the car should be blocked in before primer is laid down.

I use 600 before the primer and 1000 on the primer itself. As Chris mentioned, use multiple coats of paint instead of one or two really heavy coats.  Drips in the paint are a pain to get out but several "dustings" are way better then a single "blob".
If you can swing it, maybe you can get a junkyard hood or a fender to practice on with the primer, paint, and clear before hitting your own car?
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

Soup DeVille

Thanks guys, here's another question for you then. The car cam with the normal side trim and chrome trim around the wheel wells, which I plan on removing. The problem is that these aren't glued on, so I'll have to be filling in holes. I keep hearing different opinions, whether I have to get someone to weld them in or not.

Eye of the Tiger

Are you saying the chrome trim is rivited on? In that case, yes, the best thing you can do is weld the holes. Bondo would probably fall out of holes after a while.

On a side not, I heard Maaco has an $89.99 special going on  :mask:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on February 20, 2007, 05:07:58 PM
Are you saying the chrome trim is rivited on? In that case, yes, the best thing you can do is weld the holes. Bondo would probably fall out of holes after a while.

On a side not, I heard Maaco has an $89.99 special going on? :mask:

Actually, I've just gotten the trim of, and its welded studs- I don't see any problem with grinding them flush and then bondo-ing it just a little to smooth things out.