Who the hell DOES this?

Started by TheIntrepid, February 14, 2007, 12:51:13 PM

TheIntrepid

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/mercedes/0/82679403-d511-4976-b2dc-9881000a892c.htm

Who the hell does this? I know Wimmer's going to cry. This guy shouldn't be allowed to drive a Benz.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

the Teuton

The Mercedes lost the battle, but it doesn't have a blown radiator either.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

GoCougs

Sure-fire way to blow out a transfer case.

the Teuton

And fry your clutch in the case of the Ford...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

pommes-t

Gotta love how this guy says: "Mrrrseydies"

Did he say: "She's fuckin steamin like a cocksucker"? WTF?? :lol: :lol: :rockon:

GOddamn rednecks. Wimmer won't cry, because it's such a crappy detuned US 560 one... Anyways: I would have expected it would be a matter of grip so that the F150 would win clearly...

TheIntrepid

Quote from: pommes-t on February 14, 2007, 02:18:20 PM
Gotta love how this guy says: "Mrrrseydies"

How do you guys say it?

I say MER "like in "girl" --CE as in "say" -- DEES like "bees"

pommes-t

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 14, 2007, 02:29:06 PM
How do you guys say it?

difficult question....

Mer (like "yeah) ze (like "ts and then like Spanish "que") des (like yes)...

I am a bad online german pronounciation teacher....  :mask:

ifcar

Quote from: pommes-t on February 14, 2007, 02:37:08 PM
difficult question....

Mer (like "yeah) ze (like "ts and then like Spanish "que") des (like yes)...

I am a bad online german pronounciation teacher....  :mask:

Meh-TZAY-dess?

pommes-t

Quote from: ifcar on February 14, 2007, 02:39:26 PM
Meh-TZAY-dess?

hmmm.... I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOzcPpYkXp0

Right at the beginning the speaker says "Basis der sicheren Fahreigenschaften von Mercedes Benz..."
There you can hear it...  :lol:

93JC

I always thought it was something like 'mair-say-days bents'. Or, at least, that's how 'Mercedes' is pronounced in the original Spanish.

At least it's reasonably close to English. Unlike, say, VW. To us it's 'vee-double-you', whereas in German it's... 'fow-vay'?

pommes-t

Quote from: 93JC on February 14, 2007, 02:58:36 PM
I always thought it was something like 'mair-say-days bents'. Or, at least, that's how 'Mercedes' is pronounced in the original Spanish.

At least it's reasonably close to English. Unlike, say, VW. To us it's 'vee-double-you', whereas in German it's... 'fow-vay'?

The Spanish Mercedes pronouncation (where the name is, as you say is originally from) is differently again I think. The r should be rolled, the c should be like in english, but the rest should be pretty german like IMO.

And yep, we say "Fow-vay"  :lol:

850CSi

Quote from: pommes-t on February 14, 2007, 03:09:53 PM
The Spanish Mercedes pronouncation (where the name is, as you say is originally from) is differently again I think. The r should be rolled, the c should be like in english, but the rest should be pretty german like IMO.

The 'c' in castillian Spanish (considered to be the most proper) is actually like an english 'th' in 'throw' whenever there's an 'i' or 'e' after it.

850CSi

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 14, 2007, 02:29:06 PM
How do you guys say it?

That's how I say it.

850CSi

Quote from: 93JC on February 14, 2007, 02:58:36 PM
To us it's 'vee-double-you', whereas in German it's... 'fow-vay'?

I think it would be weird in Spanish...

Beh-doblay-beh?  :lol:

93JC

I still have trouble pronouncing Volkswagen 'properly'. To most anglophones it's 'vohks-wag-on' (indeed, lots of people spell it Volkswagon), but I know it's supposed to be 'folks-vahg-en'.  Pronouncing that 'l' is especially difficult, since the 'l's in every word in English with 'olk' or 'alk' in it are silent (i.e. you don't pronounce the 'l's in talk, walk, folk, etc.).

93JC

Quote from: 850CSi on February 14, 2007, 03:29:10 PM
I think it would be weird in Spanish...

Beh-doblay-beh?? :lol:

Depends on the regional variety of Spanish. Some make more of a distinction between 'b' and 'v', some don't, and there are lots of names for both 'v' and 'w'.

'w' in particular has many names. 'doble v', 'v doble', 'doble u', 'u doble', etc.

In French it would be 'vay-doo-bluh-vay'.

giant_mtb

Stupid ricer...look at that ghastly exhaust pipe and those sweet rimz!  :lockedup:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 14, 2007, 03:44:58 PM
Stupid ricer...look at that ghastly exhaust pipe and those sweet rimz!  :lockedup:

It's a 'Renntech'... or so he claims on Facebook.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on February 14, 2007, 03:30:52 PM
I still have trouble pronouncing Volkswagen 'properly'. To most anglophones it's 'vohks-wag-on' (indeed, lots of people spell it Volkswagon), but I know it's supposed to be 'folks-vahg-en'.  Pronouncing that 'l' is especially difficult, since the 'l's in every word in English with 'olk' or 'alk' in it are silent (i.e. you don't pronounce the 'l's in talk, walk, folk, etc.).

I pronounce it the American way:  "Volks" with a vuh sound and it rhymes "folks" and then I say wagon.  Sometimes, for kicks, I say "folks-vahg-en".  I also vary with Porsche, saying both "Porsh" and "Porsh uh".  Usually I say the latter when I say something after it (like Boxster, 911, et al), but if I'm just saying Porsche I usually say the former.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

What would have happened if the Mercedes has a better set of tires on it?

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BimmerM3

Quote from: 850CSi on February 14, 2007, 05:57:41 PM
I always say Porsh uh

My favorite t-shirt says "Porsche is a two-syllable word" on the back.

Colonel Cadillac

I usually stick to Raza's way of saying Porsche. Too few people actually know the "uh" to make me really care.

Raza

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on February 20, 2007, 08:39:28 PM
I usually stick to Raza's way of saying Porsche. Too few people actually know the "uh" to make me really care.

Like I said, I say both.  Depends on what comes after it.  Like "the" and "the(e)".

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 14, 2007, 12:51:13 PM
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/mercedes/0/82679403-d511-4976-b2dc-9881000a892c.htm

Who the hell does this? I know Wimmer's going to cry. This guy shouldn't be allowed to drive a Benz.

My Caddy could take that Benz...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

It's like anything in German.  Once you start learning the language it becomes harder not to pronounce it like the German Gods wanted you to.  Braun should be pronounced "brown," not "brawn." There are no silent Es in German and everything is pronounced like it is spelled unless the word wasn't originally German.

ro51092