Project Car...The Beetle.

Started by JWC, February 15, 2007, 07:12:19 PM

Raghavan

the Teuton

Quote from: Raghavan on February 20, 2007, 01:16:34 PM
How'd that happen?

The guy just parked it, and then his car just shot up in flames.  I got there after the firemen had already left (I know, I'm a bad journalist), but from what I saw it looks like it started at the front of the engine, so I'm guessing either something with the battery or radiator.  It smelled a fair amount.  For a different pic, go to pittnews.com.  I'm saving the rest of mine for the next photo competition.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Hey now, I've seen plenty of "good" cars go up in flames. Like a Mustang GT, a Hyundai Elantra, and some fancy looking SUV that was so melted I couldn't tell what it used to be.
You can't dis the K-car til you've pwned one!
I think they're great pieces of crap. I might even get myself an Aries wagon and put a turbo in it someday.
:lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on February 20, 2007, 01:50:32 PM
Hey now, I've seen plenty of "good" cars go up in flames. Like a Mustang GT, a Hyundai Elantra, and some fancy looking SUV that was so melted I couldn't tell what it used to be.
I think they're great pieces of crap. I might even get myself an Aries wagon and put a turbo in it someday.

My dad had a 1993 Dodge Dynasty.  That counts.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Pancor

Hmmm.. 1st gen Miata?  The performance possibilities are endless, though they might not be as unique as what you're aiming for. 

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

JWC

Prelude update:

He can't drive, but doesn't want to sell it.  His mom is going to talk to him about it.

On the VW front, I've got a couple of leads on a few sedans.  There is a listing this week in the local bargain trader for two sedans, one Baja and one Super.  I want to stay away from Supers unless the price/condition is right.  They are not as easy or as cheap to drop the front end.

ChrisV

Quote from: JWC on February 21, 2007, 04:18:29 PM

On the VW front, I've got a couple of leads on a few sedans.  There is a listing this week in the local bargain trader for two sedans, one Baja and one Super.  I want to stay away from Supers unless the price/condition is right.  They are not as easy or as cheap to drop the front end.

Um, they are EASIER to drop the front ends on.

'72 Super Beetle:

15 minutes and $0 dollars dropped the front 4" Daily driver, smooth ride.

Supers are very easy to work on and their suspension makes it easier to add good brakes etc to. I prefer the flat window '71-72, as they tend to look like older Bugs. But you could make a killer road race/autocross style Bug from a round window Super.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

L. ed foote

Quote from: NACar on February 20, 2007, 01:50:32 PM

Check Gus' old website.  Jeez, just realized he's been gone 5 years now.
Member, Self Preservation Society

Raza

What's the difference between a Beetle and a Super Beetle?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on February 23, 2007, 09:32:53 AM
What's the difference between a Beetle and a Super Beetle?

Super beetles have a longer nose with Macpherson strut front suspension vs the torsion leaves of the earlier cars. Essentially the suspension is the same as used in the 924, which allows 944 parts to be used fairly easily. The '71-72 Supers have flat front windshields, thus being identical to regular Beetles from the windshield back. '73-up Supers have round windshields with a different dash. the one I posted above was a '72 flat window. This is a '73-up round window:

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JWC

Chris is correct about dropping the front.

I forgot about "adjust-a-struts". :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ChrisV on February 23, 2007, 08:24:42 AM

Supers are very easy to work on and their suspension makes it easier to add good brakes etc to. I prefer the flat window '71-72, as they tend to look like older Bugs. But you could make a killer road race/autocross style Bug from a round window Super.

In the rust belt states, supers are known for rusting out the upper strut mounts.

As another point- the round windshield Bugs have a slightly better drag coefficient. Probably not enough to matter unless you're trying to set a speed record.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JWC

My last Super was a '71.  When I replaced the glass in it, the windshield was only $50.00. 

I'm going to look at a '75 Super tomorrow.  I doubt I'll buy it though. After I got directions to the guy's house, I realized his address isn't too far from the beach.  I'm guessing that it will be rust city. 

There is a Karman Ghia in the Trader today for less than a grand.  Says it was "running when parked" but engine compression was very low.  Probably didn't know how to adjust the valves.  Unfortunately, it is amost fifty miles from my house.  I would also have to borrow the wrecker from the dealership to get it home.

JWC

BTW, the reason I got rid of my '71 was because of a rusted out pan head.  To repair it would have required a donor car and a lot of welding.  That car was from Rochester NY. 

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ro51092

I saw a Karmann Ghia with a 996 engine swap. Damn, that was awesome. It's in the engine swap thread.

JWC

Just as I thought, rusted out garbage, wouldn't even be worth getting as a parts donor.

Several people had told me of a VW Bug sitting behind a building in a nearby town, so on the way home I drove around over there.  Sure, enough, there was a Bug sitting behind a trucking company.  I stopped in and found out the owner's name, but he turns out to be out of town until Monday.  (He made a run to Florida for strawberries.)   

The car itself is almost too perfect.  Perfect enough that fresh gas, oil, and a battery, and I could drive it home.  Just some light rust in some corners, no rusted out floor pans, no dents or dings, interior is still original and not torn.  Has no license plate, so I know the guy isn't driving it.  Problem is, there has to be a reason he's holding on to it.  Either it is sentimental reasons or he wants more than it is worth.  I'd give him 1500.00 for it as it sits, not even knowing if it runs.

The only drawback for me is that it has OEM air conditioning.  All that has to come out.  Being in that good of shape though, would save me some money right off the top. 

Raza

What's wrong with the aircon?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JWC

Quote from: Raza  on February 24, 2007, 12:43:26 PM
What's wrong with the aircon?

Air conditioning on a Bug was a power killer and an engine killer.....

JWC

I'm trying not to get too excited over this current find....but it is hard not to get excited.  The fact that the interior is in great shape saves me time and money....especially time.  I just can't believe that I found a completely intact (original) Bug locally.   

I also took a ride around some areas that I had seen Bugs in the past, sitting in people's yards or under shelters.  None were to be seen, but what I did see was pretty interesting.   

For example:

3 1967-68 Torino fastbacks. (not running)
1 MGB-GT (not running)
4 Datsun 240Z or 260Z's in the very back of one yard.  At the front was a custom 240Z sitting next to a Datsun 521 pickup. Couldn't tell how many of these were driveable.
2 Benz 280 sedans that appeared to have been completely restored.  I almost stopped at the house just to check them out.

Amazing what is just sitting around farms here collecting rust....well, except for the Mercedes.

JWC

Something interesting also happened Friday.  An antique dealer came into the dealership and we got to talking.  I mentioned that I had this:

He said it could be worth some money, but it was hard to say just based on my description.  So, I took a photo and loaded it on the computer at work Friday.  He came by to pick up his truck and I showed him the photo.

His eyes widen, as if he was surprised, and told me that the Camel sign is worth about 1500.00.   The license plate, in spite of its damage is about $100.  The Camel sign is going to be sold to help finance the project car.  Damn thing has been hanging on the office wall for ten years, it may as well reimburse me for that wall space. :lol:

Raza

Wow!  Too bad you are selling it though, that's a totally cool sign.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SaltyDog

Crazy idea, but you can a new Beetle in Mexico for cheap and a used Beetle in Mexico for very cheap.  How about a vacation for the wife and a whimsical aquistion while your in the area?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

SaltyDog

Quote from: Raza  on February 25, 2007, 10:27:58 PM
Wow!  Too bad you are selling it though, that's a totally cool sign.

It is.  The design, colors, and theme are cool as shit.  Too bad it's all propaghanda and is behind a dangerous product. 

But ironically I'm about to step out and smoke a Camel.  Though it's only a light!

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ChrisV

Quote from: JWC on February 23, 2007, 04:04:00 PM
Chris is correct about dropping the front.

I forgot about "adjust-a-struts". :lol:

I didn't use adjust a struts. Just cut coils and used rabbit strut inserts. ;)

Good luck with the Bug. It may be the guys' project that he's waiting on money to finish it.

I wouldn't mind another ghia shell to start with, but man, I have enough projects. I need to unload my Falcon so I can start on my Comet... ;)

JWC

In a thread a few weeks ago, I mentioned a VW convertible for 1200.00 that looked pretty rough from the photos.  The guy bought it for his daughter 12 years ago, but she didn't want it.  He drove it into an old barn on his farm and left it there, planning to rebuild it.  He wants the space in the barn for something else.  It hasn't been run in twelve years, the top is rotten and the seats are rotten.  There are spots of rust here and there all over it. 

Well, I got to talking to the wife last night...and it hit me.  The guy lowered the price to 1k, so unless it ist really, really rough, I could do a cosmetic restoration on the thing and flip it and make a thousand off of it, maybe even more and fiance the next VW.  We are traveling tomorrow to see it in person.

I'm going to give it a really good once over and make a decision on it.

(The problem is, if it looks decent and it doesn't take much to get her going and decent looking...I just know I will want to keep it).

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SaltyDog on February 26, 2007, 03:18:11 AM
Crazy idea, but you can a new Beetle in Mexico for cheap and a used Beetle in Mexico for very cheap.? How about a vacation for the wife and a whimsical aquistion while your in the area?

From what I've heard, the late model Mexican Beetles aren't that snazzy- while the body is still there, a lot of the bits and pieces were cheapened and replaced with chintsy plastic pieces from other VW models.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JWC

The last Beetles was hampered by smog and plastic.  Still, those Mexican/Brazil Beetles are what kept all the old Bugs going for decades later.  Basically, everything underneath was the same, so it becomes a good basis for a project....if I keep it.  If not, I'm not putting a great deal of money into it, just enough to make it presentable and saleable.

I'll have to admit, I've always had a fondness for the "Cal-Look" Bugs.  No big ass spoilers, visors, or crap like that. Just the little things that clean up the lines.  One piece windows, dropped front, Empi wheels, shaved chrome strips,etc.