Project Car...The Beetle.

Started by JWC, February 15, 2007, 07:12:19 PM

JWC

I may have found a "project car".  I've been looking at air-cooled Beetles.  I was planning to head to Elizabeth City NC in the next couple of weeks.  One of my co-workers and Zcarnut (remember him) told me about a shop/garage/business of some type, that had a couple of dozen Beetles, most,  if not all, are for sale.

Tonight I get home and the 17yo across the street is watching his little brother ride his bike around the yard.  I stopped and talked to him.  He has a 1988 Prelude Si.  I was just curious if it had a auto trans or a five-speed.  During the conversation, I mentioned that I noticed he hadn't driven it lately.  He said it had a cracked radiator.  I know he isn't mechanically inclined and asked what he was going to do with it.  He said he didn't know. I said that if you decide to sell it, let me know.  Turns out, if his mom is OK with it, he might just sale it.

I was talking to my wife about it before she left for work.  Seems that isn't the whole story.  The state pulled the kid's license for getting four speeding tickets within a year.  He can't drive it anyway, for another year or so.

The body is straight. The interior needs seats and carpeting. I presume it needs a radiator, but hard to tell if it needs anything else.  Nice thing about this car is that it hasn't been "riced". It is completely stock, even the wheels. I'm planning on talking to his mom it this weekend.

At a 110k+ miles, as well as what I know the car needs, I'm thinking that it shouldn't be worth more than $500-600. 

What do you guys think?

Also, I've looked over some Honda parts sites, but who do you Honda guys recommend for parts.  Someplace reliable and affordable.

I know what VW's cost to redo, I've done several.   Mind you, I'm just thinking about this and I'm trying to get an idea of what I'd be getting into dollar-wise. 

Thanks.

BTW, this is like the third car I've found and the one most likely where the owner is willing to part with it.  I thought I had found a 240Z, well I did find it, but the owner is letting it rot untill he decides to restore it.  If he keeps waiting, he may as well sell it for scrap. 

The wife's a little peeved though. I told her that even if I get the Prelude, I'm still buying a Beetle this summer.

SaltyDog

Do you know which engine it has?  All the honda guys say to steer clear of the 2.1L

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

S204STi

Sounds like a fun car, not my type, but fun anyway.  Personally I would rather stick with the aircooled VW, maybe a Karman Ghia with a built motor making around 200hp.

The Pirate

Yeah, SaltyDog is right, the 2.1L engine is prone to burning oil a lot.

If it's the 2.0, it's a pretty solid engine, and they are great handling cars.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

JWC

No, not sure which engine, but I worked for a Honda dealer from 84-89 and I only recall the 2.0 in 1988.

The Pirate

Yeah, I just looked it up, and the 2.1 was only available in 1990 and 1991.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

JWC

Quote from: The Pirate on February 15, 2007, 07:53:45 PM
Yeah, I just looked it up, and the 2.1 was only available in 1990 and 1991.

That sounds about right.

Raza

Personally, I'm not a fan of that generation Prelude.  I'd just go for the Beetle (or a Ghia!).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

The Prelude will not be a money maker, but it could be a good driver. Bugs are much better for projects if you want to end up selling them (like you' I've built many. Over 30 aircooled VWs, to be honest).
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

etypeJohn

Quote from: ChrisV on February 16, 2007, 07:28:25 AM
The Prelude will not be a money maker, but it could be a good driver. Bugs are much better for projects if you want to end up selling them (like you' I've built many. Over 30 aircooled VWs, to be honest).

I don't know.  I'm picturing that qualude with the FWD yanked out and a 4.6 Ford engine five speed and rear end.   ;)

Raza

Quote from: etypeJohn on February 16, 2007, 08:11:16 AM
I don't know.  I'm picturing that qualude with the FWD yanked out and a 4.6 Ford engine five speed and rear end.   ;)

Now I'm just picturing quaaludes.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: ChrisV on February 16, 2007, 07:28:25 AM

I might be selling my EJ18 if it's in good enough condition in the spring.  A 110+ hp, 6000 rpm, water-cooled Beetle would be kind of interesting if someone is up for the project.  I've seen it done before.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

280Z Turbo

I don't think anybody wants a rotten first gen Z unless they want to practice welding and brazing anyway. I think it's better just to get a car from California.

I'm not sure how much an old Volkswagen costs to restore, but old Zs are pretty cheap since most of the parts are still available at the local Napa, CarQuest, or Nissan dealer. Even bigger parts like old motors, trannys, and diffs usual don't go for much over $300 used.

Raghavan

I'd go for it... Maybe youll catch the prelude bug like Ben and get about 50000 more. :lol:

JWC

Customer just came in to get a title out of his truck.  He's meeting a guy this afternoon to sell a 280z for $900, new pads, rotors, calipers, and recon'ed head. 

Turns out his brother has a couple of 911's and an MG for sale.  I'm delivering his truck to him this afternoon to see what he has.

The z would have been a good deal.

Raza

MG Midget!

Or shit, an old 911!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

I don't know.? I'm picturing that qualude with the FWD yanked out and a 4.6 Ford engine five speed and rear end.? ?;)
:lol: I was thinking the same thing.

JWC

Quote from: Raza  on February 16, 2007, 12:49:55 PM
MG Midget!

Or shit, an old 911!

These cars were a fine example of good ol'boys who think they have something worth some money.

Turned out to be a late 70's MGB.  Though I don't like the rubber bumpers from that period, ChrisV's photos in another thread meant that I would have really considered it, except for the price. He was asking 2k and to me it wasn't worth more than 800-1000.  Needed paint and interior, wires were hanging under the steering column, and a top.  He had a new top, and a hardtop, but hadn't installed it.   

The 911's, he wanted 3700.00 for each.  Both were mid-seventies.  One would make a good parts car for the other.  I would have considered the gold one in the shop, even if it wasn't running. Unfortunately, he had removed the engine and transmission, the interior, and front suspension and brakes.    There is nothing worse than going behind someone who has taken a car apart.

The search continues.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I wouldn't count on the Prelude being worth only $500, think more along the lines of a grand.

sandertheshark

Wouldn't it make more sense to just fix up a used Mustang or am I missing something here?

Raghavan

Quote from: sandertheshark on February 16, 2007, 05:14:43 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to just fix up a used Mustang or am I missing something here?
Imagine pulling up to a light with a stock looking Prelude and then dropping your jaw because it lights its rear tires on fire. :praise:
That's what having a sleeper is all about.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raghavan on February 16, 2007, 05:20:31 PM
Imagine pulling up to a light with a stock looking Prelude and then dropping your jaw because it lights its rear tires on fire. :praise:
That's what having a sleeper is all about.
Every time a Prelude pulls up next to me I half expect it to shoot off in a cloud of melted Toyo and nitrous-laden exhaust.  I don't think a ricer's weapon of choice makes a very good starting point for a sleeper. :huh:

Raghavan

Quote from: sandertheshark on February 16, 2007, 05:27:44 PM
Every time a Prelude pulls up next to me I half expect it to shoot off in a cloud of melted Toyo and nitrous-laden exhaust. I don't think a ricer's weapon of choice makes a very good starting point for a sleeper. :huh:
But from the rear wheels? And with a V8 rumble?

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on February 16, 2007, 05:28:34 PM
But from the rear wheels? And with a V8 rumble?
:lol: I love the idea, but it's a 20 year old Prelude.  What a waste of a V8..........which makes the idea totally kickass! :rockon:

JWC

The only Mustangs I like were last built in 1970.

A 2002 BMW would be a good project, but if I were looking at something like that, I'd be chasing the elusive Datsun 510.  Finding one of those that hasn't been restored and is complete is impossible....well, almost. 

The 280Z btw, needed paint and seat covers, the dash was split.  Ran great.  Too bad it was already sold.

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on February 16, 2007, 04:46:54 PM
I wouldn't count on the Prelude being worth only $500, think more along the lines of a grand.

A very similar (read:  some rust, high miles, needs work) Prelude sold in my neck of the woods for $800 a while back.? I think it's realistic.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: JWC on February 16, 2007, 06:13:20 PM
The only Mustangs I like were last built in 1970.

A 2002 BMW would be a good project, but if I were looking at something like that, I'd be chasing the elusive Datsun 510.  Finding one of those that hasn't been restored and is complete is impossible....well, almost. 

The 280Z btw, needed paint and seat covers, the dash was split.  Ran great.  Too bad it was already sold.

I saw a 64/5 going for $1200 "obo" not too long ago near me, and it was an apparent runner with little to no rust (automatic, though).  I think a 1970's realistic in your price range.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JWC

I saw a 1968 Mustang in the CBT not long ago for 800.00, but it was a sixer.  From the photo, it looked pretty rough.