Project Car...The Beetle.

Started by JWC, February 15, 2007, 07:12:19 PM

JWC

The only stinky on my car now is the new paint baking on the exhaust.  Probably a worn out engine...or running too rich.

I just ran her down the road and back a couple of miles.  The only adjustment I had to make was to add some shims to the alternator pulley because the belt tightened up on the road test.  Now all I have to do is hook up the air tubes for the heat and this car is road ready. 

On to the next!!

JWC

Well, I've driven it for the past week.  No failures, minor adjustment to the carburetor...

...and I now have heat again.

I did have to buy a new floor jack.  My 17-18 year old one quit during the adjustments on the heater cables. It managed to get the car up in the air, but it couldn't get it back down.

Same floor jack (but different name)...$100 less than I paid for the old one back in the early nineties.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JWC on April 13, 2008, 08:32:53 PM
Well, I've driven it for the past week.  No failures, minor adjustment to the carburetor...

...and I now have heat again.

I did have to buy a new floor jack.  My 17-18 year old one quit during the adjustments on the heater cables. It managed to get the car up in the air, but it couldn't get it back down.

Same floor jack (but different name)...$100 less than I paid for the old one back in the early nineties.

Of course you have heat again! It's no longer winter.

Bugs are like that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JWC

39 degress here this AM.  Winter hasn't let go yet.

JWC

Bumping this back to the top...

I spent this past weekend working on the red Beetle.  It seems to take up more time than I anticipated, so the yellow car has kinda dropped off the restoration map.

The brakes failed last Thursday morning as I pulled into a drive up ATM.  Nursed it back home and spent July 4th installing new brake hoses on the front.  I had seen a bad spot on the right front and ordered replacement hoses.  I just didn't get around to installing them soon enough. 

After that I installed new gauges in the dash. I can now monitor oil pressure, oil temperature, and volts.

Unfortunately, during the road test, a nagging little hiccup the car had for a few days before the brakes failed, decided to become a case of the flu.  Without warning, it will buck and misfire on acceleration.  Even backfiring at times.  I haven't put my finger on the problem yet, but I'm thinking condenser.  That is until this afternoon. I was talking to one of the old timers at work about the problem and he thinks the coil is bad.

I ordered new points and condenser this morning. I'll order a coil tomorrow.  If nothing else, I need spares anyway.

Eye of the Tiger

Condenser is simple and cheap, but gave you narrowed it down to ignition? Could also be a fueling problem.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JWC

I removed the coil today at lunch and took it to work.  Tested the ohms and it is definitely out of range.  That was cold, so it is probably even worse when hot.  If that is the only thing wrong I'll be happy.

I based the diagnosis on past experience.  Dwell readings were way off which would pretty much narrowed it down to ignition. 

JWC

Parts (new coil, condenser, points) came in this morning, rode home and installed the coil, still same result.  Replaced condenser, straightened right up.  Weak coil probably led to the condenser burning out.  Drove the VW back to work, no problemo.

JWC

Spent about an hour this afternoon trying to clean up the "luggage" compartment.  Problems was what to do with spare belts, wires, and all the tools.

Bought a early sixties (or late fifties)  Samsonite suitcase.  I wanted something vintage to go along with the car.  Guy at work has a sister who deals in antiques and she had this leather one that she sold me for $25.  Went to the dollar store and spent ten bucks on storage trays and containers.  Narrowed down all the tools to VW only. 

The result: (Sorry about the big photo, didn't post process)

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Danish

Damn, you really know what you are doing
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

MrH

I like how a giant thing of zip-ties is in your repair kit. :praise:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

JWC

Just to add more to the pot....

I bought a 1978 Westfalia this week.  Needs restoration and (hopefully) minor engine work.  $500.00  Towing it home Wednesday. 

JWC

In case you've lost count....that's four, yes four, VW's at my house now.

SVT_Power

so i assume you sell these after you finish restoring them?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

JWC

Quote from: M_power on September 15, 2008, 05:43:22 PM
so i assume you sell these after you finish restoring them?

Only if I have to.

I once had four or five and sold them all to make a down payment on the house.   I'm fixing these up for me, then hand them down to my daughter.   

JWC

Got the Westy running today. It didn't sound too bad for not having run in three years.

I have also decided to sell the 'vert for whatever I can get for it. That money will finance the camper.

Cookie Monster

Are you going to get one of those wacky campers where you can make a complete U-turn underneath the camper? :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Soup DeVille

Quote from: thecarnut on September 27, 2008, 09:44:49 PM
Are you going to get one of those wacky campers where you can make a complete U-turn underneath the camper? :lol:

When he says "Westy" he means "Westfalia," which means "VW camper bus."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 27, 2008, 09:48:39 PM
When he says "Westy" he means "Westfalia," which means "VW camper bus."
Oh, didn't catch that.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Soup DeVille

JWC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 27, 2008, 11:16:24 PM
Its a Veedub thing, you wouldnm't understand  ;)

So true.  This is my second VW camper.  The first was a 1964 "split" I bought in 1978 for $1500.

I must say, I'm thoroughly confused about this 1978 Westy.  After adding two gallons of fresh fuel (to the old fuel)  and some injector cleaner it ran and idled great.  The owner sold it to me because it was skipping so badly. The only thing I hear out of the ordinary is a very loud exhaust leak, but I just about pinned that down, I think.  I'm trying to remain skeptical about this engine and the supposed problem.  I let it idle for about 45 minutes and drove it around my friend Shannon's yard, no problem.  Well, except the brake pedal almost drops to the floor and you have to pump the pedal to bring it up.  I added a pint of brake fluid, so I'm sure there is air in the lines.

The PO really hated giving up this camper, enough that we agreed that if I ever sold it, I'd give him first chance at it.

I'm not seeing why he let it go so cheap.

JWC

The VW Bus/camper left this evening for greener pastures.  I sold it to a guy in Atlanta and we loaded it up on his trailer most of the afternoon and until 9:30 tonight. He really didn't come prepared and I'm worried that the bus won't stay on the trailer for the trip back to GA. 

I made sure the bill of sale stated that I relinquished all responsibilities and liabilities to him. 

hotrodalex

He didn't have a few tie down ropes?

JWC

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 15, 2013, 11:10:07 PM
He didn't have a few tie down ropes?

He brought one huge ratcheting strap and two small ones.  They were new and he had never loaded one before...and I haven't done it in years.  So, I assembled those.  He kept twisting them and getting the straps jammed in the gear.  I finally donated some new chain and a padlock to secure the front.  Used one small strap underneath the rear. We ran the huge one through the side windows and to the trailers side pockets. 

I had to use the V70 to pull the bus on the trailer.  How it arrived from Ga in one piece must have been pure luck because when the when the front of the bus hit the trailer, the trailer came off the hitch and put a nice dent in the truck's tailgate.  Too bad it was a borrowed truck from a friend of his.

He kept wanting to push the bus up on the trailer, but he didn't bring help and god-dammit I'm 55. I'm fat and tired.  I finally convinced him that pulling it onto the trailer with the Volvo was the only way to go.  We put jack stands under the rear of the trailer and pulled it right up.

JWC

Well, he made it.  He called me last night.  Great guy.  He said it was a little squirrelly due to some rough roadways in S.C. (I-20)

He had to get bolt cutters to remove the chain, so that tells me how rough it was and that I made the right decision to give him chains to tie it down.

shp4man

It's not real without pics.  ;)

JWC

As of Wednesday...I will be divested of all VW gear and cars.  I will keep my VW-particular tools though, learned that lesson.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA