Aftermarket Wheels

Started by S204STi, February 18, 2007, 10:03:14 AM

S204STi

I am thinking about aftermarket wheels for my car, and yesterday I happened to be at Sears and say a neat style, sort of a BBS knock-off made by Sears' proprietary brand.  I guess my question is, are there any brands to stay away from in the aftermarket wheel segment due to poor finish/short finish life, etc.

omicron

How on earth do they fit Seaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs on the wheel; I ask you?

:P

S204STi

Quote from: omicron on February 18, 2007, 10:13:50 AM
How on earth do they fit Seaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs on the wheel; I ask you?

:P

A tit bitsy?

omicron

omicron

Quote from: R-inge on February 18, 2007, 10:18:10 AM
Are we a bit tipsy? :lol:

How nice of you to think so :partyon:

No no, I'm just mocking the over-enthusiastic pronunciation of Rs in words like Sears and Cars and such. Take no notice. :lol:

S204STi

Quote from: omicron on February 18, 2007, 10:21:19 AM
How nice of you to think so :partyon:

No no, I'm just mocking the over-enthusiastic pronunciation of Rs in words like Sears and Cars and such. Take no notice. :lol:

lol, mmkay. :lol:

S204STi

It doesn't look like Sears recognizes my car, so I won't buy that one.  But the question still stands.  What about "Sport Edition" "ASA" "OZ" and other wheel brands carried on Tirerack.com and other places?

S204STi

Nvm I was going to post some pics but Tirerack doesn't seem to dig that. :(

S204STi

nvm

S204STi

nvm

giant_mtb

I've wondered the same thing about those "off-brand" wheels you see in magazines in the Tirerack adds and things like that.  :huh:

SaltyDog

I suppose as long as they are (as) lightweight, hold the tire on, and don't break they are just as good as expensive ones.  I've never seen or heard of someone have a wheel break.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

MX793

Quote from: SaltyDog on February 18, 2007, 11:17:55 AM
I suppose as long as they are (as) lightweight, hold the tire on, and don't break they are just as good as expensive ones.  I've never seen or heard of someone have a wheel break.

They apparently don't have many potholes where you live.  I've heard of it happening around here, and not just with aluminum wheels.  A guy in one of my classes in college hit a hole that crumpled a steel rim.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SaltyDog

Quote from: MX793 on February 18, 2007, 11:48:41 AM
They apparently don't have many potholes where you live.  I've heard of it happening around here, and not just with aluminum wheels.  A guy in one of my classes in college hit a hole that crumpled a steel rim.

I guess not.  The biggest pounding I find normally is train tracks, and at least those are predictable.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Raghavan

Quote from: R-inge on February 18, 2007, 10:37:24 AM
It doesn't look like Sears recognizes my car, so I won't buy that one. But the question still stands. What about "Sport Edition" "ASA" "OZ" and other wheel brands carried on Tirerack.com and other places?
ASA and OZ are good brands. Mitsubishi used OZ rally wheels on the Lancer.

the Teuton

If we're talking about the Legacy and not the Focus, then you have 5x100 lugnut spacing, if I'm not mistaken.  What size are you rocking right now?  15s?  Depending on whether you want to upgrade to 16s, 17s, or 18s, I'd look at different brands if I were you.  You can get larger OEM Subaru rims like what I did and they will fit like a charm unless you get Sti rims because they run a 5x114 spacing.

Also, Rota makes a lot of rims and they are one of the cheaper good quality rims out there for Subies.

If we're talking about the Focus, however, you might want to take a look online and see what's out there.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raghavan

If you have 15's, don't go over 16's because then you'll either have way too little sidewall or have a messed up speedo.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: R-inge on February 18, 2007, 10:37:24 AM
It doesn't look like Sears recognizes my car, so I won't buy that one.? But the question still stands.? What about "Sport Edition" "ASA" "OZ" and other wheel brands carried on Tirerack.com and other places?

OZ is not a knockoff brand, sir.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raghavan on February 18, 2007, 02:05:59 PM
If you have 15's, don't go over 16's because then you'll either have way too little sidewall or have a messed up speedo.

OK, so when my speedo says I'm going 57, I'm actually going 60 when I have the 16" wheels on.  It's just something you live with if you get bigger rims.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 18, 2007, 02:17:06 PM
OZ is not a knockoff brand, sir.

I don't recall saying that it was...

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on February 18, 2007, 01:49:11 PM
If we're talking about the Legacy and not the Focus, then you have 5x100 lugnut spacing, if I'm not mistaken.? What size are you rocking right now?? 15s?? Depending on whether you want to upgrade to 16s, 17s, or 18s, I'd look at different brands if I were you.? You can get larger OEM Subaru rims like what I did and they will fit like a charm unless you get Sti rims because they run a 5x114 spacing.

Also, Rota makes a lot of rims and they are one of the cheaper good quality rims out there for Subies.

If we're talking about the Focus, however, you might want to take a look online and see what's out there.

Sorry, we're discussing the Scoob which has the factory 14" steel wheels.

r0tor

generally the only thing the knock-off brands have going against them is weight and sometimes corrosion protection with cheap finishes
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on February 18, 2007, 03:34:41 PM
Sorry, we're discussing the Scoob which has the factory 14" steel wheels.

Then everything I said applies with the exception of having 15s.? I thought they did because my Impreza came standard with 185/65R14s on them.? I thought the Legacy might have had bigger.? Anyway, you're still a perfect candidate for just about everything I said.? I'm sure you've heard it all before, but Subarus are like Legos.? You can mix and match just about anything and it will work.

JWC

Years ago...like over two decades ago....I read an article (Autoweek maybe, back when it was a weekly newspaper) about aftermarket and OEM wheels.  At that time, unless you were spending bucks on BBS, you were generally better off sticking with OEM.

Balance and warpage were the issues.  OEM quality was better than the cheap wheels of the time.

I would guess that computer controlled manufacturing has decreased that problem a lot.  I still shy away from cheap rims because of that article and because on couple of cars/trucks we have balanced non-OEM wheels and you can see the warp in them.  Now, that may because of a pothole, but they didn't have any impact marks on them. 

Danish

Quote from: the Teuton on February 18, 2007, 02:50:26 PM
OK, so when my speedo says I'm going 57, I'm actually going 60 when I have the 16" wheels on.  It's just something you live with if you get bigger rims.

Yeah and when you drive 1000 miles, the odometer only reads 950 ;)
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Eye of the Tiger

FYI, this is the best tire-size calculator I've found yet. Great for changing rim sizes, or trying to go with a diffrerent  width and maintain the diamater, etc....

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html  :ohyeah:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

My old Miata had cheaper aftermarket rims. They made for light wheels, but never stayed in balance for more than a couple of weeks. It sucked.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

J86

I have 16 inch Rage wheels on my Legacy, which came with 14s.  They work, I guess?

Rich

SSRs are pretty lightweight and I've never heard much about them getting damaged or doing any damage.  They are prety expensive, though.  I've never heard of anyone buying wheels from SEARS/Pep Boys/GoodYear type stores, but I'd imagine that they are pretty heavy, but durable.

I'd like to get a set of Panasports, but they are pretty expensive too, and hard to find. 
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT