Not Your Sister's SLK: SLK55 AMG

Started by BMWDave, June 12, 2005, 01:21:34 PM

BMWDave

Link

Not Your Sister's SLK
By Ed Hellwig
Date posted: 06-09-2005

One minute we were ripping through a desolate canyon road in the 2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK55, the next minute we're staring at 50 head of cattle taking up both lanes.

We stop short as the cattle rumble past on each side, none of them impressed by the 2005 SLK55 AMG's Diamond Silver paint, AMG bodywork or 18-inch twin spoke wheels. None of them, that is, except the grizzled rancher on horseback herding them along. He scans the gleaming roadster, tips up his hat and then offers up a surprisingly informed assessment, "That's one pretty AMG."

How he knew we'll never know, but his enthusiasm sums up the appeal of the SLK55 AMG. You either love it, or you just don't get it. It's either an overpriced, undersized SL wannabe, or the fastest, most hard-core convertible you can buy for less than six figures.

Not Your Sister's SLK
Although quick for its class, the standard Mercedes SLK350 has triple-A power compared to the new Mercedes SLK55. Forget about Porsche Boxsters and BMW Z4s, this SLK has the big-league V8 muscle to go heads up with Porsche 911s and Chevy's Corvette.

Like all AMG engines, the SLK's V8 is hand-assembled by a single technician in Alfalterbach, Germany. His job is slightly easier with the SLK's 5.5-liter V8, as it's one of the few AMG engines that don't lean on turbos or a supercharger for help. The V8 under the SLR-inspired hood is all motor, generating 355 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque and thrust that's butter-smooth from idle to its 6,700-rpm redline.

From behind, the SLK55 sounds as good as a big-block Chevy, but from the driver seat induction noise dominates and makes the eight-cylinder sound like the world's angriest hair dryer.

The SLK55 is also the first AMG vehicle to use Mercedes' exclusive seven-speed automatic. All those extra gears keep the V8 buried in its sweet spot and when you're not on the gas they help deliver respectable mileage figures of 16 city and 22 highway. An adaptive sport-shift mode does its best to read your mind, but when its clairvoyance proves cloudy there are steering wheel-mounted shift buttons, too.

Nothing Cute About This SLK's Power
The SLK55 is roughly 350 pounds heavier than a Porsche Boxster S Tiptronic, yet it runs the quarter-mile a full second quicker. Getting to 60 takes a mere 5.1 seconds, putting it in a league of convertibles that typically cost well over the SLK55's $62K asking price.

Even though it wears extra-wide rear tires, the SLK55 will light 'em up off the line. If immaturity gets the best of you, the SLK can put on a smoke show worthy of a Bob Marley concert, but a little pedal modulation will get the Pirelli P Zero Rossos to hook back up before the transmission starts snapping through the gears. With seven speeds, you're hitting the redline every few seconds, and each shift generates a satisfying nudge that makes you forget you can't get a manual.

The brakes are fit for a stint at Le Mans. Up front, the SLK55's six-piston calipers bite into cross-drilled and vented rotors 13.4 inches in diameter. In back, four-piston calipers grab 13-inch rotors that are also vented and cross-drilled to keep them cool. At the track, the setup turned in a 120-foot stop from 60 mph. On the road, they feel touchy at first, but are bulletproof once you get used to them.

Grip to Spare, but the Feel Isn't There
Handling wasn't the original SLK's strength, but the current generation is a more tossable car. Revised springs, shocks and sway bars add a harder edge to the SLK55, but its ride quality doesn't suffer. Through the slalom it posted a speed of 64 mph, a tick faster than our best run in a 2005 911 Carrera S.

As fast as it gets through the cones, the SLK55's chunky 3,397-pound curb weight takes its toll when it comes to road feel and overall balance. The car feels bigger than it is and its steering slower than it should be. Having a big V8 hanging out over the front end generates plenty of understeer and even a well-timed punch of the gas isn't always enough to bring it around. Its power would keep it on the rear bumper of a well-driven Boxster, but the Mercedes still wouldn't be as much fun.

A Roadster When You Want It to Be
Look past all the greasy fingernail specs and the SLK55 is a luxurious convertible that can be driven every day. A unique combination of napa leather and Alcantara gives the AMG sport seats just the right balance of comfort and cornering support. Add in the minimal wind buffeting and you can go top down all day without feeling beat up.

The much improved DVD navigation system is finally worth the money and the Harmon Kardon audio system is as good as you're going to get in a two-seat convertible. And you can bring your iPod, too ? there's an input port in the glovebox.

Like It? Then Buy It
With its steep sticker price, the 2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG is gunning for a narrow slice of the enthusiast population and the alternatives are tempting. A Boxster handles better, a Porsche Carrera costs about $5 grand more and an Audi TT offers as much style for half the money.

But none of those cars offer anything like the SLK55's massive V8 power, hardtop convenience and Mercedes prestige. It's a unique package for unique tastes, just ask your local rancher.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

"Nothing Cute About This SLK's Power
The SLK55 is roughly 350 pounds heavier than a Porsche Boxster S Tiptronic, yet it runs the quarter-mile a full second quicker. Getting to 60 takes a mere 5.1 seconds, putting it in a league of convertibles that typically cost well over the SLK55's $62K asking price."

These people need to learn how to drive!  

BMWDave

Quote"Nothing Cute About This SLK's Power
The SLK55 is roughly 350 pounds heavier than a Porsche Boxster S Tiptronic, yet it runs the quarter-mile a full second quicker. Getting to 60 takes a mere 5.1 seconds, putting it in a league of convertibles that typically cost well over the SLK55's $62K asking price."

These people need to learn how to drive!
I know!  Their times are sooooo slow!

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

5.1 seconds to 60?  :blink:   Gosh...for half the price I could beat that by almost half a second.  But I guess their 0-60 times are always pretty slow...

TBR

Quote5.1 seconds to 60?  :blink:   Gosh...for half the price I could beat that by almost half a second.  But I guess their 0-60 times are always pretty slow...
Yeah, 0-60 for the SLK55 is probably more like 4.5 seconds, edmund's people just can't drive.  

BMWDave

Quote5.1 seconds to 60?  :blink:   Gosh...for half the price I could beat that by almost half a second.  But I guess their 0-60 times are always pretty slow...
Yeah, 0-60 for the SLK55 is probably more like 4.5 seconds, edmund's people just can't drive.
Yup...I dont know how they get those times...

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

Quote5.1 seconds to 60?  :blink:   Gosh...for half the price I could beat that by almost half a second.  But I guess their 0-60 times are always pretty slow...
Yup...I dont know how they get those times...
They tried to make up for it by blaming the curb weight!  :lol:  

BMWDave

C/D got to 60 mph in 4.3.  Edmunds really doesnt know how to drive.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteC/D got to 60 mph in 4.3.  Edmunds really doesnt know how to drive.
Wow, that is even lower than I thought. That is one nice car, even if it is auto only.  

Raza

Quote5.1 seconds to 60?  :blink:   Gosh...for half the price I could beat that by almost half a second.  But I guess their 0-60 times are always pretty slow...
You want to bet which one would hit 100 first?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

Umm you wouldn't have a Mercedes hard-top convertible.

I will own an SLK55 one day.

BMWDave

Umm you wouldn't have a Mercedes hard-top convertible.

I will own an SLK55 one day.
There are some cars I tell myself that I will own one day too...I hope that I can make enough money to get them.  Good luck on the SLK55 :)  

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

Depends...which car are you talking about.  ;)  :lol:  

BMWDave

Quote5.1 seconds to 60?? :blink:?  Gosh...for half the price I could beat that by almost half a second.? But I guess their 0-60 times are always pretty slow...
Porsche Carrera GT :praise:   Hey, it may not happen, but I'm a smart guy, and if I do well in life, that is what I am getting.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

Porsche Carrera GT :praise:   Hey, it may not happen, but I'm a smart guy, and if I do well in life, that is what I am getting.
I meant which car for half the price of that SLK that could hit 100 MPH first.