First the A5...now the S5

Started by TheIntrepid, February 20, 2007, 05:25:07 PM

TheIntrepid

Images of the Audi A5 have been traveling around the internet at light speed since they were discovered some time yesterday, but this afternoon five more images of the high performance S5 model showed up to steal the spotlight. According to the Audi experts at Fourtitude.com, the S5 will likely feature a version of the A5's 4.2L V8 with FSI, Audi's Valvelift technology and a corresponding bump in power. Clearly the styling has been tweaked to be more aggressive with a modified front fascia that includes the string of LED daytime running lights that have become trademark ware for these models. A strip of what appears to be polished aluminum now adorns both the center of the front chin spoiler and the bottom of the rear bumper where, out back, it's flanked by a pair of dual tailpipes. The interior also appears to gain additional silver and carbon fiber accent trim. Will this hotted up A5 have the cajones to take on the BMW M3 Coupe? That remains to be seen, but we're left a little underwhelmed by the subtle visual modifcations apparent in these pics.

Autoblog

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Colonel Cadillac

I generally like how the S6 and S8 are relatively laid back in their styling, but in this example it could use a bit more of a "fast" look.

Colonel Cadillac

But hell, there are 3 pedals for once!

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SJ_GTI

The front end looks just like the S3.

That shift knob looks awfully familiar! (coughGTIcough).

No power specs? I assume ~350 at a minimum. It probably won't touch 400, since the RS4 only has ~410.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 20, 2007, 05:44:25 PM
The front end looks just like the S3.

That shift knob looks awfully familiar! (coughGTIcough).

No power specs? I assume ~350 at a minimum. It probably won't touch 400, since the RS4 only has ~410.

I'm not so sure, the standard A5 has a 4.2 V8 with I am assuming anywhere between 330-350HP (it may say in the other thread), so it would make sense that this had the RS4's version of the 4.2, and if they were to make an RS5, they could use the V10.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 20, 2007, 05:25:07 PM
Will this hotted up A5 have the cajones to take on the BMW M3 Coupe? [/I]
No.  :zzz:
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

ro51092

thewizard16

That's one of the most beautiful things I've seen this week.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

the Teuton

Rather than starting on my rant about how it's probably a pig of a car, I'm just going to say that I love the design, but it will probably be blown away by the BMW M3 for less money.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Pancor

Why does an Audi sports coupe seem so out of place as compared to a similar BMW?

Tave

I think it looks like a G35 coupe with side-styling influenced by BMWs and an Audi grill tacked on.

I suppose it's a'ight. I liked the S4 cabrio better, though.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ro51092

I never liked the A4/S4 cabrios. I actually like this quite a bit (not more than the E92....duh)

MrH

I absolutely adore this car.  If I won the lottery, this is in my mind the perfect daily driver.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Payman

sportyaccordy

OK, it's official. I don't like this at all.

r0tor

I kinda think the base model should have been styled like this... but then again they probably will sell the base model with the S-Line bodykit
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ChrisV

Quote from: Pancor on February 20, 2007, 10:20:47 PM
Why does an Audi sports coupe seem so out of place as compared to a similar BMW?

Doesn't seem out of place to those of us who remember the world dominating Quattro Coupes of the '80s.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Catman

omicron

Quote from: Catman on February 21, 2007, 12:29:49 PM
Wow, that's hot! :ohyeah:

That will be $1 million to Ms. Hilton, thankyouverymuch.

AudiMan2001

In all fairness, this 'pig' of the car is a cousin of a particular sedan that is 2-0 against the M3 in C & D's comparison tests.

I already can see the next comparison test: S5 vs M3 Coupe ... I expect it by year's end.

JYODER240

This is the only one of Audi's designs that I don't like.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

Quote from: JYODER240 on February 22, 2007, 09:34:10 AM
This is the only one of Audi's designs that I don't like.

Would you take an A4 Cabrio over this?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 22, 2007, 09:39:22 AM
Would you take an A4 Cabrio over this?

No, but my statement wasn't about which one I'd rather have because I wouldn't buy either. I was saying that I don't care for its design.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: AudiMan2001 on February 21, 2007, 11:41:51 PM
In all fairness, this 'pig' of the car is a cousin of a particular sedan that is 2-0 against the M3 in C & D's comparison tests.

I already can see the next comparison test: S5 vs M3 Coupe ... I expect it by year's end.

To my best knowledge, there have been two comparos. The first involved an S4 and an M3 (plus a third-place-always AMG Merc), and the second an RS4, an M3, and another AMG Merc (in Europe).

About the RS4, I think you are right. I'll admit that the RS4 will be faster and more capable than an E46 M3 in almost any situation. As it should for what it costs. However, it is not necessarily more fun and for my money, I'll take an E46 M3 every time and wait to see the next E90 M3 which will most likely wipe the floor with the RS4 (though it may also become less fun, we'll see).

The S4 is a different matter. I have seen it beat the M3 only on that C/D comparo and on a run on a damp track by Top Gear. Funny how when its a contest in C/D between say, a Ferrari and a Porsche Turbo, the Ferrari always wins because it has more soul and is more fun to drive (while being slower than the Porsche), while a Porsche Turbo has been called by C/D an "appliance for speed" (while being faster). However, when comparing the M3 and the S4 C/D editors seem to turn into old geezers who prefer an "easy to dirve , unflappable" S4 (which is objectively slower) over a "raw boy racer image" M3 (objectively faster). I'll take the Ferrari in the first case and the M3 in the second, thank you.

Evo actually rated an E46 M3 as better than a much more expensive RS4 recently in a comparo won by a Cayman S.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

TBR

There is a difference between being easy to drive and being an appliance for speed.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on February 22, 2007, 02:36:16 PM
I need one of these though:

+1

I'd like one in that exact color as well.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: TBR on February 22, 2007, 02:07:01 PM
There is a difference between being easy to drive and being an appliance for speed.

Are you implying that in *some way* an S4 is better than a 996TT?
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)