First the A5...now the S5

Started by TheIntrepid, February 20, 2007, 05:25:07 PM

Raza

Car and Driver's "Ferrari has more soul" is garbage.  I remember a comparo where they pitted the 360 against the Z8 and the Z8 was better in almost every way, but the Ferrari won only because it was a Ferrari.

People get badge blind with those cars.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7828.msg371059#msg371059 date=1172187587
Car and Driver's "Ferrari has more soul" is garbage.? I remember a comparo where they pitted the 360 against the Z8 and the Z8 was better in almost every way, but the Ferrari won only because it was a Ferrari.

I remember that one too. They said the Z8 cockpit was too windy. :huh:
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

TBR

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 22, 2007, 04:34:12 PM
Are you implying that in *some way* an S4 is better than a 996TT?

No I am not, though in fact it is better in "some way" (that being practicality, it also undebatebly triumphs over the M3 in the way). I am sure the M3 is in fact more exciting to drive than the S4, but that doesn't make the S4 an appliance for speed, it is just a result of what it is (a relatively heavy AWD sedan). I think this is excuseable in cars that are meant for daily transportation (a task which the S4 performs better), but once you get into Ferrari territory excitement is more important.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: TBR on February 22, 2007, 06:35:47 PM
No I am not, though in fact it is better in "some way" (that being practicality, it also undebatebly triumphs over the M3 in the way). I am sure the M3 is in fact more exciting to drive than the S4, but that doesn't make the S4 an appliance for speed, it is just a result of what it is (a relatively heavy AWD sedan). I think this is excuseable in cars that are meant for daily transportation (a task which the S4 performs better), but once you get into Ferrari territory excitement is more important.

I didn't say it was an "appliance for speed", C/D said it and about a 911TT. I think that statement does not apply to an S4 or (even less) to a 911TT.

I'd say the importance of excitement (or looks, speed, reliability, etc.), is an entirely personal preference. That's why I'd take the M3 in this case. That of course doesn't make it "better" than an S4 (or any other car for that matter).  I just prefer it in this particular (S4/RS4 vs M3) comparison due to its being more exciting to drive.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

850CSi

The RS 4 is more capable than the E46 M3 when you're talking about lap times, etc. but I'd bet the M3's a lot more fun. At least that's what Tiff Needell said.

850CSi

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 22, 2007, 09:39:22 AM
Would you take an A4 Cabrio over this?

Yes. But that's mostly because of my love for convertibles.

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 22, 2007, 06:17:49 PM
I remember that one too. They said the Z8 cockpit was too windy. :huh:

I'm not even a BMW fanboy, but it's kind of ridiculous.  That comparo pissed me off. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

I didn't even know there was a S4 convertible until today
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Colonel Cadillac

BENZ BOY15

I really don't like it. But I do love the S8/A8. I saw a white S8 the other day....looking hot. The A8L is a huge ass car. I love it though!

AudiMan2001

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 22, 2007, 01:42:38 PM
To my best knowledge, there have been two comparos. The first involved an S4 and an M3 (plus a third-place-always AMG Merc), and the second an RS4, an M3, and another AMG Merc (in Europe).

About the RS4, I think you are right. I'll admit that the RS4 will be faster and more capable than an E46 M3 in almost any situation. As it should for what it costs. However, it is not necessarily more fun and for my money, I'll take an E46 M3 every time and wait to see the next E90 M3 which will most likely wipe the floor with the RS4 (though it may also become less fun, we'll see).

The S4 is a different matter. I have seen it beat the M3 only on that C/D comparo and on a run on a damp track by Top Gear. Funny how when its a contest in C/D between say, a Ferrari and a Porsche Turbo, the Ferrari always wins because it has more soul and is more fun to drive (while being slower than the Porsche), while a Porsche Turbo has been called by C/D an "appliance for speed" (while being faster). However, when comparing the M3 and the S4 C/D editors seem to turn into old geezers who prefer an "easy to dirve , unflappable" S4 (which is objectively slower) over a "raw boy racer image" M3 (objectively faster). I'll take the Ferrari in the first case and the M3 in the second, thank you.

Evo actually rated an E46 M3 as better than a much more expensive RS4 recently in a comparo won by a Cayman S.

Actually, after the first generation S4 was introduced (bi-turbo), it was compared to the E36 M3 (this is back in '97 or so), which it won out.  The one you refer to was the more recent one done just a few years back.  In fact, the S4 has placed 1st in all C & D comparison tests it's been in.  You brought up an interesting point regarding the RS4's steep price, but there have been tons of comparison tests where BMW vehicles have won despite their high price tags.  Now, we'll see if Audi can do the same.

As for the comment about the S4 being more fun to drive, it's perplexing to see how you describe the fact that the editors liked the S4's "unflappable" "easy to drive" nature as a demerit, when those same superlatives have been used to describe BMW vehicles' dynamics in the past.  I also point out that there have been tons of comparison tests where BMWs have won despite not being the fastest (or quickest) vehicle in the lot (for the most recent example of this, see: $35,000 Sports Sedans in the October 2005 issue of Car & Driver).

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: AudiMan2001 on February 22, 2007, 11:29:54 PM
Actually, after the first generation S4 was introduced (bi-turbo), it was compared to the E36 M3 (this is back in '97 or so), which it won out. The one you refer to was the more recent one done just a few years back. In fact, the S4 has placed 1st in all C & D comparison tests it's been in. You brought up an interesting point regarding the RS4's steep price, but there have been tons of comparison tests where BMW vehicles have won despite their high price tags. Now, we'll see if Audi can do the same.

As for the comment about the S4 being more fun to drive, it's perplexing to see how you describe the fact that the editors liked the S4's "unflappable" "easy to drive" nature as a demerit, when those same superlatives have been used to describe BMW vehicles' dynamics in the past. I also point out that there have been tons of comparison tests where BMWs have won despite not being the fastest (or quickest) vehicle in the lot (for the most recent example of this, see: $35,000 Sports Sedans in the October 2005 issue of Car & Driver).

I remember well the adjectives used on various 3 series cars that won comparos in C/D. Phrases like "a liquid that never sloshes", "this car makes you a better driver", or "black magic" regarding the suspension tuning were written. However, in those cases, the A4 was never relegated to second place because it was "raw" or a "boy racer". The A4 also never did beat the 3 in the objective tests. So, your comparison does not necessarily applies as is.

I agree that the fastest car is not necessarily the best. That's why I'd take the M3 over the RS4 (the price difference is also important). There was also one comparo where an A4 1.8T Quattro beat an E46 323i even though it was slower (in that case I believe it was well deserved, the A4 was probably more fun than that base 323i with skinny tires).

What I can't fathom is why when comparing the sportier versions of these same cars suddenly "sporty" qualities become a liability for the M3. When picking in this segment, fun and involving are my top criteria. In the old S4 vs. E36 M3 comparo you mention, if I remember well, the S4 won out on practicality. Give me a break, C/D is supposed to be an enthusiast magazine and they pick based on rear seat room? Leave that to Consumer Reports.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

That's actually an awful comparison.  There are barely five words about the handling of the cars in the whole thing.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7828.msg371059#msg371059 date=1172187587
Car and Driver's "Ferrari has more soul" is garbage.? I remember a comparo where they pitted the 360 against the Z8 and the Z8 was better in almost every way, but the Ferrari won only because it was a Ferrari.

Bit of a bold statement when you haven't driven either of the cars for yourself ;)
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on February 23, 2007, 10:48:20 AM
Bit of a bold statement when you haven't driven either of the cars for yourself ;)

No, that's what they said in the comparison.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Quote from: M_power on February 22, 2007, 09:15:26 PM
I didn't even know there was a S4 convertible until today

:confused: Really? They've been out for quite a while.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7828.msg371551#msg371551 date=1172254297
No, that's what they said in the comparison.

They said that the Ferrari having more soul is garbage and the only reason why it won was because of its badge?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on February 23, 2007, 07:05:51 PM
They said that the Ferrari having more soul is garbage and the only reason why it won was because of its badge?

That even though the BMW was better it felt more special driving the Ferrari because it was a Ferrari.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AudiMan2001

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 23, 2007, 09:10:06 AM
I remember well the adjectives used on various 3 series cars that won comparos in C/D. Phrases like "a liquid that never sloshes", "this car makes you a better driver", or "black magic" regarding the suspension tuning were written. However, in those cases, the A4 was never relegated to second place because it was "raw" or a "boy racer". The A4 also never did beat the 3 in the objective tests. So, your comparison does not necessarily applies as is.

I agree that the fastest car is not necessarily the best. That's why I'd take the M3 over the RS4 (the price difference is also important). There was also one comparo where an A4 1.8T Quattro beat an E46 323i even though it was slower (in that case I believe it was well deserved, the A4 was probably more fun than that base 323i with skinny tires).

What I can't fathom is why when comparing the sportier versions of these same cars suddenly "sporty" qualities become a liability for the M3. When picking in this segment, fun and involving are my top criteria. In the old S4 vs. E36 M3 comparo you mention, if I remember well, the S4 won out on practicality. Give me a break, C/D is supposed to be an enthusiast magazine and they pick based on rear seat room? Leave that to Consumer Reports.

I can't speak for other automobile mags, but with Car and Driver, they're usually looking for the best all-around car, with an emphasis on good performance (particularly handling).  Beemers in the past has always been praised for their ideal compromise of handling vs ride.  However, if I remember correctly, this was not the case with the M3.  I remember them describing the M3's ride as extremely firm to the point of being punishing, not to mention the noise levels.  I believe the S4 won because it simply was a better all-around car with fewer compromises while still offering boatloads of fun; while the Beemer may still have the upper hand in steering feel and such, it's no longer enough to overcome the punishing ride, NVH, etc ..  That was the dealbreaker for the M3 in my opinion. 

Of course, all of this is subjective, and what may seem fine for you won't seem fine for the editors and vice versa.

Raza

This is slightly a non sequitur, but I've never found a punishing ride, and I've driven an Elise. 

Most journalists are too old and fat and soft if you ask me. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MexicoCityM3

A spanish magazine (www.km77.com) just came out with official engine info for the A5/S5. The A5 will run a 265hp 3.2L V6 w/FSI and the S5 will run a 354hp 4.2L V8. No info on weight yet.

Those numbers are euro-spec, U.S. cars might vary slightly.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

AudiMan2001

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 25, 2007, 12:36:30 AM
A spanish magazine (www.km77.com) just came out with official engine info for the A5/S5. The A5 will run a 265hp 3.2L V6 w/FSI and the S5 will run a 354hp 4.2L V8. No info on weight yet.

Those numbers are euro-spec, U.S. cars might vary slightly.

I hear that there will be a six speed manual version available on both the V6 and the V8; if that's the case, that's excellent news.

I'm still holding out for a DSG option as well ....

TheIntrepid

If the A5 is essentially an A4 coupe, why doesn't it have a 2.0T option?

r0tor

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 25, 2007, 12:06:11 PM

look at the link i p0sted in the other thread...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on February 23, 2007, 08:14:46 PM
This is slightly a non sequitur, but I've never found a punishing ride, and I've driven an Elise. 

Most journalists are too old and fat and soft if you ask me. 

You, uh, want a cookie for being such a hard ass?  :confused:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TheIntrepid

Raza

Quote from: MrH on February 26, 2007, 09:18:29 AM
You, uh, want a cookie for being such a hard ass?  :confused:

If you're offering...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 25, 2007, 12:06:11 PM

Its not an A4 Coupe. If it was an A4 coupe, it would be called the A4 Coupe.

Forgetting the fact that its on an all new platform, its style  and interior (and I will assume price) suggest it is more of an A6 coupe, if anything. As its name suggests, however, it will sit somewhere between the A4 and A6.