What's the worst that could happen? (self-install or not?)

Started by Laconian, February 21, 2007, 07:58:33 AM

Laconian

Hey guys,

I've decided to purchase an intake kit for my Miata for the engine sound effects and +6hp (according to SCM). The one I am looking at won an intake comparo (see http://www.racingbeat.com/intake.htm , http://www.racingbeat.com/intake_review.htm ).

I'd like to do a self install (how braindead simple can this be?), but the only caveat is that I have to remount the cruise control unit with an included bracket to make room for it. So... what's the worst that could happen if I botched the install of this intake? I'm only just a little anxious because all my other adventures under the hood were supervised by my former roommate, a college-certified automotive engineer.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

etypeJohn

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2007, 07:58:33 AM
Hey guys,

I've decided to purchase an intake kit for my Miata for the engine sound effects and +6hp (according to SCM). The one I am looking at won an intake comparo (see http://www.racingbeat.com/intake.htm , http://www.racingbeat.com/intake_review.htm ).

I'd like to do a self install (how braindead simple can this be?), but the only caveat is that I have to remount the cruise control unit with an included bracket to make room for it. So... what's the worst that could happen if I botched the install of this intake? I'm only just a little anxious because all my other adventures under the hood were supervised by my former roommate, a college-certified automotive engineer.

Just my opinion, don't take it personally.

The 6hp you will never notice.  Does the seller provide before and after  HP curves.  I bet the delta is mainly at the highest RPM's where you seldome go.

The noise?  Why do you want the car to be noisier?  You want noisier, put a lower restriction exhaust in it. 

Laconian

Here's the dyno from the manufacturer on the same make of Miata as mine: http://www.racingbeat.com/PDF/56501.pdf This has more or less been confirmed by reviews on miata.net and SCM.  One thing that the dyno shows that my butt accelerometer attests to is that the engine runs out of pull at higher RPMs, which I actually do venture into on a semi-regular basis (more for the sound than the fury of it all... Miatas don't have too much fury on tap.) Also... +6 hp is a >6% difference in my car! ;)

As for why I'm looking at this instead of exhaust:
* loudness increases sensation of speed; driving a Miata is a placebo for actually going fast in the first place
* loud exhausts are antisocial IMO
* I *like* a good intake growl
* ...and this will be a lot easier to disassemble and replace with stock parts when I decide to sell the car.

Pancor

Unless you're a butcher, I can't see much going wrong.? Say you mount the cruise module improperly, your cruise might not work until someone fixes it for you, thats it!

The Pirate

Yeah, that's a simple enough install that it wouldn't be catastrophic if you messed something up.  Besides, doing it is how you learn!  I had no idea what I was doing when I've done work on my cars.  I just went outside with a chunk of free time, some tools, and access to another car (this is important if you have to run to a store to pick up some parts).  Go for it!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

r0tor

racing beat usually gives very detailed instructions with pictures for installing their products

While i personally believe much of their product line is a bit overhyped, they do make quality pieces.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

This isn't a CAI, so need I be worried about overheating/knocking? (Hottest it gets here is 100 in the summer, and I don't have A/C on my car)

The Pirate

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2007, 03:30:17 PM
This isn't a CAI, so need I be worried about overheating/knocking? (Hottest it gets here is 100 in the summer, and I don't have A/C on my car)

No, that won't be an issue.  Overheating would be related to your radiator/cooling system, which the intake won't conflict with.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2007, 08:25:02 AM
Here's the dyno from the manufacturer on the same make of Miata as mine: http://www.racingbeat.com/PDF/56501.pdf This has more or less been confirmed by reviews on miata.net and SCM.  One thing that the dyno shows that my butt accelerometer attests to is that the engine runs out of pull at higher RPMs, which I actually do venture into on a semi-regular basis (more for the sound than the fury of it all... Miatas don't have too much fury on tap.) Also... +6 hp is a >6% difference in my car! ;)

As for why I'm looking at this instead of exhaust:
* loudness increases sensation of speed; driving a Miata is a placebo for actually going fast in the first place
* loud exhausts are antisocial IMO
* I *like* a good intake growl
* ...and this will be a lot easier to disassemble and replace with stock parts when I decide to sell the car.

No need... I'll buy it. :lol:

(Just give me a few years to save the money. ;) )
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Assuming I don't get wreck the car from all my h4wt m0dz first!!!1

All's I want are some simple bolt-on modifications and good tires.

S204STi

Just make sure that you replace any and all gaskets that you run into, or else you could end up with a rough-running engine and possibly even a lean condition which is potentially hazardous.  But don't let that scare you, I am just letting you know what to avoid when yo do it.  And the job itself should be straightforward on one of those.  If this were a transverse 3800 I would tell you differently.

S204STi

BTW, I didn't know you were a moderator!  Congrats if that is a new position, or if you always have been and I didn't notice...nevermind. :lol:

Secret Chimp

You just need to be careful about the linkage leading off of the cruise control unit. If it's mechanical like mine, there's this little bellows that tugs on a second throttle cable. Just make sure you don't kink that or any vacuum hoses leading to the round horn-shaped part, you should be fine.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Tave

My friend, who loves cars but has little knowledge of their parts, was able to install a CAI on his Integra GSR in a couple hours. If he could do it, a trained monkey could.

Bang away.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rupert

He's been a mod since... forever. :lol:

Check out Keith from Flying Miata's book. It's got a lot of common stuff, from oil changes and HLAs to timing belts and (I think) suspension modification. Waaay better than a Haynes; it has color photos! I gave mine to my uncle when he bought the car.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

S204STi

Quote from: Psilos on February 21, 2007, 08:01:42 PM
He's been a mod since... forever. :lol:

Check out Keith from Flying Miata's book. It's got a lot of common stuff, from oil changes and HLAs to timing belts and (I think) suspension modification. Waaay better than a Haynes; it has color photos! I gave mine to my uncle when he bought the car.

Oh jesus.... :banghead: :lol:

Laconian

:lol:

I'm doing a little more due diligence on Google, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this sucker. If a trained monkey can do it, then maybe there's hope for me.

I should splice together a before/after video comparing the engine soundtracks...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: etypeJohn on February 21, 2007, 08:10:58 AM
Just my opinion, don't take it personally.

The 6hp you will never notice. Does the seller provide before and after HP curves. I bet the delta is mainly at the highest RPM's where you seldome go.

The noise? Why do you want the car to be noisier? You want noisier, put a lower restriction exhaust in it.

A loud intake is much better than a loud exhaust because an intake only gets loud when you floor it, as opposed to the drone of a loud exhaust.

Laconian

Ordered from Racing Beat.

Now I need to cover my window with horsepower-adding stickers.

Rupert

And a wing; don't forget the wing...

mazda6er

Quote from: Psilos on March 03, 2007, 04:36:01 PM
And a wing; don't forget the wing...

He's right, you know. How you can expect to be taken seriously without a wing is beyond me. Back to the drawing board, rook. :rolleyes:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

I think the absolute worst thing that could happen is that you tear a hole in the time-space continuum and end the world as we know it.  It's rare, but it has happened.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7838.msg378398#msg378398 date=1172966376
I think the absolute worst thing that could happen is that you tear a hole in the time-space continuum and end the world as we know it.? It's rare, but it has happened.
Proof??
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 03, 2007, 05:36:30 PM
Proof??

The problem with proving the existence of space-time tears is that they almost always simultaneously create a parrelel universe in which no space time tear happened at the exact moment in time.

Its better not to think of these as tears anyways, but as intersection points of parrelel lines.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Onslaught

Putting this item on should be a snap. Looks like you got a good one and it was one of the ones I looked at before making my mind up to go with a supercharger. Jackson Racing cool air induction makes a little more power but is WAY over price and I hear that after a few years the plastic becomes brittle. And the Flying Miata one is supposed to be the overall best but you have to cut you your cowl so I wouldn't want to do something like that.

As for performance exhaust being noisy that's not always true. I've been around MX-5's with a complete Racing Beat header, converter and  muffler and they sound great. They don't have the fart can sound or make much more noise than a stock system. Stay away from the Jackson Racing one because I put down some serious cash on one and the tip is a little too big and the sound can be rather bad. But it did make a difference.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 03, 2007, 05:52:31 PM
The problem with proving the existence of space-time tears is that they almost always simultaneously create a parrelel universe in which no space time tear happened at the exact moment in time.

Its better not to think of these as tears anyways, but as intersection points of parrelel lines.
So what you're saying is don't buy the generic version??
Will

etypeJohn

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 22, 2007, 03:01:40 PM
A loud intake is much better than a loud exhaust because an intake only gets loud when you floor it, as opposed to the drone of a loud exhaust.

That depends on the exhaust.  I'm not talking about fart pipes.

sparkplug

I suggest a jet engine on the back like the batmobile. I know it's a minor modification but it should give you good acceleration.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 04, 2007, 05:25:20 PM
So what you're saying is don't buy the generic version??

I'm not even sure what the generic version is.  :huh:
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator