I drive an Accord Hybrid.

Started by VTEC_Inside, February 21, 2007, 07:28:30 PM

VTEC_Inside

Boring story about how I ended up with the keys to this thing, but I felt I'd share a few quick thoughts regarding the car and its drivetrain.

This is the first Accord of this generation that I've ever driven for starters. Generally speaking I like the way it feels to drive. The ride is quite nice and it feels like its up for anything you want it to do. This is quite the shock for me as I've been driving my grandpas '02 V6 Accord that despite being nice to drive, has a very heavy steering feel and isn't as "tossable". This '07 is something I wouldn't actually mind driving every day.

The interior is so-so in my opinion. Nothing is horrible, but there are a few plastic seems and overlaps, that could have had a little bit more attention.

Onto the Hybrid part. The "Auto Shut-off" is quite f'in annoying IMO. Its the only time you really know something is different about the car. It shuts off as you come to a stop without any real indication except the tach dropping to 0, and the blinking light. The problem is when you let of the brake and it fires the engine back up. There is a slight vibration as it spins back up. Not a big deal if you stop then go, but if you are creeping along its annoying as hell. I then found myself sitting in intersections waiting to turn left and being a little nervous about waiting to turn across traffic with the engine not running.

Onto the good. The switch to 3cyl operation is seamless, I thought I may have felt it once, but couldn't repeat it so... The regenerative braking is ALMOST seamless, a couple times feeling as though it had downshifted as I was slowing down, nothing horrendous mind you.

Floor the gas and man does this thing ever haul ass. I wasn't exactly being gentle to it, yet it was recovering sufficiently during braking such that I never ran out of assist juice.

Further to that, I was really hoofing on it, getting up to 170kph and change a couple times and then slowing to more civil 120kph. After all that it was still showing an average fuel economy of 9.5L/100kms. To save the math, thats about what I get in my RSX-S, and thats driving the RSX with a pretty heavy foot too.

Final thoughts. This thing is $4600CAD more than a EX V6. Thats A LOT of money, certaintly more than the extra litre per hundred hwy that the normal V6 uses will cost over 4-5yrs. Its just not possible for me to come up with any reason to justify spending the extra money.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

giant_mtb

"Final thoughts. This thing is $4600CAD more than a EX V6. Thats A LOT of money, certaintly more than the extra litre per hundred hwy that the normal V6 uses will cost over 4-5yrs. Its just not possible for me to come up with any reason to justify spending the extra money."

That right there is what most people that buy hybrids are completely oblivious to...  :lockedup:

The Pirate

Nice review, I agree that the 2003 on Accords do feel more nimble than the 1998 to 2001 model.

As far as the price difference, there are tax breaks for people who buy hybrid cars in the U.S.  I think these breaks either change or are eliminated very soon though. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ifcar

You're supposed to view the hybrid on the Accord as a performance upgrade that also improves gas mileage, not based on its gas mileage alone. It hasn't sold nearly as well as the mileage-focused Camry Hybrid for that reason.

Minpin

Its a shame that they are that much more otherwise they would be worth a second glance.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: ifcar on February 21, 2007, 07:33:50 PM
You're supposed to view the hybrid on the Accord as a performance upgrade that also improves gas mileage, not based on its gas mileage alone. It hasn't sold nearly as well as the mileage-focused Camry Hybrid for that reason.

I'm aware of that, but its still a lot more for not THAT much more performance. Shit, take half the extra, mod a normal v6 for another 15-20hp, and you still have money left for extra gas. Plus the normal one has 17inch wheels, a healthier trunk, etc...

I dunno. Hybrid not for me...

Atomic

cr ranks it very, very high. if i bought a honda, this would be it  :ohyeah:!

Raghavan

Quote from: Atomic on February 25, 2007, 03:36:56 PM
cr ranks it very, very high. if i bought a honda, this would be it :ohyeah:!
Really? Over the S2000 or V6 Accord 6MT?

ro51092

If I bought a Honda, it would be the S2K or the NSX.

SaltyDog

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 21, 2007, 07:33:14 PM
"Final thoughts. This thing is $4600CAD more than a EX V6. Thats A LOT of money, certaintly more than the extra litre per hundred hwy that the normal V6 uses will cost over 4-5yrs. Its just not possible for me to come up with any reason to justify spending the extra money."

That right there is what most people that buy hybrids are completely oblivious to...  :lockedup:

I think most people realize that but their motive could be purely saving the environmen, or hurting it less, regardless of extra money spent.  Or, they want to see hybrids bring in money initially so they can advance.  Whether hybrids have reached their full potential is something I'm ont sure about.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ifcar

Quote from: Atomic on February 25, 2007, 03:36:56 PM
cr ranks it very, very high.

CR doesn't factor in price, the Accord Hybrid's biggest shortcoming. And the conventional V6 model still outranked it.

cawimmer430

Congrats anyway, despite you not seeming to like it.  :lol:

Manual or automatic?
:lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ro51092

JYODER240

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 25, 2007, 03:58:23 PM
Congrats anyway, despite you not seeming to like it.? :lol:

Manual or automatic?
:lol:

they're auto only.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

cawimmer430

Quote from: JYODER240 on February 25, 2007, 07:14:10 PM
they're auto only.

As expected on Japanese hybrids.

So he didn't buy one? I thought he said he "ended up" with an Accord Hybrid? 

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

He ended up with the keys for a test drive, he didn't buy it.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on February 26, 2007, 06:39:07 AM
He ended up with the keys for a test drive, he didn't buy it.

I see. Thanks.
:ohyeah:

SO, WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!?  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ChrisV

Quote from: SaltyDog on February 25, 2007, 03:54:47 PM
I think most people realize that but their motive could be purely saving the environmen, or hurting it less, regardless of extra money spent.  Or, they want to see hybrids bring in money initially so they can advance. 

Exactly. it's teh same reason people will spend $30k on a solar power system for their home.

As one owner said, "it's what makes us happy."
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 26, 2007, 06:44:14 AM

I see. Thanks.
:ohyeah:

SO, WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!?  :lol:

Lol. I was going to take some but I got lazy. By the time I was done driving it around it was dark out anyway....

Not really much to look at other than the model specific wheels and guage cluster anyway. Well that and the neon orange power wire heading to the IMA motor and A/C compressor under the hood.

cawimmer430

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on February 26, 2007, 11:50:55 AM
Lol. I was going to take some but I got lazy. By the time I was done driving it around it was dark out anyway....

Not really much to look at other than the model specific wheels and guage cluster anyway. Well that and the neon orange power wire heading to the IMA motor and A/C compressor under the hood.

:cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Ron From Regina

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on February 21, 2007, 07:28:30 PM
I then found myself sitting in intersections waiting to turn left and being a little nervous about waiting to turn across traffic with the engine not running.

How long is the delay until you are on gas power? Is there enough electrical power to get you though incase you really have to step on it, and need instant response? What about if the batteries are low? Does the engine stay running then?

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Ron From Regina on February 26, 2007, 03:19:59 PM
How long is the delay until you are on gas power? Is there enough electrical power to get you though incase you really have to step on it, and need instant response? What about if the batteries are low? Does the engine stay running then?

The engine fires the instant you are off the brake. By the time you've moved your foot to the gas pedal its good to go. Its just a bit un-nerving to be sitting there with it off.

I tried once moving my foot really quickly to the gas, and there was a bit more vibration as the revs came up, but it did take off pretty normally otherwise.

I didn't encounter a scenerio where the battery drained enough, but it is my understanding that the engine then stays running.

To clarify for those who may not be familiar. The motor on the Honda IMA system essentially is the flywheel.

SaltyDog

So is it bad having an engine shut off and on repeatedly?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: SaltyDog on February 26, 2007, 07:41:54 PM
So is it bad having an engine shut off and on repeatedly?

You aren't the first one to ask. I'd like to know the answer myself.

The car does have a conventional starter, but as best I can tell its purely a backup in the event the IMA system goes to shit.

SaltyDog

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on February 26, 2007, 08:06:37 PM
You aren't the first one to ask. I'd like to know the answer myself.

The car does have a conventional starter, but as best I can tell its purely a backup in the event the IMA system goes to shit.

It can't be good, I know that.  I suppose the question, then, is, "How bad?" 

I'd say as long as the engine is warm and fluids have not all dropped down it's not that bad.  They'll have a hard time reaching high mileage though.

That's my guess, any other takers?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club