Where can I find weird manufacturer-specific fasteners?

Started by Secret Chimp, February 21, 2007, 09:13:51 PM

Secret Chimp

After trapping probably 50 pounds of compacted snow and road gunk in the front right corner of my car, I've realized I really need to get the new plastic fender shroud installed after having it sit around my place for months. Problem is, it uses strange plastic screws of maybe 2-3 different types depending on what the hole is, and I don't want to do a hee-haw job and just use bolts and Nylok nuts. Where can I figure out what fasteners I need for this thing, not to mention order them? I can find plenty of ten-year-old Honda parts, but not attachment bits.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

A dealer can hook you up, but those clips are kinda 'spensive.  I would just run some nuts and bolts, don't worry I won't accuse you of being a hack.

[hack hack hack!] :lol:

J86

JWC

Depends on what size and type you need.  Most of the fasteners run 2-3 bucks each.  You might try some parts stores that supply local body shops. Winzer and Curtis make aftermarket versions.

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on February 21, 2007, 09:17:41 PM
A dealer can hook you up, but those clips are kinda 'spensive.  I would just run some nuts and bolts, don't worry I won't accuse you of being a hack.

[hack hack hack!] :lol:

A true cobbler would use zip ties and maybe some quality duct tape to hold the thing in place.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

If your dealer has a body shop they will PROBABLY just give you some. I have to put stuff like that on peoples cars all the time for stuff like this and I don't charge.

JWC

Quote from: Onslaught on February 22, 2007, 06:03:29 PM
If your dealer has a body shop they will PROBABLY just give you some. I have to put stuff like that on peoples cars all the time for stuff like this and I don't charge.

If he is looking for one or two, they just might. 

BartsSVO

Try the HELP! section of your local parts store. It might not be the exact part that came off the car, but I've run across some that are pretty darn close to the OEM fastener.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

Secret Chimp

I've looked at both AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts for what I need; I've found things that I might be able to use to replace a broken pop-in trim piece holder I have on my left passenger door, but for the large part it's all stuff for older American cars, especially GMs.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

the Teuton

The GM ones should work.  I'm installing 2.5 RS side skirts on my wagon next week, and it was recommended that the GM clips will hold what I need for about $55 less than what the dealer will charge for the hardware.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!