E92 BMW M3 breaks cover

Started by sportyaccordy, February 24, 2007, 01:11:04 PM

sportyaccordy

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/12525/2008-bmw-m3.html

Cliff notes- 400HP V8 based on corporate ///M V10
3500#
Available in sedan form again
Due this summer as a 2008 model

I'm underwhelmed...it looks like a regular 3 with M5 style wheels. This one needs E30 levels of aggresion.

ro51092

Well, the styling isn't too exciting, but it sure is a good looking car. I want to see the E90 M3, that's what I'm REALLY excited about.

the Teuton

This has E36 levels of excitement.  Still, it's by no means a bad looking car, but I agree that it needs the fat fender treatment.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

JYODER240

It seems strange to say this but I think BMW played it to safe with this one.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on February 24, 2007, 01:13:49 PM
Well, the styling isn't too exciting, but it sure is a good looking car. I want to see the E90 M3, that's what I'm REALLY excited about.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sandertheshark

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 24, 2007, 01:11:04 PM

I'm underwhelmed...it looks like a regular 3 with M5 style wheels. This one needs E30 levels of aggresion.
I see slightly flared fenders, a very aggressive front end, and the ///M side vents.  It's pretty easily discerned from a regular 3.

mazda6er

I really like how the vent looks on this one. The wheels, I'm not a huge fan of.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Secret Chimp

I like this M3 version of the 3-Series a lot better than the previous one. The way the air dams and side skirts worked on that one made it look kind of brickish, not more aggressive. This looks cool, but not "I'M FAZZZT" like the M5 is. A good sleeper choice.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

J86

Looks nice, but not aggressive enough.

TheIntrepid

I like it in the second-to-last pic. The rest of them look awkward, like the IS-F.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

r0tor

is there a bump on the hood or is that a vent?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MexicoCityM3

I think pics 1 & 2 still have camo on the hood. Those are some weird reflections. I am liking the third picture a lot. In any case, the M3 "Concept" is pretty much announced for the Geneva Show in a couple of weeks. Then we will know.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Colonel Cadillac

I bet the 335i with a couple modifications could easily ride neck and neck with this fellow for less money.

The M3 does look nice though, each time I see it, the more I want it.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on February 25, 2007, 12:37:04 PM
I bet the 335i with a couple modifications could easily ride neck and neck with this fellow for less money.

In a straight line, sure, but not in the twisties.....
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Colonel Cadillac

I never excluded the suspension or wheel/tire combo from the "modifications."

I would be worried about reliability with the engine, though.

Raghavan

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on February 25, 2007, 01:03:52 PM

I would be worried about reliability with the engine, though.
It is a pretty high compression motor as far as turbocharging is concerned.

On second thought I am sure these will look awesome in person. I didn't like the M6 in photos, but I saw one on the street and it was pretty good looking. I felt the same about the E90. I'm still on the fence with the E92 though...

Lebowski

I'd be interested in the sedan version.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on February 25, 2007, 01:03:52 PM
And I never assumed that.  However, doing the engine AND suspension/brakes/wheels and tires would IMO easily put you over the M3s price.

-You would have to gain 100-120hp, reliably
-You would have to add an LSD ($2000+), different springs, shocks/struts, and likely different sway bars
-Upgrade the braking system all around
-Add wider wheels and tires

IMO, all that would probably come to over 20K (at least) installed and without a warranty or significant amount of testing done to it.  Personally, I would still stick with the M3.

ro51092

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 25, 2007, 09:04:55 PM
And I never assumed that.? However, doing the engine AND suspension/brakes/wheels and tires would IMO easily put you over the M3s price.

-You would have to add an LSD ($2000+), different springs, shocks/struts, and likely different sway bars

IMO, all that would probably come to over 20K (at least) installed and without a warranty or significant amount of testing done to it.? Personally, I would still stick with the M3.

I suppose you're right.

BimmerM3

Quote from: M_power on February 24, 2007, 03:09:26 PM
Bring back the E46 M3 :(

Seconded....

They could bring back the E39 M5 while they're at it...

sportyaccordy

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 25, 2007, 09:04:55 PM
And I never assumed that. However, doing the engine AND suspension/brakes/wheels and tires would IMO easily put you over the M3s price.

IMO, all that would probably come to over 20K (at least) installed and without a warranty or significant amount of testing done to it. Personally, I would still stick with the M3.

Nawwwww...

How much is the M3 gonna be, like $55K? How much is the 335i, $40K?

A package to increase boost/power to 400HP wouldn't be more than $2-3K.
Suspension stuffs wouldn't be more than $1500.
Wheels and tires would be less than $2000.
The LSD would be the clincher, but even that would be about $2K with an install.

$8-10K over the cost of a 335i for M3 performance? Sounds like a bargain to me.

giant_mtb

It looks droopy...like a Mercedes.

Lebowski

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 26, 2007, 05:33:06 AM
Nawwwww...

The LSD would be the clincher, but even that would be about $2K with an install.

Even if that's correct (and I'm skeptical performance would truly be on par for $8-$10k), you'd also have a voided warranty and that $8-$10k would add nothing to resale value.? If you look at the net present value of the total cost of ownership it's unlikely you'd save a dime, even in your optimistic scenario.

nickdrinkwater

Looks nice, but needs to be a little more aggressive.  Also, I think they should keep it coupe only.

LonghornTX

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 26, 2007, 05:33:06 AM
Nawwwww...

I dont know, I am hesitant to agree, mainly because I have played in the bimmer aftermarket, and it is EXPENSIVE.  You ALWAYS end up spending more than you thought.

1.  As it stands, the only visible reprogramming for the 335i that I know of is done by vishnu.  It costs about $1300, minus install, and nets you 60-75hp.  However, the key point that I am making here is the reliability aspect, and so if this car sees any road course use, it would probably need an intercooler and possible other various aids.  Say $2500 dollars installed total, optimistically.
2.  For the suspension, you are looking at $800 for a basic spring and shock/strut upgrade , plus another $350 for sway bars.  Install everything and get it aligned, $1600-$2000, depending on how hard the install is.
3.  If you are going to upgrade the wheels and tires on a bimmer, they should be done right.  A BBS CH upgrade to 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 will run you almost $2000 alone, but those are middle of the pack, so you could get cheaper wheels.  Figure another $1000 for comparable tires and $100 to get it all installed and balanced.
4.  LSDs for these cars are silly expensive, figure probably $2500 installed, at least.

So, given these postulates, the upgraded 335i might look like a match on paper, but there are a few things that stick out in my mind.  First, the reliability of that engine upgrade worries me with such high compression.  For my peace of mind, I would definately go in there and at LEAST put in a new headgasket and try to lower the compression a bit.  Second, we do not know if the M3 will have a wider track front and rear because of the body upgrades.  Third, the M3 as a package has been tested and unted for a LONG time, on racetracks, the artic, the autobahn, etc while our pseudo M3 (aka the upgraded 335i) has not.  Finally, you do not get a warranty with any of this work really.  Now, you could wait for Dinan to come with their stuff, but you might as well double the price we have come to here.....

TheIntrepid

Sportyaccordy's reasoning is right, but that brings a question to mind. If I can go to a junkyard and find a wrecked Audi S6 and take the 5.2V10 out of it for cheap, a few grand $5-10k, why wouldn't I put that into an A6 3.2 and call it an S6? ;)

Sorry man, your scenario is about as illogical as mine. :P

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]