C&D tests full-size trucks

Started by VetteZ06, February 25, 2007, 02:48:16 PM

VetteZ06

A test most people have been anticipating for quite some time. I'll give you the finishing order and highs/lows.

5th place: Ford F-150 FX4 4X4 Supercrew - 172 points
Highs: Limo space back in the crew compartment, plush interior details, throne-like front buckets.
Lows: Shaky steering column, weak engine, torpid handling, heavy understeer when the going gets brisk.
Verdict: Plush inside, not much load space behind: think passenger truck.

4th place: Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4X4 Quad Cab - 184 points
Highs: Control-tower view from the seat, quick-reflex engine, clever paraphernalia places in the cab.
Lows: Need an elevator for boarding, quivery structure, KMart-cheap interior plastic.
Verdict: Excellent storage and tie-down details make this a trucker's truck.

3rd place: Toyota Tundra 4X4 Double Cab - 193 points
Highs: Major horsepower, supportive front buckets, slick slide-out mirrors, off-road chassis muscles.
Lows: Front tow loops down in the mud, intrusive stability control, understeer when you push.
Verdict: The muscle truck--no bully will kick sand in this Tundra's face.

2nd place: Nissan Titan SE 4X4 - 199 points
Highs: Snorty engine, quick steering, neutral balance in the twisties, perfectly damped tailgate hinges.
Lows: Squeaky-flexy over the rough stuff, exhaust roar never stops, jumpy throttle, short cargo bed.
Verdict: A lovable puppy of a truck, fun despite its imperfections.

1st place: Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4X4 Crew Cab - 207 points
Highs: Tightly responsive steering and brakes, rigid body structure, American-luxo interior styling, plush ride.
Lows: Cheesy mirrors, low and vulnerable plastic spoiler, wind noise, cockpit storage bins lack imagination.
Verdict: A sweet-driving pickup that's big on action, light on serious-hauler details.

Let me know if you want any of the other details - I'll try to type them up for those who request them.

TBR

Wow, the Tundra barely made the podium.

I admit I am surprised to see the Silverado in first, doesn't seem like a huge leap forward to me but I guess that isn't needed at this point. I am also surprised to see the Titan in second, other than the F-150 it was the oldest truck there.

VetteZ06

I'm most surprised to find the Titan in second place. I guess Nissan really did have a credible first effort in the full-size segment. :ohyeah:

S204STi

I always thought the Titan was a good truck, and I also think the new GM full-sizers are the nicest trucks on the market, and a huge step forward from the old ones.

GoCougs

LOL!

The only two comments more asinine than this one:

4th place: Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4X4 Quad Cab - 184 points
Verdict: Excellent storage and tie-down details make this a trucker's truck.

Are this one:

Lows: Cheesy mirrors, low and vulnerable plastic spoiler, wind noise, cockpit storage bins lack imagination.

And this one,? especially for the winner:

Verdict: A sweet-driving pickup that's big on action, light on serious-hauler details.

Wow, way to go C&D.

Raghavan

Wow, I don't care if my storage bins lack imagination.. .as long as they hold stuff.

Catman

Well, after reading many of these reviews I would look at them all.  No one truck seems to be a standout in all areas.

VetteZ06

Yeah, "lack of storage bin imagination" is probably not something I'd care about. As long as I have storage, I don't need it to be "imaginative" or "creative." :lol:

I did not expect the Silverado to have a higher payload rating than the Tundra. Somewhat surprised there. The Chevy was one mpg behind the Tundra in C&D's testing, but it looks like all of the trucks were pretty evenly matched when it came to fuel economy. Also, for all of the commercials we've seen touting the Tundra's massive brakes, how is it that the Silverado handily out-stopped the Toyota?

Minpin

You already got your april C&D? What's in this issue?
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Eye of the Tiger

I got my C&D yesterday. Also GRM, and I bought yet another book by Brock Yates, Against Death and Time.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

VetteZ06

They road-tested the Audi R8 and pitted it against the 911 in a somewhat informal test. To say the least, they gushed over the Audi. I can't say that I blame them - gorgeous styling, blazingly fast (4.0 seconds 0-60), neutral handling, insane grip, all-weather capability, Audi interior, etc. If I didn't love this thing before, I certainly love it now. I need one.

They also did a comparo with the new G35 and a BMW 328i. Other than that, there are a few insignificant Short Takes (Nissan Altima Hyrid, Chrysler Sebring Limited, Ford Expedition EL) and the usual miscellaneous details about the auto industry.

GoCougs

Quote from: VetteZ06 on February 25, 2007, 09:43:21 PM
Yeah, "lack of storage bin imagination" is probably not something I'd care about. As long as I have storage, I don't need it to be "imaginative" or "creative." :lol:

I did not expect the Silverado to have a higher payload rating than the Tundra. Somewhat surprised there. The Chevy was one mpg behind the Tundra in C&D's testing, but it looks like all of the trucks were pretty evenly matched when it came to fuel economy. Also, for all of the commercials we've seen touting the Tundra's massive brakes, how is it that the Silverado handily out-stopped the Toyota?

In Popular Mechanics' test, the Tundra bested the Silverado in braking both loaded and unloaded (by about 10 feet).

VetteZ06

I wonder, then, what the difference was here.

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on February 25, 2007, 06:53:58 PM
Wow, I don't care if my storage bins lack imagination.. .as long as they hold stuff.
I haven't read the article but maybe they mean they just weren't very imaginative with making unusable spaces into storage bins like underneath the back seat, under the front middle seat (if it had one), etc.  The Ram has by far the most and biggest storage bins of any full size truck I have seen and that's why they praised it in that category.  I went and took a look at a 2007 Ram when my truck was in for servicing and it's like I keep getting dissapointed all over again every time I look at the interior.  The dash is definitely subpar compared to my 2005.  I have never seen a vehicle get a cheaper interior in the redesigned vehicle then the one it replaced.  Whenever I argue on here that my truck's dash is just fine as is, it is.  But the one that replaced it sucks.

SVT666

Overall, what I take from the results and conclusions (obviously haven't read it yet) is that they are all great trucks and it pretty much comes down to personal preference.  It's the one automotive category that you can't go wrong with any choice.

SagRacer

:ohyeah:
Overall those are good rankings by C&D.  After having recently driven the top three, and driving the F150 a while ago, that is how I would rank them too.  The Tundra has great specs and great power, and looks to be the winner on paper, but for some reason it all just doesn't come together as well as the Silverado.  The Titan is also a great truck, and was probably the best half-ton on the road since it's introduction - but nobody seemed to notice.  The F-150 is to trucks what the Camry is to cars - always middle of the pack to last of the pack in comparos, competent in all areas but not the best in anything - but always the best seller (and always MotorTrends ____ of the year). 

SVT666

Quote from: SagRacer on February 26, 2007, 08:46:30 AM
:ohyeah:
Overall those are good rankings by C&D.? After having recently driven the top three, and driving the F150 a while ago, that is how I would rank them too.? The Tundra has great specs and great power, and looks to be the winner on paper, but for some reason it all just doesn't come together as well as the Silverado.? The Titan is also a great truck, and was probably the best half-ton on the road since it's introduction - but nobody seemed to notice.? The F-150 is to trucks what the Camry is to cars - always middle of the pack to last of the pack in comparos, competent in all areas but not the best in anything - but always the best seller (and always MotorTrends ____ of the year).?
Best interior...by far.  But I agree, that's about it.

VetteZ06

Another note - the Silverado took top honors in the fit and finish category, besting the Tundra and (I believe) the F-150 by a point (I think it got 9 out of 10).

I've heard some complaints, mainly from Toyota fans/buyers, that the new Tundra's interior is uncharacteristically cheap. I haven't personally taken a look at it yet, but it's interesting to note that the Americans are setting the standard for interior quality and materials usage (with the Ram being the exception).

TBR

The Tundra isn't especially high quality.

I still really like the F-150, if only it wasn't so weak in the power department.

SVT666

If I was in the market to get a new truck I would be getting the 2008 F-250.? None of the new 1/2 tons really do it for me.

GoCougs

I was in the new Tundra just last week. It was the Limited 5.7L model. In general I just don't grok the pod gauges that many automakes are using these days.

I will gladly give up some interior poshness (but I didn't see a lack of it in the Limited - in an absolute sense) for superior mechanicals in a truck. I have to admit that I'm not much of a judge of interiors as a whole, but I am a big critic of gauages. I don' t like pods.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 26, 2007, 10:51:27 AM
If I was in the market to get a new truck I would be getting the 2008 F-250.  None of the new 1/2 tons really do it for me.

I like the F150 and Titan. All the others are meh. I really like the Ram too but it's getting outdated. How many MPG do you get in yours?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 26, 2007, 11:37:33 AM
I like the F150 and Titan. All the others are meh. I really like the Ram too but it's getting outdated. How many MPG do you get in yours?
The Ram was brand new for 2006, how is that outdated?  I get 13/18, although if I do the speed limit on the highway I get around 20 mpg.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 26, 2007, 12:04:46 PM
The Ram was brand new for 2006, how is that outdated? 

It was hardly brand new for 2006. Modified mechanicals (but the same basic platform and unchanged engines) and a facelift hardly make it a brand new design.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on February 26, 2007, 02:34:48 PM
It was hardly brand new for 2006. Modified mechanicals (but the same basic platform and unchanged engines) and a facelift hardly make it a brand new design.
Don't judge a book by it's cover.  New frame, new front suspension, new interior, and revised sheetmetal from the A-pillars forward.  Sounds like a brand new truck to me.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 26, 2007, 02:48:54 PM
Don't judge a book by it's cover.  New frame, new front suspension, new interior, and revised sheetmetal from the A-pillars forward.  Sounds like a brand new truck to me.

Modifications to the platform, modifications to the interior (same basics), modifications to the sheetmetal (and only on the front end), no engine changes.

Sounds like a midlife update to me.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on February 26, 2007, 02:52:15 PM
Modifications to the platform, modifications to the interior (same basics), modifications to the sheetmetal (and only on the front end), no engine changes.

Sounds like a midlife update to me.
It is a new frame, not a modified frame.  All interior panels and dash are brand new.  The front suspension is completely new (torsion bar vs. strut). 

Quote from Motor Trend:
Dodge engineers were well aware that model-year 2006 marked a new frontal crash-test requirement for trucks and that new rear-impact crash regulations would be coming soon after. They knew one solution would be to tack on enough parts to pass muster; however, the answer that made more sense was to put a new frame under the Ram 1500 and, while they were at it, keep the truck competitive by giving it a huge list of improvements. By the time they were done, the refreshed Ram was nearly all-new, only four years after the Ram was completely redone.

Still sounds like a new trucks to me.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

If they have to boast about the front suspension being completely new, I'll assume the rear isn't. The dash may be restyled, but the fundamentals of the interior are unchanged (the seats and the components that you can't see, like HVAC). They changed the front-end styling, didn't touch the rest.

The engines are carry-overs. The exterior has a mild facelift. The interior is restyled, but not really changed. There are modifications under the skin, but not even everything there is fully new.

"All-new" means that everything is new, not that a things have been changed here and there.

GoCougs

The second generation Ram debuted in 2003. No automaker, especially a domestic one, is going to replace a model after only three years.

As such, the Ram is still in its second generation. If it were an all-new truck, it'd be into its fourth generation.

The current Ram is a thoroughly re-worked mid-model update.