We (may) have a new player in the Industry, Loremo

Started by Galaxy, March 05, 2007, 12:11:35 PM

Galaxy

It is to be built in the city of Dorsten, Germany starting in 2009. Of course they may go under till then.

It is a very light car (450kg), powered by mid engined small diesels (20 and 50hp) driving the rear wheels , so fuel economy is superb. In order to assure crash safety in such a light vehicle the Loremo has no side doors.  According to their web site entering the Loremo is as easy as "entering a bath tub."

http://www.loremo.com/index_en.php

thewizard16

92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Vinsanity

this car caught my interest when it was posted on the C/D forums last year. I'll be the first to taunt the car's 20-hp diesel mill, but one thing that I do appreciate about the car is the target price: ?11k :ohyeah:

Raza

Ah, so in the rain, you run quickly to the car, open the canopy (I assume) to get in, and track muddy water all over your seats. 

Awesome.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Galaxy

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 05, 2007, 12:58:07 PM
this car caught my interest when it was posted on the C/D forums last year. I'll be the first to taunt the car's 20-hp diesel mill, but one thing that I do appreciate about the car is the target price: ?11k :ohyeah:

20hp is a bit phlegmatic but the 50hp version is quite lively. 0-100km/h in 9 seconds with a top speed of 220km/h.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8000.msg379514#msg379514 date=1173125069
Ah, so in the rain, you run quickly to the car, open the canopy (I assume) to get in, and track muddy water all over your seats.?

Awesome.
I don't see how that could happen.  The steering wheel lifts up with the clamshell.  You can see the steering column sticking up with the wheel attached to it like it belongs on a bus.  I do however see people (probably me) tripping on the car getting in or out.

ifcar

I can forsee problems opening it up to get in when parallel parked or in a garage.

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on March 05, 2007, 01:04:29 PM
Ah, so in the rain, you run quickly to the car, open the canopy (I assume) to get in, and track muddy water all over your seats. 

Awesome.

I was thinking the same thing. Also I'd love to see some chick in a sun dress get in and out of it. Or hell, just someone with a cast on as a passenger.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Quote from: ifcar on March 05, 2007, 01:40:24 PM
I can forsee problems opening it up to get in when parallel parked or in a garage.

Or getting out of it in a roll over accident, or when the nose is crumpled in a typical head on crash, even at low speeds. Will the hinge still work?

ifcar

Quote from: ChrisV on March 05, 2007, 02:08:33 PM
Or getting out of it in a roll over accident, or when the nose is crumpled in a typical head on crash, even at low speeds. Will the hinge still work?

In a rollover, you just flip it back over. I'm not exactly sure what 450 kg is in pounds, but it can't be too much.

ChrisV

Quote from: ifcar on March 05, 2007, 02:10:20 PM
In a rollover, you just flip it back over. I'm not exactly sure what 450 kg is in pounds, but it can't be too much.

Hard to do from inside, though... Especially if it's in a ditch somewhere.

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on March 05, 2007, 02:16:40 PM
Hard to do from inside, though... Especially if it's in a ditch somewhere.
You typically have the same problem with convential doors too, unless they are frameless.

Galaxy

Quote from: ifcar on March 05, 2007, 01:40:24 PM

It does not seem to go foward much more then when it is closed and I doubt the car is higher then most SUVs.

SVT666

450 kg = 992 lbs (2.2044 lbs per kg)

Galaxy

I'm not exactly sure what 450 kg is in pounds, but it can't be too much.

992lbs.

Galaxy

Never mind.

ChrisV

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 05, 2007, 02:24:58 PM
You typically have the same problem with convential doors too, unless they are frameless.

Unless the car is not completely on it's side, it's pretty easy to open at least one door after rolling. Or at least the side windows will open easy. But the other accident type, a frontal impact, will negatively affect the passengers from getting out, most likely, where a normal car will still have openable door(s).

I just don't see it as very practical or practicable.

Onslaught

If you had a bad hit on the front it probably wouldn't open up.

goldenlover1101

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

pommes-t

Quote from: Galaxy on March 05, 2007, 01:05:43 PM
20hp is a bit phlegmatic but the 50hp version is quite lively. 0-100km/h in 9 seconds with a top speed of 220km/h.
It's simply amazing what impressive driving abilities they want to achieve with a fuel consumption under 3l/100km

sandertheshark

I can guarantee this - entering and exiting your car from where the engine belongs will never catch on.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

AKL

---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

S204STi

Quote from: sandertheshark on March 05, 2007, 04:39:10 PM
I can guarantee this - entering and exiting your car from where the engine belongs will never catch on.

BMW Isetta anyone?

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on March 05, 2007, 02:06:43 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Also I'd love to see some chick in a sun dress get in and out of it. Or hell, just someone with a cast on as a passenger.

Well, well.  I didn't think of that.  I'm all for chicks in skirts having to do some climbing.

:lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.