Evaluating the Health of Your Clutch.... ?

Started by 850CSi, March 06, 2007, 12:09:55 AM

850CSi

I'm a clutch-nazi; that is, I'm always overly concerned with the health of my transmission and giving it the least punishment possible. I've heard that most BMW clutches are supposed to last the life of the car.

-Are 0-60 runs featuring hard and quick shifting with tires chirping going to significantly shorten the life of my clutch?

Is there an easy way to evaluate how my clutch is holding up?

280Z Turbo

If it engages fine and doesn't slip it's fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Clutches are fairly easy to replace anyway on a RWD car.

Based on the experience of my friends with fast turbo Zs run at the dragstrip, the thing that hurts the most in that kind of driving is the driveline. Stub axles, transmissions, etc.

JYODER240

I don't really worry myself with clutch-wear, or tires for that matter. The way I see it, the sooner they go the more fun you had.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

Clutches these days are pretty tough.  If you know how to drive a stick properly (as you do, I'm sure), it will last a long time.  Things like riding the clutch, not disengaging it all the way at stoplights, and constant redline clutch drop launches are going to wear it out quickly, but I wouldn't worry too much about regular spirited driving.

My Ford Ranger had over 160K miles on the original clutch when I traded, and I beat the living crap out of that truck.  Likewise, my Civic has 116K miles on the original clutch (with the last 55K miles from me), and I drive that car in a spirited fashion all the time.

You are probably fine, but I understand the anal retetentiveness, I have that same problem with things.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

etypeJohn

The Click and Clack method of clutch evaluation (I've heard this elsewhere too):

Ease up to the side of a building, a tree or some other immovable object.  Use padding between your front bumper and the immovable object if you are worrying about marring your bumper.  Start the car and rev the ending to about 1200-1500 RPM while easing out the clutch.  If the engine stalls your clutch is OK.  If the engine slows but still runs you have a slipping clutch.

J86

We've got a '96 Accord in the family with WELL over 230k (odo stopped a coupla years ago there) on the clock.

My Subie has over 190k.

Both are original clutches.  The Honda saw my bro an I learn to drive stick on it, and I dont treat my Subie too responsibly sometimes.

I'd not worry.

The Pirate

Yeah, I've taught 4 or 5 people how to drive stick on my car, and the clutch still grabs high and doesn't slip at all.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: J86 on March 06, 2007, 11:51:58 AM
We've got a '96 Accord in the family with WELL over 230k (odo stopped a coupla years ago there) on the clock.

My Subie has over 190k.

Both are original clutches.? The Honda saw my bro an I learn to drive stick on it, and I dont treat my Subie too responsibly sometimes.

I'd not worry.

Does/did something in the suspension on the Accord ever start making a kind of "hurka-hurka" creaking noise over speed bumps? I can't tell if it's that or my replaced fender rubbing against the edge of the hood :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Pancor

Quote from: etypeJohn on March 06, 2007, 11:09:13 AM
The Click and Clack method of clutch evaluation (I've heard this elsewhere too):

Ease up to the side of a building, a tree or some other immovable object.? Use padding between your front bumper and the immovable object if you are worrying about marring your bumper.? Start the car and rev the ending to about 1200-1500 RPM while easing out the clutch.? If the engine stalls your clutch is OK.? If the engine slows but still runs you have a slipping clutch.

Yikes....

My preferred ( and somewhat less-redneck style) method is to just floor the throttle in 3rd gear while going up a decent hill.   That'll usually make a bad clutch known.   

The Pirate

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 06, 2007, 02:24:44 PM
Does/did something in the suspension on the Accord ever start making a kind of "hurka-hurka" creaking noise over speed bumps? I can't tell if it's that or my replaced fender rubbing against the edge of the hood :P

What year and how many miles is your Accord?

Depending if the miles are high or not, it could be bushings in the suspension system. 

Secret Chimp

Quote from: The Pirate on March 06, 2007, 04:15:17 PM

What year and how many miles is your Accord?

Depending if the miles are high or not, it could be bushings in the suspension system.?

97 and a whole lot.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

Quote from: Pancor on March 06, 2007, 04:10:47 PM
Yikes....

My preferred ( and somewhat less-redneck style) method is to just floor the throttle in 3rd gear while going up a decent hill.? ?That'll usually make a bad clutch known.? ?

That is how I would do it too, although I see the merits in the Car Guys' approach.

The Pirate

I've done this accidentally, and it's a sure way to check your clutch:  When stationary, let the clutch out while the car is running and in gear.  When I did it, I thought it was in neutral, and never bothered to check before I let the clutch out.

TBR

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on March 07, 2007, 08:22:31 PM
And what is supposed to happen?

The engine should stall if you let the clutch out in gear without raising rpm.

The Pirate

Yeah, thanks for the additional info R-inge.  I must have been in a hurry, as I apparently left that sentence out of my original post.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on March 07, 2007, 08:23:15 PM

Not if you have 400ft-lbs of torque at 500rpms :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on March 07, 2007, 08:26:48 PM

I don't have that problem, unfortunately.

S204STi

True, with some cars if you just let off gradually you can effectively start out  at idle.  However, if you drop the clutch suddenly I am pretty sure it would be the same result.  (not totally sure though lol)

Soup DeVille

If you let off on the clutch easy enough, you can get any car to move without touching the gas pedal.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Depends on alot of things... weight of car, rotating mass, gear ratios, idle speed, blah blah blah...
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

My car will get going without any gas with a really slow clutch let out.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on March 07, 2007, 08:37:06 PM
Depends on alot of things... weight of car, rotating mass, gear ratios, idle speed, blah blah blah...

I've done it on a type-2 VW bus with all of 25 HP; just to prove this point. If you could find one, I'd do it again.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

etypeJohn

My Jaguar won't.  On a level surfact it will just start moving.  265 HP and  283 pound feets of torque coupled to a flywheel that weighs about 20 pounds does that for you. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: etypeJohn on March 06, 2007, 11:09:13 AM

Ease up to the side of a building, a tree or some other immovable object.? Use padding between your front bumper and the immovable object if you are worrying about marring your bumper.? Start the car and rev the ending to about 1200-1500 RPM while easing out the clutch.? If the engine stalls your clutch is OK.? If the engine slows but still runs you have a slipping clutch.
Is there a preferred gear to use when doing this test??
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on March 07, 2007, 08:28:22 PM

I don't have that problem, unfortunately.

Get a GTO!  20mph without ever touching the gas.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Ron From Regina

I can side step the clutch on in my mustang on dry pavement, and it won't stall.

As for the original question, my opinion on cluthces is they are one of those things that ware out, just like brake pads. Not a big deal.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Ron From Regina on March 08, 2007, 01:41:34 PM
As for the original question, my opinion on cluthces is they are one of those things that ware out, just like brake pads. Not a big deal.
Unless it's an old Ford FWD.   :banghead:   :lockedup: 
(Took me a long time and lots of sweat to fix that problem.)

(ps- Maybe I'm the only one on the board to have driven the Autobahn with a broken clutch??)
Will

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on March 08, 2007, 12:05:36 PM

Get a GTO!  20mph without ever touching the gas.

I've done that in my car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5