Why my next purchase could be a SUV/Crossover

Started by Maxxum, March 06, 2007, 05:26:05 AM

Maxxum

Last night I got stuck in the worst snowstorms I have ever seen. Literally. Was driving to Syracuse and at some points I could see nothing but white darkness and I drove in a straight line hoping not to hit the railing and making sense of where the road is going based on the signboards. Then they closed down the interstate and I had to go on a local small highway which was not plowed. I was doing okay driving on he tracks of vehicles that had driven before me until one of my wheels went on the snow deposit between the tire tracks and I slipped badly. I tried to control it as much as I can, without pressing the brake. I went zig-zag for a little while after which I spun 180 deg and started moving backwards until I hit something and rotated another 180 deg to face where I was heading again and ended up with two right wheels in 2 feet of snow. There was no way the car was getting out of it. Thankfully there were no other cars around and I did not hit the railing on ther other side of the road. I tried and tried, but finally called my insurance co. for roadside assistance and while I was on the phone with them a Mazda Tribute stopped and seeing him another minivan driver stopped. They tried tp push me out initially but no success. Then he got a tow rope and in 2-3 attempts, pulled me out.  :ohyeah:

So far I have not seen any visible damage to the car (04 Accord) but we'll see when it clears up. I had been contemplating buying a Subaru a few months ago when my wife moved up here, but she decided she didn't want a second car then. Now it seems she wants one but she likes the CX7 (visual appeal). Considering that I bought a new set or tires (Yokohama Avid H4) which are great in slushy weather but I still got myself in a mess last night, I have begun to see the point of SUVs in colder regions.

I think I was driving too fast for the conditions but I am not vastly experienced in snow-driving. Well, one learns.
(\__/)     
(='.'=) << One day I will rule the world!         
(")_(")

J86

Tell me about it man, last night was nuts!  My car is stuck at the gym right now- it didn't want to restart in this freaking cold!

Glad to hear youre alright.

TheIntrepid

Last night was perfectly fine here in Toronto... but I heard it was bad elsewhere. Glad you're all right :ohyeah:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

crv16

Quote from: Maxxum on March 06, 2007, 05:26:05 AM
I was doing okay driving on he tracks of vehicles that had driven before me until one of my wheels went on the snow deposit between the tire tracks and I slipped badly. I tried to control it as much as I can, without pressing the brake. I went zig-zag for a little while after which I spun 180 deg and started moving backwards until I hit something and rotated

Honestly - I don't think a SUV/AWD vehicle would have behaved any differently in this situation.

I have snow tires on my Civic and stock all-season tires on the Pilot.  In snowy weather the AWD gives the Pilot better acceleration, but I feel far more stable in my Civic with the snows.  The Pilot (making up a word here) "snowplanes" - giving you a lot of little jiggly side-to-side motions in heavy snow, versus the Civic, whose tires bite down better and give me a more stable ride.

I'll probably put snows on the Pilot next winter, which should be the best of both worlds.

Bottom line - you are probably better off just putting on a good set of snow tires on your Accord.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

The Pirate

Yeah, snow tires on a car would definitely be better than an SUV with all seasons.  I've had all drivetrains, and also done the all season and snow tire route, and I'd take snow tires over AWD any day.

Although, a Subie with snow tires would be damn near unstoppable.  My business partner has an Outback with Blizzaks, and we drive it through snow covered fields all the time.  It just goes where you point it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MaxPower

Quote from: crv16 on March 06, 2007, 09:16:34 AM
Honestly - I don't think a SUV/AWD vehicle would have behaved any differently in this situation.

I have snow tires on my Civic and stock all-season tires on the Pilot.  In snowy weather the AWD gives the Pilot better acceleration, but I feel far more stable in my Civic with the snows.  The Pilot (making up a word here) "snowplanes" - giving you a lot of little jiggly side-to-side motions in heavy snow, versus the Civic, whose tires bite down better and give me a more stable ride.

I'll probably put snows on the Pilot next winter, which should be the best of both worlds.

Bottom line - you are probably better off just putting on a good set of snow tires on your Accord.

For the most part I agree...my experience has been with a Camry w/ studded snow tires and a Tacoma with all-seasons.  On roads the Camry feels planted and I have more confidence in its stopping/turning abilities because of of the tires.  It can safely take me to 90% of the places I'd need to go in a storm.  In 2WD my truck is basically useless (even with weight in the bed), in 4WD it has great traction but it gulps gas.  The truck is invaluable though when it comes to my long, steep driveway that isn't always plowed--it can climb out no problem.

I grew up driving Subarus--they stick to the road pretty well no matter what the tire choice is.

Rich

One reason to get the taller crossovers/SUVs/trucks is to be able to see over the snow piles.  MY dad hates driving cars in this stuff since you can't see much at intersections.  He really enjoys his new truck because of it.  It's been a while since I've lived in Rome, NY (close to Syracuse), but I remember how dicey pulling out of intersections with piles of snow on either side.  Made things really dicey, especially with all season tires and just 115hp
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MX793

Quote from: Maxxum on March 06, 2007, 05:26:05 AM
Last night I got stuck in the worst snowstorms I have ever seen. Literally. Was driving to Syracuse and at some points I could see nothing but white darkness and I drove in a straight line hoping not to hit the railing and making sense of where the road is going based on the signboards. Then they closed down the interstate and I had to go on a local small highway which was not plowed. I was doing okay driving on he tracks of vehicles that had driven before me until one of my wheels went on the snow deposit between the tire tracks and I slipped badly. I tried to control it as much as I can, without pressing the brake. I went zig-zag for a little while after which I spun 180 deg and started moving backwards until I hit something and rotated another 180 deg to face where I was heading again and ended up with two right wheels in 2 feet of snow. There was no way the car was getting out of it. Thankfully there were no other cars around and I did not hit the railing on ther other side of the road. I tried and tried, but finally called my insurance co. for roadside assistance and while I was on the phone with them a Mazda Tribute stopped and seeing him another minivan driver stopped. They tried tp push me out initially but no success. Then he got a tow rope and in 2-3 attempts, pulled me out.  :ohyeah:

So far I have not seen any visible damage to the car (04 Accord) but we'll see when it clears up. I had been contemplating buying a Subaru a few months ago when my wife moved up here, but she decided she didn't want a second car then. Now it seems she wants one but she likes the CX7 (visual appeal). Considering that I bought a new set or tires (Yokohama Avid H4) which are great in slushy weather but I still got myself in a mess last night, I have begun to see the point of SUVs in colder regions.

I think I was driving too fast for the conditions but I am not vastly experienced in snow-driving. Well, one learns.

What caused your spin probably would have spun a 4WD as well.  That snow that builds up between the tire tracks can be very treacherous, which is why I avoid changing lanes when I start seeing snow buildup in the center of the lane.  That stuff will grab your tire and spin you out if you're going too fast.  When the snow gets that bad, really all you can do is just slow way the heck down, turn on your 4-ways and hope you don't get rearended.  And don't make any sudden inputs to the steering, brakes or throttle.  Driving in snow is a lot like walking in an icy parking lot.  You need to move very slowly and cautiously to ensure you maintain your footing.

I can remember driving into Syracuse one day in college with my 240SX and I ran into a band of heavy snow like that on I-90.  It wasn't even blowing, it was just coming down so heavily that it blocked almost all visibility.  There was a car maybe 8 car lengths ahead of me with their tail lights on and you could just barely see their lights.  It just disappeared as we drove into a wall of falling snow.  I ended up slowing to an absolute crawl for a couple of miles until I finally cleared the storm (fairly narrow band).  And even at low speeds, that car would sway a little on the yaw axis, it never really felt planted.

BTW, which interstate were you on and what highway did they route you to?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Quote from: The Pirate on March 06, 2007, 10:21:54 AM
Yeah, snow tires on a car would definitely be better than an SUV with all seasons.? I've had all drivetrains, and also done the all season and snow tire route, and I'd take snow tires over AWD any day.

Although, a Subie with snow tires would be damn near unstoppable.? My business partner has an Outback with Blizzaks, and we drive it through snow covered fields all the time.? It just goes where you point it.

We went up to my cabin for a party one May when the roads had just opened. All of us except my friend Dave had brought some sort of truck, but he was confident in his Legacy because he lives in the Mountains. His was the only vehicle we had to push out of the mud.

To be fair, it's not an easy road in. I could take the Aveo, if it were dry, though I'd prefer not too.

I can think of many situations where a car could easily get stuck and a truck not. Even just sliding slightly off the road onto the right patch of grass and slope could totally screw with a car's world.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

The Pirate

Well, yeah, there are always going to be limitations to any vehicle's capability.  But, for any highway/paved road travel in snowy conditions, I'll take a 2WD vehicle with snow tires over an AWD vehicle with all seasons.

Unplowed/unpaved roads are a different story.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raghavan

Subaru with snowtires is awesome! :praise:
And I barely ever drive in snow, only when we're skiing. But with all seasons, driving anywhere was a pain in the butt. The front wheels would spin and we'd just stay in place. I actually floored it up a slightly steep, icy road from a stop... I went halfway up and came back down with the wheels spinnning. :lol:

Maxxum

Quote from: MX793 on March 06, 2007, 12:23:21 PM

BTW, which interstate were you on and what highway did they route you to?
They closed I-81 north at exit 8 and 9 and I ended up driving on state rt. 11 N until I found 81 N again. You are absolutely right, slow speed is the key and winter tires are definitely in order. I am just wondering how much of it is left in this season as I just drive up and down over the weekends.
(\__/)     
(")_(")

MX793

It'll last definately through March and possibly into April.  Snowfall in May is not unheard of in CNY, though pretty uncommon.  I can recall a snow storm hitting on Mother's day about 10 years ago.  Generally speaking the snowfall starts to taper off through March, but this has been a weird year because there wasn't much snow at all during December and much of January.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Quote from: crv16 on March 06, 2007, 09:16:34 AM

I have snow tires on my Civic and stock all-season tires on the Pilot.? In snowy weather the AWD gives the Pilot better acceleration, but I feel far more stable in my Civic with the snows.? The Pilot (making up a word here) "snowplanes" - giving you a lot of little jiggly side-to-side motions in heavy snow, versus the Civic, whose tires bite down better and give me a more stable ride.

I'm with you on light FWD cars (like Civics) being great in the snow.
My friend and I went around in his 1992 Civic daily beater during a decent sized snow storm.  We went into a parking lot to have some fun in the snow, but it was completely boring because the car simply refused to misbehave in the snow.  It stopped amazingly well, turned amazingly well, and went almost as well as my SUV with AWD. He didn't evne have snow tires, just all seasons.  It was by far the best car I've driven in the snow, much better than my heavy SUV.

To the OP.  I think you need more snow driving experience than another car.  I've made it through many winters in the Northeast and Cleveland with an old old rwd Supra turbo on summer tires (no ABS either).  You just have to know what you car can and can't do.

S204STi

Having AWD may not keep you from spinning, but it can help you get back out of the ditch. :praise:

Maxxum

Quote from: R-inge on March 07, 2007, 08:22:12 PM
Having AWD may not keep you from spinning, but it can help you get back out of the ditch. :praise:
Yeah that was what I thought. Having power on all 4 wheels can help one get out when the front wheels or eveon one front wheel is stuck. It was the inertia that did me in, as another poster noted, a lighter car with less inertia and lower speeds would do better.
(\__/)     
(")_(")

AKL

I have an 05 Accord w/ snow tires and it works beautifully in snow. It can plow through snow really well and even handles ice pretty damn well.

Never spun out before. It has fish tailed when I just fooled around a little (applied full throttle in deep snow) Although there has been a lot of ABS action with the brakes. A FWD car with a good set of snow tires is just fine. But the minute you put all seasons on with snow, the car is just wanting to spin out of control.

It's really annoying when I see SUV's blast past me on the 404. It's those drivers that cause the accidents on the road. They assume because they have an SUV, they own the road during the winter. That's why I just laugh at some SUV drivers that get stuck in the ditch who just 10 minutes ago passed me at a blazing fast speed (for snow tiring at least)   :rolleyes:

A combination of good snow tires and proper driving is what works. You need to drive slowly, and make sure you have more space between the car in front of you. Turns also have to be slow. I made the mistake of having no snow tires for a while. That resulted in many spins. I remember one time I tried braking, but couldn't make it and ended up just sliding across a red at an intersection  :mask:
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

the Teuton

From my experience, our little short wheelbase Civic and and my Impreza are the two best winter cars I have ever seen.  To be honest, my brother's Contour and the minivan both kinda suck in the snow in comparison, even though my parents used to the van to drop my brother off at college in upstate NY and came back successfully during a snow storm.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!