Dodge Challenger Confirmed

Started by Catman, June 13, 2005, 06:48:19 PM

Catman

Dodge Plans a Challenger for Hot Mustang

By Rick Kranz

Automotive News, June 13, 2005

Dodge is Expected to Resurrect the Name 'Challenger,' Which Graced its Famous 1970s Muscle Car

DETROIT -- Watch out, Ford Mustang. Dodge is preparing a challenger.

In fact, it's likely to be called Challenger.

Chrysler plans to resurrect a respected name from the pony car era for a rear-wheel-drive Mustang fighter, industry sources say. The car is expected in 2009 on the LX platform, the basis of the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum and Charger.

"It is a two-door, essentially a competitor for the Mustang," says Catherine Madden, a production analyst for industry research group Global Insight. "They are really excited about it."

Madden says the sport coupe is planned to debut in 2009, when the next-generation LX vehicles are scheduled to be re-engineered and restyled.

"They would be able to make some additional investment in the platform, make some adjustments for that product" at that time, she says.

"The enthusiasm for that product," Madden says, is "very big."

Chrysler hopes to sell 60,000 to 70,000 of the cars a year, she says. An assembly site was not identified. Production of the 300, Magnum and recently introduced Charger is expected to fill Chrysler's Brampton, Ontario, assembly plant.

Chrysler officials are not talking about the car, but industry analysts say they are familiar with the plans.

Jim Hall, vice president of industry analysis at AutoPacific Inc., says he isn't sure Chrysler can pull it off. "They have a lot of stuff that has to be cleared off the table before they start playing around with that car," he says.

The redesigned 2005 Mustang has exceeded initial sales estimates. Ford expects to build 192,000 Mustangs this year, and most retail units are selling at a price near the sticker.

The 1970-74 Challenger was Dodge's answer to the original Mustang, as well as the Chevrolet Camaro, Pontiac Firebird, Mercury Cougar and AMC Javelin.

And, yes, the original Challenger had a Hemi V-8.

giant_mtb

Do you think they're bringing back to many musclecars?  :blink:

Pics?

TBR

This car will probably have a stick.  

giant_mtb

Secret Chimp

So far they've made rather heavy-ass cars using the LX platform. I hope they at least make it look a little like the old T/A.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Catman

QuoteSo far they've made rather heavy-ass cars using the LX platform. I hope they at least make it look a little like the old T/A.
My dad a 340 six pack T/A back when I was really young.  That car was sweet.

From what I gather the car will offer a manual and that's one of the reasons for the delayed release as it will require some mods.  

TBR

QuoteSo far they've made rather heavy-ass cars using the LX platform. I hope they at least make it look a little like the old T/A.
The 300, Magnum, and Charger really aren't that heavy considering their size and rwd configuration.  

Raza

If they're trying to position it against the Mustang, they're going to have to move fast, it's going to have to be fast, and it's going to have to be a stick.  Otherwise, everyone will stick with the Stang or the 350Z.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

The 300, Magnum, and Charger really aren't that heavy considering their size and rwd configuration.
Yes, they are.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Personally i don't see Chrysler putting a stick behind a hemi powered sedan anytime soon. They really want to be the american benz company, and i think they are willing to kill off the stick to do it.

Raza

Watch out, Ford Mustang. Dodge is preparing a challenger.

It is a two-door, essentially a competitor for the Mustang

They would be able to make some additional investment in the platform, make some adjustments for that product

All those say to me "this will have a stick"

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Yes, they are.
No, they really aren't. 3721 lbs for a large rwd sedan that costs only $30,000 isn't bad at all.  

Raza

Yes, they are.
No, they really aren't. 3721 lbs for a large rwd sedan that costs only $30,000 isn't bad at all.
The Charger RT is 4000.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Run Away

Our minivan weights 4000lbs..^_^

Raza

QuoteOur minivan weights 4000lbs..^_^
So does my ego!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Yes, they are.
The Charger RT is 4000.
3700 lbs was for a 300, it must have been the base model. Still, 4000 lbs isn't bad at all.  

Raza

Yes, they are.
The Charger RT is 4000.
3700 lbs was for a 300, it must have been the base model. Still, 4000 lbs isn't bad at all.
Yes, it is!  You've got the wrong mentality...you think it's not that heavy comparably, but comparing a car of mediocre weight to other cars of mediocre weight doesn't make for amazing results.  No passenger car should weigh 4000 pounds.  The Mustang is too heavy as well.  How's that?  Hell, my Passat, which weighs less than the Mustang, is also too damn heavy.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Yes, they are.
The Charger RT is 4000.
Yes, it is!  You've got the wrong mentality...you think it's not that heavy comparably, but comparing a car of mediocre weight to other cars of mediocre weight doesn't make for amazing results.  No passenger car should weigh 4000 pounds.  The Mustang is too heavy as well.  How's that?  Hell, my Passat, which weighs less than the Mustang, is also too damn heavy.
I agree that it would be nice if it was lighter, but you just can't engineer a large sedan to weigh 3000 lbs and still have all of the necessary creature comforts, especially at a low price point where you don't have the budget to use a lot of light metals. Your expectations in this area are impossible to fulfill at this point in time.

Raza

Yes, they are.
The Charger RT is 4000.
I agree that it would be nice if it was lighter, but you just can't engineer a large sedan to weigh 3000 lbs and still have all of the necessary creature comforts, especially at a low price point where you don't have the budget to use a lot of light metals. Your expectations in this area are impossible to fulfill at this point in time.
Eh, I might have been harsh.  But 3600 should be the most this weighs.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Yes, they are.
The Charger RT is 4000.
I strongly disagree, you can't expect Chrysler to engineer a 340hp RWD large sedan that costs $30,000 and weighs only 3600 lbs, it is entirely unrealistic.  

Raza

Yes, they are.
The Charger RT is 4000.
I strongly disagree, you can't expect Chrysler to engineer a 340hp RWD large sedan that costs $30,000 and weighs only 3600 lbs, it is entirely unrealistic.
The LX is based on the E class platform, isn't it?

An E320 weighs roughly 3500-3600.  With a V8?  Okay, 3700.

Cut out all the sound deadeding material, use aluminum or fiberglass hoods and trunk lids, lightweight rims, no full size spare--that should cut out about 200 pounds or so.  Maybe 100.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Yes, they are.
The Charger RT is 4000.
The LX is based on the E class platform, isn't it?

An E320 weighs roughly 3500-3600.  With a V8?  Okay, 3700.

Cut out all the sound deadeding material, use aluminum or fiberglass hoods and trunk lids, lightweight rims, no full size spare--that should cut out about 200 pounds or so.  Maybe 100.
Take out the aluminum body work and suspension pieces and you have just added that weight and more back on.  Besides, the E500 weighs 3800 lbs.  

Run Away

So does my ego!

Raza

So does my ego!
Pancakes!  Not WAFFLES!  PANCAKES!!!!!!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GMPenguin

So does my ego!
Pancakes!  Not WAFFLES!  PANCAKES!!!!!!

mmmmmm......waffles

mazda6er

So does my ego!
It must wiegh more than that Raza, maybe your scale is broken.  :lol:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

Yet another intelligent debate turned into an argument about waffles and egos... ;) :lol:  

BMWDave

QuoteYet another intelligent debate turned into an argument about waffles and egos... ;) :lol:
:lol:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

But..."ego" has two G's...at least the waffles do... :blink:  ;)  

TBR

QuoteBut..."ego" has two G's...at least the waffles do... :blink:  ;)
But ego as in "the inflated idea one has of himself or herself" does not.