Motor Trend Compact comparo

Started by MX793, June 14, 2005, 02:00:55 PM

MX793

Ever since I purchased my Mazda, I've been eagerly awaiting a published comparo from the major magazines.  C&D seems to be in no hurry to do so (despite several new entries to the compact segment), they are likely awaiting the new Civic's arrival before they do a comparo.  MT isn't my favorite mag, but I figured I'd check out the issue.  Here are a few comments.

First, I felt it was unfair to pit the Cobalt LS against sport oriented versions of the competition like the Focus ST, Mazda3s, and Corolla XRS.  The LS was not meant to compete against those, it is made as a general use compact with softer suspension and more comfortable ride.  Something along the lines of a regular Corolla or Civic LX.

My second big disappointment was to find that the Mazda they tested was a 4 spd auto.  Every other car there had a 5 speed stick (even the GM product, and we know how averse GM is to manual gearboxes).  What gives?  I've been wanting to see how a manual 3s sedan stacks up against an XRS and I find myself still waiting to see it.

My third comment was with regard to quoted stats for the Mazda.  I'm skimmin the article and I notice they say that the 2.3L motor is rated at 160 hp in "dirty" states, but in the Green states (CA, NY, et al), the motor is only rated at 144 hp and 132 lb-ft.  Wha!!!!?  Being a NY resident, this made me dig out my window sticker and brochure, since I was under the impression that my car had 160 ponies, and after checking my sources, it does.  Was this detuning something for the '05 models?  I doubt it.  The torque number did not jive with a 2.3L motor.  The Focus ST uses the same 2.3L motor as the Mazda though in a slightly different state of tune and it makes 150+ hp and 150+ lb-ft in 50 states.  Then, while looking through my brochure, I notice that the 2.0L motor in the 3i has two power ratings.  148 hp in most states and 144 hp (132 lb-ft) in the Green states.  Add to this the 8.6 second 0-60 time they got for the car, which seems pretty quick for a 2900 lb car with only 144/132 and a 4AT and I'm thinking they quoted the wrong numbers.  Nice job, MT.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

ifcar

Chevrolet doesn't have a sport sedan variation of the Cobalt available, and I assume that MT decided that it was better to put in a mainstream version of the first new Chevrolet compact in a decade than to ignore it completely. As to the manual/auto issue, I doubt that they chose an auto-equipped Mazda3 on purpose. They can only test whatever the manufacturer is willing to provide.

That said, I wasn't thrilled with the comparo either. I certainly couldn't find any consistant basis for their rankings; there was no specific trait or combination of traits that they seemed to consider important. I could have picked an equally logical order with my eyes closed, and probably would have explained it better as well.